Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
Montesdad
Grey Haired Senior Member

Caveat Vendor

Let the seller beware -

I have a Hobie PA 12 for sale over in the classifieds along with all the accessories for a good price - it's also on Craigslist.
Was contacted by a buyer who was going to be in my area about mid day and wanted to buy the yak.
He emailed not long before he was supposed to be here and said he was being delayed.

It seems as if his bank, Chase, was not accepting cash deposits so he could deposit his cash, get a money order to buy the yak.
He would be here just before 5:00 to see it and if all was well, buy it.

I told him not to bother as he was to be here mid day and I wasn't going to wait around for him.
In addition, I'm a retired federal bank regular with the FDIC and Chase was one of my accounts.
Let him know that all retail banking operations take cash deposits and I wasn't interested in his money order,
cashiers check or whatever he was looking to hand to me after banking hours.

Just to let you know that they are out there, especially if you're selling something of good value.

Tight lines -
Old 06-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
MrPatrick

Now the Nigerian Prince can't kayak fish.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:04 AM   #3
StinkyMatt

Wait.....

Im gonna put good ol greenbacks into a bank so I can get a check for you? My bank does not accept cash?

You should have let him come over and hit him in the head with a gaff!

What a scumbag.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #4
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

Sadly these types of scams are all to common, and about 10 years ago my roomate sold his couch on Craigslist, and long story short he got scammed with a legit cashiers check, he even called the bank and verified, still when he cashed it the funds had been withdrawn and it wasnt until two weeks later that the check was returned and he was left holding the bag for about $2500.00 He had not recourse , and the FBI did contact him about a organized crime ring passing off bad checks all over the area. Moral of the story... CASH ONLY!!! and deal with the person face to face, if it seems shady, don't do it !!

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote