Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
rastrev

LJ 6/14 am

launched a little after 4:30am and headed to the pier for bait, tough to make bait until greylight, then it was a nice assortment of spanish, greenies, and sardines, after that started heading out, ran into a guy bendo on a thresher, his story to tell, as I made it around the nw corner of the reserve started trolling a couple greenies, something tugs at my bottom bait, so a pick up the rod, take off the clicker, and wait... nothing, so I decided to reel it in to check my bait when it is about 30 ft away I see a 4-5 ft shark come up and grab it, rod loads up, then a couple seconds later it was gone, I didn't get a great look at it, but did get a good look at the tail and it definitely was not a thresher, I'm guessing mako
Anyways that was the excitement for me today other than having to deal with knothead biting off a couple of my baits
rastrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
madscientist

Shark infested waters for sure.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Shark infested waters for sure.
I totally agree...I would like to advise everybody, and I mean everybody, to stay off the water this weekend until the sharks move on...nothing to see here...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thanks for the report... probably won't be out until next week...
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Dennis

Thanks for the report...
Old 06-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Knothead has become a nuisance. His abscence alone would provide an exponetial amount of enjoyment and time of productive fishing. He needs to find great white mackerel and hang with him for a while..
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
goose

chum in the sharks!!! screw knothead
goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
jscott

Went out fishing Tues for PM shift (first night time landing-- definitely different!), Wed and Thursday AM shifts. Got to try out my new kayatank (I spent some money the day after the wife gave the OK!)...made a ton of bait and watched it stay alive all day! Cool. Between the 3 days-- only managed 1 big calico (just shy of 5#) who hit a BIG spanish. Lots of cuda slashed baits and sea lion stolen baits. Had one good hit, which turned into about a 20 second tow when I got the hook bitten clean off. I assume pup mako, but could have been a T. Crap! Would have liked to at least get color on that to ID it better. Other than that-- slow! Also-- Tues Night I saw a dead sea lion at the launch when we came back in (right in the middle of the driveway). Thursday Morning-- there was another dead sea lion in the same spot (and this one was STINKY!). I guess that arsenic in my macs is finally getting to them!

(RELAX PETA-- I'M JUST KIDDING!!)
The elusive WSB stays away from me-- 6 trips for me since may when they were showing up pretty good...and NADA. Oh well-- "that's why they call it........."
Nice to get out and paddle around-- works' been tough so I hadn't been out in a while. Good luck out there!

-jason
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:17 AM   #9
esdees
The Good Clone

Wed PM and Thur PM - both trips my bait tube was attacked by a mako. I hooked one Thurs and watched it jump 3 or 4 times before it cut the line. La Jolla is infested, keep your feet in the boat.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #10
DBITE

Hopefully the Makos and Humbolts will fight to the death and all thats left will be WSB and yellows
DBITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #11
SDdude

Hey Rastrev,
that was me bendo with the thresher by the reserve's corner buoy. Again, thank you very much for answering the call for an assist. I had that thresher on for about 15 minutes, hoping someone with a camera would come along, and you answered the call. My usual fishing buddy couldn't sneak away from work that morning. It sucks to have a thresher on, then two on, and no one around to witness it or photograph it (from a safe distance, of course). The thresher was circling my yak doing laps, occassionally jumping clean out of the water, as they do. Would have made a great video footage. He wasn't a big one, 4.5 to 5 feet. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the thresher alongside the yak to give you a good photo op, but I appreciate any bendo photos you may have taken.

Actually, at one point I had a double hookup with threshers. When I was on with thresher #1, I had forgotten all about my other line in the water. While fighting #1 out in front of my yak, I heard a commotion behind me, turned to see another thresher jump out of the water about 20 ft behind me, and that's when my other line peels out. Shit! So I backed off the drag a bit on #1, put the rod down and sat on it, then began to fight number two. Fortunately, #2 somehow became unbuttoned after a couple of minutes. Fine with me, allowed me to concentrate on #1. I think that's right about when you showed up. To finish the story, I lost #1 when, as he was along side me about 3 or 4 feet down, he made a run directly under my kayak and ran the spectra right through one of my Mirage Drive Turbo fins. Put a slice about a 3rd of the way through the fin, and the additional drag of that allowed the thresher to break the line off at the hook. Note to Hobie Mirage Drive yakkers: when fighting a thresher (or any other large game fish) with Spectra, it may be a good idea to take the ten seconds needed to pull the drive up and out of harm's way. Just another in a long succession of fishing "micro-lessons" I learned from that incident. I wasn't looking for a thresher hookup, and I wasn't prepared for it either with a buddy, equipment, or experience, so it's probably a good thing it ended the way it did, with no damage to body parts.

Again, thanks for the assist, Rastrev. I sent you a PM before I saw your post. Should have checked those first...

--Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastrev View Post
launched a little after 4:30am and headed to the pier for bait, tough to make bait until greylight, then it was a nice assortment of spanish, greenies, and sardines, after that started heading out, ran into a guy bendo on a thresher, his story to tell, as I made it around the nw corner of the reserve started trolling a couple greenies, something tugs at my bottom bait, so a pick up the rod, take off the clicker, and wait... nothing, so I decided to reel it in to check my bait when it is about 30 ft away I see a 4-5 ft shark come up and grab it, rod loads up, then a couple seconds later it was gone, I didn't get a great look at it, but did get a good look at the tail and it definitely was not a thresher, I'm guessing mako
Anyways that was the excitement for me today other than having to deal with knothead biting off a couple of my baits

Last edited by SDdude; 06-17-2007 at 07:35 AM.
SDdude is offline   Reply With Quote