Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
Yakkid
"Broke like a joke"

have a few electrical ?s

Okay i have my 5 gal bucket bait tank on a switch to my 12 volt battery. Also have an inline fuse 15 amp in between and want to know how to put make the inline fise some what water proof second ? Is how to put a fish finder on the 12 v as well. Any suggestions and pixs would be awesome
Yakkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
old_rookie

The fuse rating seems high to me. You want one to open the circuit in the event something goes wrong and starts drawing too much current. Get the current draw/consumption of your devices and add 1 or 2 amps to that for the fuse rating. If your pump starts doing something funny and starts drawing 10amps - your battery is going to get very hot very fast. I don't have an electronics degree, but this is what I would do if I had a set up with multiple devices.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Lipripper92592

Waterproof fuse holder from any auto store. Grease and shrink wrap the connections. Solder if you have it, crimp if not.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
RedondoSteve

Hey Yakkid,
1) I use stuff called Liquid Tape which is a black goop that replaces electrical insulation. It also waterproofs. $8.00 at hardware store in Electrical dept.
2) You can run a second set of leads from main battery to F.F. also. Check your amp draw from both bait tank pump and F.F and make sure your battery is rated properly ie. (amp hours). I recently added a bait tank, FF and trolling motor to my Pro Angler . Good luck

Steve
RedondoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:41 PM   #5
Baja_Traveler

THIS is what you are looking for...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
tacmik

Get a 6 volt battery for your bait tank. battery will last a lot longer and your bait won't get stressed and die trying to swim against the greater flow that you will have with a 12 volt. Use the 12 volt to power your fishfinder if you have one or planning to get one.