Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Bahia Asuncion year in review

Bahia Asuncion year in review:

I went out fishing this morning and that will be my last session of my first year in Bahia Asuncion. I thought it might be interesting to post up a review of my successes during this past year.

First of all I fished 193 days in the last year. Each session lasted from a bit before sunrise to between 12 and 1 pm. I pretty much concentrated on Yellowtail fishing and accepted plenty of bycatch.

I landed a total of 241 counters. I counted ever yellow that I estimated to be over 12 lbs.

My largest was a 47.8 lbs, caught in March.

My best month and as July with 56 counters.

My worst month was January with 1 followed closely with 2 in December. Surprisingly I probably caught more yellows in those 2 months than any 2 months. Just all rats.

I harvested 5 fish for myself and gave 23 to close by pangeros. The rest were released.

Noteworthy bycatch included 1 YFT, 3 broom tail grouper, one amberjack., numerous chunky sheepshead, and drag pulling whitefish and of course the ever present calico and sand bass.

Hooked and lost 4 wahoo. Two confirmed and two "my God I don't think anything but a wahoo could swim that fast!"

Lost in excess of 75 heavy irons and megabaits. About 3/4 were lost by being rocked by fish and the rest just being rocked.

Got tumbled in heavy surf once. Lost a tackle box with a few jigs, my glasses, and rendered my camera and vhf inoperable.

Not a bad year. I truly expected that I would have developed a bit of a cavalier attitude towards getting out there and trying again but I can honestly say that i was just as giddy about getting on the water this morning as I was on March 1st of last year. BTW, 4 yellows this morning but only one counter.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

I always appreciate you sharing your dream with us norte time clockers
Old 02-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Zed
BANNED

Farmer.
Thanks for keeping track. Thats a lot of iron.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Farmer.
Thanks for keeping track. Thats a lot of iron.
If it wasn't for Makobob and the rest of my amigo coming down here and resupplying me, I would have to come to the states more often than every 6 months to stock up. I am on my last blue and white Salas jig and it only gets thrown at suspended fish.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 02-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #5
Deamon

DANG IT...
...you are a living my dream RossAmigo
...Bahia Asuncion is an almost perfect set-up...except their women are all older or overweight, lol
...you mean all of my rusted jigs are gone?
...this dog has an eating disorder, lol (always starving)
...I will ask Bobby if we can do another Thanksgiving trip if you plan on being there

Jim
Attached Images

"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 02-22-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
DANG IT...
...Bahia Asuncion is an almost perfect set-up...except their women are all older or overweight, lol
...I will ask Bobby if we can do another Thanksgiving trip if you plan on being there

Jim
Has that dog grown since I last saw it when you hijacked it out of Bahia Asuncion?

I am certain that we are all going in Thanksgiving to BA and maybe Punta Quebrada and further north.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:19 AM   #7
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
DANG IT...

Jim
Thanks Jim,
you are welcome to come down any time you want. I'll be here.

Your soccer buddy Lou was down here again a couple weeks ago and spent a day on Miguel's panga and killed it on some nice YT and even got a few YFT. Sure is a long way to come for one day of fishing.
— Herman Melville

Old 02-23-2016, 05:50 AM   #8
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post

Has that dog grown since I last saw it when you hijacked it out of Bahia Asuncion?

Hijacked? HIJACKED??? Jeff-man, please allow me to remind you of the specific circumstances...LOL...

My puppy...
  • was dumped at the proverbial (and literal) end of the road (Ross' house)...along with another puppy...3 weeks before our arrival
  • was unwanted by Ross. Okay, okay, my baby was tormenting Rossman's meanie dog (a semi-cranky senior citizen with a crooked eye and bad breath)
  • was unwanted by Ross' meanie neighbor...who decided to keep THE OTHER PUPPY...say what?!
  • ...per the meanie, rich Canadian woman...who owns the La Bufadora Hotel...out on the point...with a 260 degree ocean view...who's married to the local top commercial fisherman...said she was going to round this puppy up SOON, along with all the other strays "like she regularly does"!...drop them off at the local dump...where they"survive for a few days...eating garbage...until the coyotes show up and rip them apart"...ummm...what did she just say?
I refuse to believe I was "played out like a cheap ukulele" by RossAmigo or the other local people into taking this puppy home...I think. But I'm glad I SAVED her...

Now who can help me with her eating disorder...hahahaha!!!!

Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 02-23-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:11 AM   #9
buddha

Quote:
Hijacked? HIJACKED??? Jeff-man, please allow me to remind you of the specific circumstances...LOL...

My puppy...
  • was dumped at the proverbial (and literal) end of the road (Ross' house)...along with another puppy...3 weeks before our arrival
  • was unwanted by Ross. Okay, okay, my baby was tormenting Rossman's meanie dog (a semi-cranky senior citizen with a crooked eye and bad breath)
  • was unwanted by Ross' meanie neighbor...who decided to keep THE OTHER PUPPY...say what?!
  • ...per the meanie, rich Canadian woman...who owns the La Bufadora Hotel...out on the point...with a 260 degree ocean view...who's married to the local top commercial fisherman...said she was going to round this puppy up SOON, along with all the other strays "like she regularly does"!...drop them off at the local dump...where they"survive for a few days...eating garbage...until the coyotes show up and rip them apart"...ummm...what did she just say?
I refuse to believe I was "played out like a cheap ukulele" by RossAmigo or the other local people into taking this puppy home...I think. But I'm glad I SAVED her...

Jim
Hahahahahahaha you like to come out punching don't you?

That dog looks twice the size of when I saw it.

What are you feedling that animal?

Last edited by buddha; 02-23-2016 at 06:10 PM.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #10
chris138
donkey roper

Awesome report. There needs to be a documentary about you dude! You're pretty much a hero to us mainlanders!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #11
Billy V

-I was surprised to see a 6X Heavy sell for $20 American in a local market.

We must have had $2000 worth of jigs with us, no kidding. Lots of Charkbait prototype Wounded Swimmers which worked well - once Vince remember to take the Plastic Cover off the Treble hook.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #12
Denis_Ruso

Rossman you are the bomb! You need to sign up for periscope and stream your outings live so we cubicle dwellers can live vicariously through you.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #13
Gr8fuldude

Rossman, thank you for chronicling your incredible adventure. If not for my wife and four year old, I would totally be there. You're a true inspiration to the rest of us. Some people dream and some people just go make it happen. Felicidades!!!!
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #14
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
WE WILL DO A THANKSGIVING TRIP this year again. Jim and Dawg can come with, Jeff too plus whoever signs up. THIS will be the FOURTH THANKSGIVING trip I think.. THERE WILL BE A PRICE to pay this year for this trip. EVERY one coming can bring 6 blue and whites to donate to the poor american gringo living the life in ASUNCION. This year we might do a side trip to Punta Eugenia then make two more stops on the way back to Rossman's place. All aboard. BTW I will bring the TURKEY again this year AND dog food for Niko as he got left out last year, as all attention went to Jim's mutt. What did you name her?

Quote:

My puppy...

Jim

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote