Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
ccacher1

Solana Beach kelp 5/26

Headed out Sunday morning around 6am to dog beach near the estuary coming from the horse track in Del Mar. Decided that on little sleep I wasn't up for driving to LJ or Mission. Was pretty excited though because I just picked up my new Malibu Stealth 9 from OEX on Saturday. Anyways, wheeled my kayak down and saw one other guy launching from the estuary as well. The swell was bigger than expected but obviously wasn't turning around and going home. While I was walking the kayak out I mistimed the set and had a wave flip the kayak and drag me a good 30 feet, but hey I found out that everything in the dry compartments stayed dry and I didn't lose anything. Made it out past the waves and started trolling a 4" trap rigged swimbait. Hooked a 6" lizard fish on the trap hook which I found amusing. I hoped it was a sign for a halibut in my future. Paddled the rest of the way out the kelp and dropped the lizard to the bottom and started drifting while throwing a swimbait. Nothing happening accept one short calico as I was bringing the swimbait up next to a stringer. Decided to call it around 10 due to lack of sleep. All in all I only got that one small calico but but it was a successful day because I decided I was pleased with my kayak purchase. Caught a big wave in and landed on the beach nicely.

First time going to OEX and I must say, they are awesome. They really gave me some good tips and installed a rod holder for me in no time at all. I look forward to hitting up La Jolla and Mission bay...probably in a week or so.
ccacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Cbad Mike

Everything in your kayak stayed dry??? Are you sure you have a Malibu???
Thanks for the post.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
Deamon

I KNOW that's not your living room...you must be single...either that or you have a hip garage with carpet...
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
RobFish
Massive Member

Success! Your first trip and you didn't get skunked.
Welcome again to the addiction.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
ccacher1

Haha Cbad Mike, I think it's a Malibu... Maybe there were a couple drops in the dry compartments but I had everything in boxes inside those compartments. I have heard people complain about compartment leaks though in the past.

Deamon, thats uhhh my garage... haha, no but this is why I had to buy a small kayak. Actually going to work on building a storage box on the patio in the next couple weeks.

Thanks RobFish.
ccacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
JarrodMc

Welcome to the looney bin. They still haven't let us out. And we don't wanna leave! I thought SB was closed due to the MLPA