Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Duke
Junior

If you go with mono, don't look past Moimoi. They make the best mono IMO. I also like Berkley Big Game, as it is cheaper.

As for me, almost all my rods now have switched over to braid. There's only a few applications that in which using mono would benefit, but frankly throwing lures, trolling bait/lures, and jigging all work better with braid.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
1Flatfish
Wayne

Braid

I remember when I first discovered braid. I switched everything over and couldn't stop raving about it. It was fun, but now I'm switching back to mono and fluorocarbon line if I'm not fishing near or in kelp. Too many knots and leaders. Braid does not sink as fast as fluoro (bay long lining) And I've come to realize that I just like the feel of good ole mono better. I do like the way braid comes off my little spinning reel better than mono. It doesn't seem to twist as much and has less spool memory. Also, it doesn't fly off the spool on it's own when I open the bail like some new mono likes to do.

Wayne
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Billy V

The answer "New Line" is a good one.

I usually stay with P-Line just because it always tests out high on the breakage scale, but I also have a spool of Berkley Big Game 40 lb. clear on the bench and can tell you its strong as hell.

Both work and you don't need to spend designer prices to get results.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote