Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
Cbad Mike

Agua Hedionda Lagoon

While spending the better part of the last year concentrating on "The bigger the better", I totally forgot how much fun it is to fish with super light tackle in the lagoon here in Carlsbad.

I went out Monday hoping to get a few KayakWar points with some Bass and to work on my technique.

First off, I didn't score any points because everything I caught was short due to the new regulations but it was still a blast with plenty of fish to be caught.

Final numbers:
4 Halibut - 13", 17", 18" 20"
4 Sand Sharks - 21", 27", 27", 31" (I think that I caught the same one twice)
1 Bat Ray - small, about 5 pounds
11 Bass - 11.75", 12", 12", 12.5", 13", 13.25" 13.5", and the rest smaller.
O crowd

I love fishing the ocean but there is something nice about no surf and an easy paddle once in a while. Not to mention not having to drive up the 5 during rush hour after 10 hours on the water.

No trophy pictures or sleigh rides caught on the GoPro but a good time none the less.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

I have never fished there. lots of action, what were you using for bait?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 AM   #3
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I have never fished there. lots of action, what were you using for bait?
The lagoon isn't worth the trip but if you ever find yourself in the area with some time to kill it can be a good time. Summertime they crack down on having a permit, it's $13 and not really worth it.

The sharks and Bat Ray were caught soaking squid.
The Halibut and Bass were caught on a red and white buck tail jig. (an oldie and definitely over looked weapon by many in my opinion)
Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Lips
Junior

Bin fishing there all my life, spotties all day
Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
....because everything I caught was short due to the new regulations....
There are new regulations? Last time I checked I didn't see any, have they been posted on the DFG site yet?

BTW, I fish with light tackle all the time, it is a blast to hook op a decent bass, hali or leo on a light spinning outfit.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
taggermike

I used to fish there frequently when I lived in Cbad, fun place to fish. Especially when you can get away from the shore fishing areas. It's mostly spotties and small halibut but I have seen sculpin, bonito,and cuda come out of there as well. They are few and far between but if you fish live smelt Hedionda can put out some big halibut. Seriously. 37lbs caught behind the fish hatchery on my lunch break. Mike

taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
There are new regulations? Last time I checked I didn't see any, have they been posted on the DFG site yet?
I didnt see it on the dfg sight either but there was a press release saying that right now the min. size is 13" and 10 fish total for all bass. But come March 1st this year the size limit changes to 14" with a total bag limit of any combination of 5 bass total.

Here's the press release if you wanna read it yourself.

http://www.wonews.com/t-FeatureArtic...gs_111412.aspx
Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
j mo

tagger mike your kidding me! that hallibut is a beast. i need to take my 5 year old there. where is the hatchery? are you talking about aqua culture or the ymca camp?

thanks
JOsh
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

Cbad,

I pass that lagoon while delivering equipment to my Diego jobsites and always thought it looked very "tranquill" Never knew if was fishy or not.
Do you mind if I ask where you launch from? and whats the permit thing?
Is it mandatory? Do you know if you can fish both sides of the freeway.
TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post

BTW, I fish with light tackle all the time, it is a blast to hook op a decent bass, hali or leo on a light spinning outfit.
do you mind pming me some spots for light tackle leo fishing, that sounds like a blast! I have never really known how to "target" them it always seems to be a bycatch. I C&R anything that isnt a yellowtail white sea bass (still haven't found the legal) or hali so your spot wouldnt become pressured.
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

BTW

14 inch bass minimum is not yet in effect........March 1st.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
blitzburgh

Does anyone know if you can get offshore (inshore) from that lagoon?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
yaker81
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
Does anyone know if you can get offshore (inshore) from that lagoon?

No you can't.
yaker81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaker81 View Post
No you can't.
Oh well, thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
madncrzydm

Ive fished off the shore there before but never have taken my kayak out there and was not aware of a pass needed. I live pretty close to there any chance you would share where ya launch from? Also i love fishing light tackle during the summer i got a 8lb sheephead on a light rod and small spinner with 12 lb test lots of fun.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #16
Zfish03

Thanks for the report! I've been thinking about launching there
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
kaya_one

NICE FISH COUNT. Sounds like there wasn't a dull moment.
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
Cbad Mike

While the new size regulations for Bass go into effect March 1st, the new size for them is already 14" for Kayak Wars submittal which is what I was going after. Sorry for the confusion.
The permit is for use of the lagoon. You can buy a yearly permit which I did years ago when I lived on the water there. I don't know what it costs today though.
The daily permit last year was around $13. You would buy it where they rent the jet skis. With that permit you could launch and land all day at the little jet ski beach. They have picnic tables and a parking lot.
BY LAW YOU SHOULD HAVE A PERMIT!!!
I never use a permit and neither does most of the kayakers.
The place to launch is down a small street off of Park Drive. If you look at a map it's easy to find. It's on the North East end of the lagoon. There is a beach there. Just park on the street and walk passed the PERMIT REQUIRED sign down to the beach and go.
During the off season no one will bother you about a permit BUT during the summer there is usually a police boat on the water and they will stop you and ask questions.
While I've caught fish all throughout the lagoon most fishing is done near the 5 freeway overpass. During tide changes there is a strong current there.
You can fish on both sides of the overpass. That is to say that you can kayak fish in the back 2 lagoons. The front lagoon on 101 is definitely off limits to kayaks, tubes, and anything else except fishing from the shore line.
Just a heads up..... The DFW does patrol the front lagoon all the time so if you going to fish from the shore make sure you have your license with you.
I have personally launched from the back lagoon, went under 5, went under the train bridge, over the barricade in the water, across the front lagoon, and shot out between the jetties into the ocean during an out going tide. The ride back in on the incoming tide after fishing was FAST and fun.

Mike
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #19
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I used to fish there frequently when I lived in Cbad, fun place to fish. Especially when you can get away from the shore fishing areas. It's mostly spotties and small halibut but I have seen sculpin, bonito,and cuda come out of there as well. They are few and far between but if you fish live smelt Hedionda can put out some big halibut. Seriously. 37lbs caught behind the fish hatchery on my lunch break. Mike

I like this...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #20
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
While spending the better part of the last year concentrating on "The bigger the better", I totally forgot how much fun it is to fish with super light tackle in the lagoon here in Carlsbad.

I went out Monday hoping to get a few KayakWar points with some Bass and to work on my technique.

First off, I didn't score any points because everything I caught was short due to the new regulations but it was still a blast with plenty of fish to be caught.

Final numbers:
4 Halibut - 13", 17", 18" 20"
4 Sand Sharks - 21", 27", 27", 31" (I think that I caught the same one twice)
1 Bat Ray - small, about 5 pounds
11 Bass - 11.75", 12", 12", 12.5", 13", 13.25" 13.5", and the rest smaller.
O crowd

I love fishing the ocean but there is something nice about no surf and an easy paddle once in a while. Not to mention not having to drive up the 5 during rush hour after 10 hours on the water.

No trophy pictures or sleigh rides caught on the GoPro but a good time none the less.
This too. Lots of action.

I drive by lots, but have never stopped. Thanks for the info
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote