Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
todd one

Epic Fail Game Clipping

So I went out to San Diego Bay to chase Halibut today. After hitting the bait barge, I headed straight to the North Island side. There I saw 2 kayakers fishing. They told me the bite was just started to pick up. I guess they were right. As soon as I left them, just a couple hundred yards up the way, I was hooked up. Right away I knew it was a pretty good one. After about a 3 or 4 minute fight I get her up. She was well over 30 inches, and she was gassed, or she seemed to be. She just laid out and gave me a clean shot like I like them to do. This is where everything went wrong on my part.
I never took the safety off of the gaff as I usually do right after I get bait. So I did it as I was pulling her up. I took what was supposed to be a clean shot, I hit her up high behind the head. I knew it wasn't a good gaff job because I never turned the safety around out of the way, and the gaff didn't go all the way through. I was going to game clip her while still in the water. as I saw Greg Andrews do in his videos. I had the rod in one had and the gaff with the fish on, head out of water in the other hand. With both hand full I looked back at my game clip. And before I could set the rod down she goes ballistic. She put so much water in my face, My eyes were closed, cheeks blown up like Dizzy Gillespie, and yak rocking. Then all of a sudden, my rod is bent and line is peeling off. She's off the gaff. I drop the gaff and start reeling again. In no time at all she shakes the hook and she's gone. I guess I'll have to watch Greg's video again.
After sitting there for a couple minutes, reflecting on everything I did wrong, I proceed up toward the jetty. It's been so slow lately, I'm thinking that was my shot for the day. No! 20 minutes later, I'm hooked up again. I knew this one was even better than the last one when I got her to the yak and she was still at the bottom. I got her half way up to where I could see her. She was a beauty, In the upper 30's, much longer than my 24 inch gaff. Other than a little head shake, she was she had pretty much given up. as I'm trying the get her in reach of the gaff, she spits the hook, and she's gone too. Today just wasn't my day, but it restored my faith in the SD bay. I thought it was over until next season. I'll be back out in the next couple of days to redeem myself.
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Dannowar

greg definetely has the halibut landing down, ive taken many mental notes and applied to great success.

this stuff happens, makes for a good story and learning experience. youll get her back next time, even bigger!

we'll be pounding around little bay in the morning if youre lookin for company
Old 09-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
greg definetely has the halibut landing down, ive taken many mental notes and applied to great success.

this stuff happens, makes for a good story and learning experience. youll get her back next time, even bigger!

we'll be pounding around little bay in the morning if youre lookin for company
Thanks for the invite. I'm getting ready to head back out there. Good luck at Mission.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Sorry Todd...sounds kinda like the Chargers game...
Keep trying...
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
grey zone

Game clips are popular but not the best for big fish especially halibut. Trying to hold a fish on a gaff with one hand while inserting a game clip through the gills and closing it with the other can be a challenge. I use a super sized home made trout stringer. I made it with about a 20" piece of bamboo tip which I attached a cord to. I tied a metal ring to the othere end. I have a cleet mounted on the deck of my kayak so once the fish has been placed on the stringer I wrap the cord around the cleet and the fish is secure. If you catch more fish they can be added to the stringer very easily.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Linglifter

If u got the head out of the water kill the thing. I like to get a good whop on the head with a wooden club. One good crack to subdue. I do this with big lings and salmon. Makes landing it easier for me. I've seen a 30 lb but wreck a deck and my buddy. Gaffing then Whopping works too. I want me a big but .
Linglifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
bosshoss

Hey Todd, It was cool meeting last week at Shelter Island. Mike and I knew we would run into the Big Bay Hali Guru eventually..

On a second note, way to find them. Always enjoy your reports....

See ya......
bosshoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

Todd, next time you catch a halibut try gaffing the fish in the belly. I don't know if you are aware of it... but if you gaff there, your fish will be paralyzed until the gaff is removed. Don't believe me...? try it. It should give you enough time to game clip and knock-out your fish. Remember not to take the gaff out until the fish is secure and or knocked out or are ready for a ride!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Damn Todd. I opened this and started reading before I read that u posted it. That's a dagger. Glad yo see they are still there. Lets link up soon.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
walrus

Hey, congrats on another flatfish, sorry it didn't completely work out but you seem to attract them to your kayak.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
Sorry Todd...sounds kinda like the Chargers game...
Keep trying...
lol Randy, Sorry about you Chargers too.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Todd, next time you catch a halibut try gaffing the fish in the belly. I don't know if you are aware of it... but if you gaff there, your fish will be paralyzed until the gaff is removed. Don't believe me...? try it. It should give you enough time to game clip and knock-out your fish. Remember not to take the gaff out until the fish is secure and or knocked out or are ready for a ride!
As a matter of fact, I am aware Of that. My Buddy Randy (old Man and The Sea) told me that. I just got a little over anxious. I didn't aim for anything particular. I just put the gaff in the water and gave her my best shot.

I did catch one today though. I was a little more calm. Took may time and gaffed her right in the stomach. She didn't move until she was clipped and bled. It definitely works. I'll be hitting them all in the stomach from now on.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshoss View Post
Hey Todd, It was cool meeting last week at Shelter Island. Mike and I knew we would run into the Big Bay Hali Guru eventually..

On a second note, way to find them. Always enjoy your reports....

See ya......
Thanks. Good meeting you guys too. Hopefully next time I see you guys down there, I'll actually be fishing. We can chase then together.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #14
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
Hey, congrats on another flatfish, sorry it didn't completely work out but you seem to attract them to your kayak.
walrus. I think I met you at Dana Landing.