Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
Earl E. Retire
Junior

SF, there's a natural ecosystem activity taking place here... If the only fishermen in LJ were other seals, knothead would have to challenge them for food. The peers would try to do painful things to knothead so they could keep their food. Instead, knothead is a protected species and has found an easier way to scrounge a meal than fighting his own kind for it. Yak fishermen are only doing the same thing as the peer dogs would do -- fighting back. As long as they fight fair (i.e., don't use methods that will harm other things or people in the process, don't break laws), the fishermen have every right to fight to deter knothead from being overly aggressive around them.
SF, just because you haven't had a bad experience with a dog doesn't mean other people who have been intimidated by knothead have to share your live and let live perspective. If I want to fight the furry bastard for my fish, then I have every right to.
EER
Earl E. Retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
jscott

In malibu, I have had a bird steal my bait a couple times....many times they get snagged...and I do my best to release them unharmed. Benefit here is-- bird learns a lesson. The sea lions up there are curious around yakkers-- but have not been a problem. They stay a reasonable distance away-- if they get a little close-- a paddle slap on the water keeps them away. I don't believe I have had baits stolen up there from them. In fact, I regularly hang fish over the side-- such as bass, rockfish that I am taking home. When I hear a sea lion in the vicinity, I merely pick up the clip and toss in the back.
I have heard at least 3 stories over the last year or so of kayakfisherman getting fish stolen and yaks flipped in LJ. I never hang fish there. Knothead specifically, after seeing him in action-- merely cruises all the kayakfisherman, fearless-- picks up the baits (behind the hook leaving heads only on the hook)...then goes to next yakker. He does his rounds-- very successful. Smart guy-- and without any consequences from us==> will continue to do the same. In MS's story with the trap hook-- I bet the dog didn't like that one. I would bet, if all yakkers used trap rigs, it would slow him down. Unfortunately, I don't know what that would do for bait presentation for yellows/wsb--> may not be the way to go. This is no longer a 'wild' creature...it has become domesticated and expects a free meal. Unfortunately, when your pet dog jumps up on the table when you are eating, and you smack him on the nose-- no-one calls you an animal hater! You are training the animal to act appropriately. Why the issue in the case of the sea lion? Most suggestions here are non-lethal to TRAIN the animal to find another source of food.
Just my 2cents.
-scott
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
madscientist

I don't think the knothead even cares about the occassional hook in his mouth. Tyler hooked him earlier that day and I've hooked him many times. He usually avoids the hook but I figure his mouth must be pure scar tissue so he may not even care that much. In the past I've hooked him, tugged free, and had him come right back for more. He's definitely a tough mofo, I'll give him that.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
SDdude

I've been carrying a wrist-rocket with me since they became legal, although I have not yet had an opportunity to use it on the water. Although some believe it's unwise, I do intend to use it against knothead or any other aggressive sea lion that comes within a few feet of me with obvious bad intent. I'm hoping that he'll respect the pain, and come to associate pain with kayak fisherman. Lupus non mordet lupum.

If it results in my demise and someone finds me face-down tangled in the kelp belds, let it be known that I bequeath my kayak to my daughter Sommer, and my fishing gear and electronics (if recovered) to my friend Brian who is responsible for introducing me to kayak fishing in the first place.

Wish me luck.

--Raleigh