Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2015, 11:58 PM   #1
Ro12

What to wear when the cold gets here

What do you guys recommend or actually use clothing wise for cold weather
Wet suit or waders
I'm lovin shorts right now
Thats all I got
This is my first season out on the water
I wanna keep goin all year
But I hate the cold and get cold pretty easy
Don't wanna have to wait till next summer
What would be good for me to look into investing in on a budget
Not sayin its gonna get cold
Weather water temp and fish have been badass lately
But if Mother Nature decides to switch things up
Turns the season into fall and then winter
What's your advice on apparel
Thanks
Ro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
jorluivil

Cold weather?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:32 AM   #3
Fish Taco

Look... I grew up in SoCal... but spent 12 years on Long Island, NY recently (moved back to SoCal 2 yrs ago)... but took on kayak fishing for the first time while in NY. I belonged to the KFA-NY club (Kayak Fishing Association of New York). They stress safety in our sport, and rightly so. PFDs and Cold Weather Gear are serious considerations for your safety back there... we're talking c-c-c-cold water temps in the fall, winter, and spring. Enough so that to turtle in those conditions unprepared could lead easily to death... hypothermia is no joking matter. Read up on it, seriously.

I know that the water temps here are currently very warm. But yes, even in the winter here in SoCal... hypothermia is a concern... especially if things go badly quickly.

My Immersion Research drysuit may be an expensive investment.... but as they say... how expensive is your funeral? I have two teenage kids, and a wife... I take my safety seriously when on the water in my kayak. Staying warm and dry should something go awry is my first concern. $600 bucks. Ask yourself. Is it worth your life? I know this is SoCal... and temps aren't quite the same as New York... but hey... if you're in the water for an extended time... hypothermia is a real threat to your safety. Kokatat, IR, and many others out there offer protection from the elements. Ask yourself... do I want to come home in a body bag, or prepared for the worst case in a drysuit? You never know. I had a hard time pulling the trigger spending so much on a safety device as a drysuit, but I also have peace of mind that if sh*t happens, I'm prepared to stay in the water if need be until rescued.

I may rarely use it out here in SoCal, compared to what I would've used it in New York, but I'm glad I own it... and when water temps drop... you can count I'll have it on. Food for thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0930_zpsuu0nnzjq.jpg (42.7 KB, 342 views)

Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:48 AM   #4
Fishin' Magician

I usually wear stocking foot dry chest waders when it starts to get cooler out, but I'm thinking of getting some kayak wader pants. I've always been a bit concerned about the chest waders filling up with water should I get dumped out of my yak. Hasn't happened yet, but I was very nearly run over by some jerk in a speed boat in San Diego Bay last winter. Not so much worried about the cold or hypothermia here, the water rarely gets too much below 60 degrees, but sometimes I've been on the water when it was in the low 40's (air temp).

Dress in layers with your waterproof jacket or windbreaker on the outside and you'll be fine.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:30 AM   #5
Mahigeer

I have to find what I got from the OEX's online store. I will post it.

It is a quick drying and warm pants and I have a upper jacket that sit-inside kayakers wear. The neck, sleeves and the waist are tight rubber to seal.

I also bought a wader with zipper for convenience.

Whenever a wader is worn it must be worn with a snug waist belt. Whether fishing or kayaking.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Good question Ro12. I'm interested too.

So far I use easy layers, and I plan for the temperature of the water adjusted for wind, roughness and likelihood of being wet.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
hamburglar
Junior

First time I pulled up a sabiki that dry suit would have a buncha holes in it. Like someone already said having the chest strap tightened on waders will keep em from filling with water during a quick dunk in the surf.
hamburglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #8
ctfphoto

Waders for a couple of years.

Now heavy duty Splash Pants and a parka.

You can layer under clothes and I use a Thermal or HeatGear Shirt.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
skrilla

I wear board shorts year round. Winter time I'll put on a shirt.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #10
Dannowar

holy crap i didn't know Farva posted here!!!!!

Old 10-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #11
captnblood34

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
I wear board shorts year round. Winter time I'll put on a shirt.
Yup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dave hester yup.jpg (75.9 KB, 278 views)
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #12
Ro12

Thanks for replies guys
Yeah I'm lookin into waders
Wetsuit might be a problem but I ain't sure
Never put one on
Haven't tried waders either though
But my weight fluctuates and to my knowledge wetsuits need to be a tight fit
Now do you guys use boots with the waders
That $600 suit did get me thinkin
I got 2 kids I need to get back home to
But I'd have to put a lot more hours on the water to rationalize that purchase
I'll look into something like that in the future
When I grow a pair and go out at night or early morn
Now say the waders do fill with water even if you're wearing the belt
They look pretty loose
Could you just slip out of em
Or are you screwed
Thanks again
Old 10-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #13
Mahigeer

If waders fill up, you may be able to remove the belt and the suspenders and get them off. Worst case scenario is to cut them as low as possible to allow drainage of the water. Just a theory of mine.

I agree that wet suites shrink...wink wink. I had to have mine enlarged by 2" on several places.

The problem with wet suite is that it could get too hot while paddling to get to your spot and then you sit waiting sweaty in the wind. If it is windy.

I do were booths with my wet suite and dive booties if I am in shorts or light pants.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 10-10-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:46 PM   #14
Ro12

Was lookin through kayak fishing supplies
Saw the NRS Rio outer layer package
I'm guessing it keeps you dry
Does it keep you warm
I've never held waders in my hands
But I'm guessing they gotta be kinda thick
Do waders offer some warmth
Maybe waders with a jacket over top
I really got no clue
Excuse my ignorance
Old 10-11-2015, 12:10 AM   #15
easyday

I even wear waders during the summer sometimes. Get a breathable pair and just layer underneath. The waders themselves don't really do a whole lot for warmth but do keep you DRY. There are usually some good sales around Black Friday which is coming up. Just keep your eyes out for a good deal.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:31 AM   #16
Mahigeer

Long Johns under the waders works fine, again providing you don't get too hot during paddling.

Definitely breathable waders are the way to go and not the neoprene ones.
Actually I had a pair of neoprene ones and did not like them at all. I only used them for fishing.
Hell of a job to get into, especially with the one piece which had boots attached to it.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 10-11-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #17
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco View Post
Look... I grew up in SoCal... but spent 12 years on Long Island, NY recently (moved back to SoCal 2 yrs ago)... but took on kayak fishing for the first time while in NY. I belonged to the KFA-NY club (Kayak Fishing Association of New York). They stress safety in our sport, and rightly so. PFDs and Cold Weather Gear are serious considerations for your safety back there... we're talking c-c-c-cold water temps in the fall, winter, and spring. Enough so that to turtle in those conditions unprepared could lead easily to death... hypothermia is no joking matter. Read up on it, seriously.

I know that the water temps here are currently very warm. But yes, even in the winter here in SoCal... hypothermia is a concern... especially if things go badly quickly.

My Immersion Research drysuit may be an expensive investment.... but as they say... how expensive is your funeral? I have two teenage kids, and a wife... I take my safety seriously when on the water in my kayak. Staying warm and dry should something go awry is my first concern. $600 bucks. Ask yourself. Is it worth your life? I know this is SoCal... and temps aren't quite the same as New York... but hey... if you're in the water for an extended time... hypothermia is a real threat to your safety. Kokatat, IR, and many others out there offer protection from the elements. Ask yourself... do I want to come home in a body bag, or prepared for the worst case in a drysuit? You never know. I had a hard time pulling the trigger spending so much on a safety device as a drysuit, but I also have peace of mind that if sh*t happens, I'm prepared to stay in the water if need be until rescued.

I may rarely use it out here in SoCal, compared to what I would've used it in New York, but I'm glad I own it... and when water temps drop... you can count I'll have it on. Food for thought.

I grew up fishing Redondo Bch, Lived on Long Island for 5 yrs, and now in Florida. I can appreciate what you say regarding cold. Lost a friend off SoCal when his sea urchin boat sank -- 6 of his crew were rescued 17 hours later -- surviving because they had their wetsuits on. That was before Personal Location Beacons(PLB's) existed. For $250 a PLB is the best piece of safety equipment in areas where hyperthermia is not an immediate concern. For staying warm, I am surprised a light wetsuit is not more popular. I would think an oversized stock model with lots of zippers that could be left open most of the time to stay cool would be a consideration. Seems like chest wader boots would greatly compromise mobility if you ever flip. In South Florida, I do wear a neopreme jacket during winter.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #18
Ro12

Thanks for the help guys
I'll look into the breathable ones
Now if I have layers under and it gets hot
How easy or hard are they to get off or back on
Is it possible in a yak
Or is it something you do only when you on dry land
Old 10-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #19
Mahigeer

Depending on your balancing skills and having a place to put the wader, you could take them off.

I personally would not risk it.

If you take your top off and leave the waders on, you may not be too hot.

You should always have drinking water for hydration.

Pleas let us know what works. I found my clothing that I was talking about, but did not see any ID on them. I will try to find the paper work if I can.

Best wishes.

P.S. I just saw these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/dry-pants-wa...item25aed93835

Last edited by Mahigeer; 10-11-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:13 PM   #20
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Sorry to butt in on this, but this is why I love to fish the SEA of Cortez, water was 88 degrees this week.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote