Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-04-2015, 12:09 AM   #1
Jerky86
Junior

Casting lures at La Jolla

Anyone having success throwing lures & irons at La Jolla? Should I just focus on making bait? Thanks
Jerky86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:33 AM   #2
taggermike

I havent spent as much time in LJ this year as others, but i have not seen many boiling fish. If youre fishing calicos in the kelp constant casting is the way to go but blind casting out in open water is not. Bait had been the call this year and its worth making it but always have a jig stick ready to go. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
Matt_Magnone
Junior

My favorite way of fishing local is throwing the plug, but it's pretty tough to put a cast on your mark in the sit down position. I've seen fish I know I could hit, but have a little harder time loading the rod the same as if I were on a boat. Fish have to be in fairly close range and you be in a position to plant a cast on their forehead. Luck plays a huge factor. I've done it, but if you weigh the odds between bait and iron, bait usually comes out on top. This is also coming from a guy that throws $450 lures days on end for double digit bass on the lakes. It's all about time.

The yo yo however is deadly as all hell.

Like Mike said, make bait, kill yourself a couple fish and then go to surface jail and dedicate your time for that major reward. All my fish this year have been blind.
(951) 658-7410
Matt_Magnone is offline   Reply With Quote