Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Dana Pt, 5-21-13

Woke up late, but decided to hit it anyways (had to be home by noon). Launched at the ramp around 7am and went straight to the pipe. It was overcast with some morning sickness that came and went all morning. Water was 68-69º.

The first hour was slow with only 2 fish, though they were legal calicoes. Then it died for a bit, then 5 more fish in an hour. These were a mix of legals and shorts, sand and calico. Finished the last hour with only a couple bites. PArt of the problem looking back was that I started in 50' and worked my way shallow. At some point the water changed color and jumped up 1 degree. I should've paddled back out to deeper water where I had been getting my fish, but by the time I noticed it was getting close to time to go. So I stuck it out for nada on the inside.

Hot baits were definitely darker... 5.5" Big Hammer in Christmas tree,
3" and 4" Edge Flurries in Fire Avocado and 4" Sea Food. Not a bite on the lighter colors. All baits had Hot Sauce.

Around 10:00 the wind turned and came out of the northwest and I headed in. Got to the ramp and loaded everything up. Went to close the tailgate and felt a pop in my back. Didn't think much of it until I got home and when I got out of my truck and couldn't stand up. Damn back! Ended up having to have my brother come over and unload my truck for me.

I'm now missing work and can't afford to do that. But, at least I caught a few.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
sanjuancapokayak

Thanks Ed for the report. Sorry bout your back issue. Got a bad one myself and I know how that hurts, like someone stabbed ya with a knife. You did tons better than I did this morning. I shoulda went with... Wed. are easier nights for me at work, so I prefer Weds. That is until this Wed. Hit the water with high hopes (cause I haven't hit the water for a month and a half). Should have fished the harbor and grabbed the hint when spray was coming over the jetty at a quarter after five in the morning. Wind was strong a continuous. I normally don't get seasick, but this was some confused seas. Tide, Wind and Swell all outta wack. Headed in at 9am with a visit from a used to be legal. Said, Thanks good buddy...just couldn't fish today. Had to pay to much attention to just staying up with all the narliness. Oh Well, went to the Headlands and it was the 1st time I've regreted taking out the Kayak out in around 20 trips. Shoulda read your report and went to the pipe instead.
sanjuancapokayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
sanjuancapokayak

didn't hurl, but was close...getting too old- even roller coasters seem different. I'm taking the dramamine next time out.
sanjuancapokayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
stephenG

Tough break on the back but atleast you got on some fish. those are pretty solid numbers for just a few hours, expecially on all plastics. congrats.
stephenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Amish Ed

Wow, sounds like a change in the weather, for the worst. Glad you didn't hurl though I'm lucky, I only get sea sick if I'm down below in a boat, and it's really rough. I know what you mean about regretting paddling out. I've had a few of those days at Dana.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Amish Ed

Thanks Stephen. It's been weird at the pipe. Last fall/winter/spring I was doing like 20-30 fish a trip, this fall/winter/spring has been more like 5. Don't know where those fish have gone, but they went somewhere.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
stephenG

wow, guess you know something i don't. i dont think i have ever got more than 5 fish off the pipe. maybe you got some numbers that i dont. let me know if you ever wanta show me where the party is.
stephenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
capntim

Sorry to hear about your back. My biggest fear about this getting older crap! At least you got out.
capntim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
Amish Ed

Stephen, like I said this year has been really funky. But, I usually go on either Mondays or Tuesdays. Next week won't happen with my back out, perhaps next week?

The key for me has always been about keeping in contact with the pipe as much as possible. Of course that means losing lots of lead too. But, that's how I know I'm doing it the way I want to. I do use Slayer Heads sometimes which helps with losing heads. My favorite head for the 4" Flurry (which is my primary bait) is a 1oz head with 4/0 hook. It gets to the bottom quickly on a long cast and stays down well.

As far as #'s go I usually fish it from 55'-40'. I know I should probably try deeper though. Guess I'm stuck in a rut that I need to break out of.

Hopefully that helps a little.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Amish Ed

Yeah Tim, getting old stinks. But, my back has been bad since I was a kid so It's nothing new. I'm just glad my yak was already loaded when it went.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
easyday

Ill be finally able to hit up dana point again soon and in a brand new yak. I have had trouble even finding the pipe.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
Amish Ed

Easy, check your pm's. What yak did you get?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #13
easyday

Just got a malibu x factor wanted the stealth but malibu is having a hard time getting the different color resins in stock. So cj over at oex tokd me they had an x Factor in the color I wanted in stock, im havim them throw a ff and plumb the live well. I pick it up on Sunday, and I cant say enough good things about the customer service that OEX provides.