Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
PapaDave

DP 03-16/17

Fished half day Staurday, all day Sunday. Here is the deal...

Conditions:

Wind started off from the SW, calmed, then from the NW, calmed, then from the SW toards evening. Rather gentle, light wind chop, barely any swell. Cool, but nice once the sun broke through the overcast.

Water:

Dirty green or even brown along some areas of the beach, don't know the temp.

Fishing:

On the water at around 9am. Decided to go light, got some chovies at the receivers, nice sized and healthy. Headed down the beach to find something hungry. Saturday I got some small halibut and a couple of formerly legal sand bass close to the harbor, no time to run farther. Sunday I went down the beach and got a smorgasboard. One bat ray, several small halibut, three small sand bass, two formerly legal Calicos, several Leopards and one short WSB. Bite turned off about 2:30, but as stubborn as I am I was out until 7pm.

All in all not a bad couple of days, on light tackle even shorts are fun. And the Leos are awesome on a Stradic 1000 and ultra light rod. All were released, not necessarily on purpose though...
Old 03-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
FishNinjaY

I'll probably be out there this Friday ~10am, testing out my new Hobie Oasis... can't wait!

Any tips would be welcome!
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

PD,

How was the fog out there? I watched the doheny cam friday and it never burned off. Were there any signs of the grunions making an appearance there?
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
PD,

How was the fog out there? I watched the doheny cam friday and it never burned off. Were there any signs of the grunions making an appearance there?
There was no fog when I was out, it was overcast though until about noon. Don't know how I would know if the grunion were there or not.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Cyn

Hmm, so how do you release a shark when you catch it from a kayak? Always wondered that in case it ever happens..
Cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Sully1

Gotta love the light tackle with smaller game, way to go!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
YakNutz

Thanks for the report, sounds like you got a nice variety. I need to get back out there soon.
YakNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
Hmm, so how do you release a shark when you catch it from a kayak? Always wondered that in case it ever happens..
I have Kevlar gloves and a few ARC Dehookers in several sizes one 34" for releasing toothy creatures, sharks & scooters.
Without those, I'd recommend a nice sharp knife to cut the line. I've witnessed some guys get their hand "shredded" attempting to retrieve just a hook!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Cyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
I have Kevlar gloves and a few ARC Dehookers in several sizes one 34" for releasing toothy creatures, sharks & scooters.
Without those, I'd recommend a nice sharp knife to cut the line. I've witnessed some guys get their hand "shredded" attempting to retrieve just a hook!
FFY
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to just cut the hook if you're releasing, but figured that is better than the alternative if you don't have proper equipment...Thanks for the reply.
Cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
carbonbass

you dont need kevlar gloves for leos... just grab it by the back of its head palming it near its eyes, lay it back (can calm them down) and put some pliers in its mouth, if the hook is in real good, clip the line off the hook and let it swim with a peircing until it rusts out.
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote