Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2016, 06:18 AM   #1
Fishin' Magician

I've been hit by a boat next to the bait barge in Newport, nearly run over by a speed boat in San Diego Bay,and just recently had the only boat in all of Newport Harbor that was out as early as I was come up right behind me, (there was literally NO ONE with hundreds of yards from where I was), and snag my line in his prop. In all cases, I was flying a large orange flag with an American flag below it. No way NOT to see it.

My buddy who was in a bright yellow Malibu Stealth 12 got literally run over by a sail boat and nearly swamped. The boats never stopped, even though a woman looked over the side and saw him. No effort was made to try and save him by the boater, they just kept sailing on as if nothing had happened. Fortunately he was able to paddle back to shore and pumped it all out. We didn't get the hull number but called it in to the Harbor Patrol. Don't know if anything came of it after that.

People just don't notice what they're doing when out on the water. Some of it might be blamed on the sun reflection on the water, but most times, it's just plain carelessness on the part of the boater.

Just be careful out there and don't assume that any boater can see you. I carry a whistle and an air horn. Even that may not be enough.....
Old 07-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #2
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Last year a boater deliberately hit me in order to move me off a spot that he wanted to fish. The salmon fishing around here makes La Jolla look like a boating lovefest. Imagine all the boats on a Sunday at La Jolla in about one square mile of water, that's what salmon fishing is like.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
kirkdavis

My yellow outback got hit by a car backing out of his spot. He walked right past me to get in his car, and I was on the drivers side. Obviously he had no clue what his mirrors are for. Also had a big boat come up behind me as I was coming into Mission Bay, and I shook my head as he approached, and apparently he saw my disgust so he shut down about 30 ft off my stern port quarter. Then he kicked it up full throttle as he turned to starboard to get around me. I ended up catching 2 wakes at the same time from different directions. Needless to say the air turned blue in the vicinity of mt yak.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote