Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

eye damage

I think I got a bit of sun damage to my eyes yesterday out on the water. Started feeling strained about mid day and still sore today. I'm pretty good about wearing my shades on the water but I think the cheap gas station sunglasses don't offer up much protection from uv. Anyone else experience this?

I always seem to break or lose expensive glasses so I buy the cheap ones. Now I'm reconsidering. Problem is, it's very hard to find shades that fit my face and look good. Wide head. I don't want to spend a large chunk on costas or maui Jims if I don't like the style or fit. Any big headed anglers have some suggestions on brands and styles that work for you? Something tuff enough that won't damage easily or cheap enough to be replaced when they get scratched. I'm rough on shades.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

My doctor told to always wear polarized sunglasses.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
Fishin Phil

I have been in your shoes from too many hours on the water. I wear prescription polarized sunglasses and it still kicked my butt. After a day you will feel better. Try Costco for some regular polarized sunglasses they will fit to size.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
octico

I have a wide head too I use the polarized Serfas Cycling sunglasses. You can get them at local bike shop. They are local too.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

maui jims .
Old 04-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
Drake

I always wear Hobie Polarized, mainly because I get them 60% off, so I own 5-6 pairs. Even at full retail the Boneyards and Encondidos are well priced. They fit my fat face and the polarization is great.

For an even cheaper option, check out Blenders. They are local in La Jolla, cool guys (my roommate went on a date with the owner) and I believe in supporting local. I own three pairs.

http://www.blenderseyewear.com/collections/sunglasses

USE THIS CODE AT CHECKOUT: 4EA54A0YJ624
for 40% off
Old 04-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I always wear Hobie Polarized, mainly because I get them 60% off, so I own 5-6 pairs. Even at full retail the Boneyards and Encondidos are well priced. They fit my fat face and the polarization is great.

For an even cheaper option, check out Blenders. They are local in La Jolla, cool guys (my roommate went on a date with the owner) and I believe in supporting local. I own three pairs.

http://www.blenderseyewear.com/collections/sunglasses

USE THIS CODE AT CHECKOUT: 4EA54A0YJ624
for 40% off
I'll check those out. I like supporting local whenever possible.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Chuck D

Costas=$
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
TJones

Problem is, it's very hard to find shades that fit my face and look good. Wide head. [/QUOTE]

That is gonna be a tough one . .
I will buzz you when back in town , or let me know if you come down south . I will update you on price for part .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
jruiz
Large Member

A wide brim hat. My recommendation is below

jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #11
CheapPelican

I read somewhere that having a brightly colored kayak causes more eye strain because of it reflecting more light towards you. I know, this doesn't help you any, but whatever.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #12
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
A wide brim hat. My recommendation is below

That doesn't help with reflective light from the water. I'll need the hat and a large dog cone

Old 04-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Problem is, it's very hard to find shades that fit my face and look good. Wide head.
That is gonna be a tough one . .
I will buzz you when back in town , or let me know if you come down south . I will update you on price for part .[/QUOTE]

Yeah hit me up

Old 04-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #14
FISH11

A couple times going out to La Jolla I forgot my sunglasses in the car. Tends to happen when you launch in the dark or early and foggy. After a day out on the water it felt like I had burned my eyes, gives you a headache and around your eyes it's kind of swollen. I too don't buy expensive glasses cause I'll sit on them or loose them. I buy mine at Big 5, they always have some brands on sale, usually around $40. They have more expensive brands too. I prefer Bolle, Body Glove, Gargoyles, Mauii and Nike. Always get with UV protection and polarized. Last pair I bought was Berkley Fishing Glasses at Walmart for like $19 and they work good.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #15
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
I think I got a bit of sun damage to my eyes yesterday out on the water. Started feeling strained about mid day and still sore today. I'm pretty good about wearing my shades on the water but I think the cheap gas station sunglasses don't offer up much protection from uv. Anyone else experience this?

I always seem to break or lose expensive glasses so I buy the cheap ones. Now I'm reconsidering. Problem is, it's very hard to find shades that fit my face and look good. Wide head. I don't want to spend a large chunk on costas or maui Jims if I don't like the style or fit. Any big headed anglers have some suggestions on brands and styles that work for you? Something tuff enough that won't damage easily or cheap enough to be replaced when they get scratched. I'm rough on shades.
Remember penny wise, pound foolish!
Ask an optometrist the damage the sun does to your eyes with the type of fishing we do! Cataract surgery is expensive along with loss of eyesight.
I have "Flexon" frames (unbreakable), and transition lenses and polarized lenses on each @ $350 per but never had eye strain and no current damage to my eyes.
As for losing them I treat them like my keys, a place for everything and everything in it's place. My fishing glasses I keep in my Fly fishing bag my shooting glasses in my shooting bag.
Just my .02
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #16
TJones

Priceless information

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
Remember penny wise, pound foolish!
Ask an optometrist the damage the sun does to your eyes with the type of fishing we do! Cataract surgery is expensive along with loss of eyesight.
I have "Flexon" frames (unbreakable), and transition lenses and polarized lenses on each @ $350 per but never had eye strain and no current damage to my eyes.
As for losing them I treat them like my keys, a place for everything and everything in it's place. My fishing glasses I keep in my Fly fishing bag my shooting glasses in my shooting bag.
Just my .02
FFY
. When I was a juvenile , my problem was I misplaced my glasses after .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #17
maui jim

Maui Jims.... No Ka Oi
Old 04-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #18
Siebler

Smith Elite glasses are awesome. Milspec glasses with Z87 lenses, i havnt even scratched them yet and have been abusing hell out of them. Crystal clear and are definitely better for eyes than cheap glasses

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #19
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm gonna shop around and see who has frames that fit.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #20
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post

I'm horrible with sunglasses. I usually buy the ones at Walmart by Berkely. $15 and they last a long time.

If I don't wear these while on the water my eyes water like crazy the rest of the day and even into the next. Best recommendation I can give you is to place a cool compress on your eyes. 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off and get really good rest.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote