Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-22-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
fishkiller951
Junior

Dana Point 12/22

My son and I wanted to try somewhere new, so decided to launch out of DP. Tried to read up as much as possible to be successful. Thank you to all you that have posted. Unload the Yaks and set up everything and no power to the FF. Quick inspection, and lets go, my sons is working. Son asks, where we going? Head south and look for lobster cages. Find some buoys and start dropping strips of squid in about 40' feet, 2nd drop, my son lands 15" sheepshead. Nice. Stoked for him. 3 more shorts, a sculpin and numerous mackerel later between us, we try deeper for not much luck. We decide to try jetty and inside harbor. Not a touch there. Weather was absolutely beautiful. Only saw 1 other kayaker out there. Could have got skunked and it was a great day on the water with great weather and fishing with my son.
Attached Images

fishkiller951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
surfshotmoto

Fantastic. I love fishing with my boy as well. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
surfshotmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
dc1983

I think I was the one who past you by the ramp towing my son with his kayak. It was a good day to be out for sure.
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #4
fishkiller951
Junior

Yeap. My son joked, how come he is towing his son in. Congrats to your son on the halibut.
fishkiller951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #5
Southwest Kayak Fishing

Your son must have been pretty ecstatic to pull in such a nice Sheephead! Has he asked you when are you going again yet?!

I’m not sure if you know but I fish DP just about every weekend and know the area fairly well. Just out of the harbor there are several white cans and close to them are smaller reefs and rocks. I actually pulled a limit of Sheep off one of those areas.

When you head south you would need to search for scattered rock piles and reefs and drop down on them and see what’s home. Usually bass, perch and Sheep. Same for just outside the harbor along the long jetty.

If you want to have a good chance at pulling a limit of Sheep you need to head north past the point and move from kelp patch to kelp patch until you find that magic one. You could be fishing as shallow as twenty feet to as deep as fifty.
Also poke around the lobster pots. Freshly baited pots not only attract lobster but they attract many other fish as well.
Southwest Kayak Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote