Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2022, 01:36 PM   #1
Salty

DP Report: 1/9

Know there haven't been a lot of reports lately, so here's a quick one from yesterday. Launched Baby Beach at 5:30 AM. Air temp- 38. Water temp- 55-57. Gusty morning offshores made it extra chilly before the sun came up. Bait was a mix of healthy sardines/anchovies. Fished South of the harbor in the morning, making my way NW to the outer sewer pipe and making a few drifts with heavier lead along the deeper canyon at 100-120'. Fishing wasn't great. Just a few Calico with one that was decent size- 17.5". Tube baits had a lot of bites around the kelp, but nothing stuck. Deeper water held a lot of sandies last weekend, but nothing this time. Wind picked up at around noon and the battery on my livewell died, so I called it a day. Still a nice day on the water. The sunrise alone made up for the lack of fish at least.
Attached Images

Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:15 PM   #2
Southwest Kayak Fishing

Hey thanks for the update! It seems like it’s going to be pretty slow until we start to warm up a bit, but at least you managed a few👍

I bet it was pretty cold until the sun came out!😲
The wind usually picks up there around 10:30 making it a pain to get back in from the pipe.

Anthony (OC Outdoorsman) and I hit Doheny beach up on Saturday targeting Halibut. It was a slow day for me but Anthony did pretty well. They were all on the small side with Anthony picking up the biggest at 21”

Hopefully I can get back into the groove and get out there more regularly. Your welcome to join me. Shoot me a message sometime.
Southwest Kayak Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:35 PM   #3
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Kayak Fishing View Post
Hey thanks for the update! It seems like it’s going to be pretty slow until we start to warm up a bit, but at least you managed a few👍

I bet it was pretty cold until the sun came out!😲
The wind usually picks up there around 10:30 making it a pain to get back in from the pipe.

Anthony (OC Outdoorsman) and I hit Doheny beach up on Saturday targeting Halibut. It was a slow day for me but Anthony did pretty well. They were all on the small side with Anthony picking up the biggest at 21”

Hopefully I can get back into the groove and get out there more regularly. Your welcome to join me. Shoot me a message sometime.
You got that right! It was FREEZING until the sun came out! Wet hands from the livewell plus cold offshore gusts made my hot coffee all the more valuable lol

And thanks for the invite! been hitting it solo a lot recently so I might just hit you up on that! I plan to give it another shot next weekend, always nice to have a group to fish with. And if you're planning on making more videos, happy to get some 3rd-person gopro footage for you too!
Old 01-10-2022, 09:19 PM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

55-degree water and 38 degrees air are notable perspectives.

The one calm Floridian day this week was yesterday. Water and air temps in 70's. Beach launched at 445am in calm but bumpy conditions. At 515 an unforeseen squall kicked up and all one could do was stay pointed into it and hang on until it passed. 20 minutes later, I was able to head back to the beach -- traversing multiple breaking waves -- was thankful to make it back without flipping in the dark.

Nice that you made it out on the water and caught some fish. Good looking photos -- Thanks.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:29 AM   #5
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
55-degree water and 38 degrees air are notable perspectives.

The one calm Floridian day this week was yesterday. Water and air temps in 70's. Beach launched at 445am in calm but bumpy conditions. At 515 an unforeseen squall kicked up and all one could do was stay pointed into it and hang on until it passed. 20 minutes later, I was able to head back to the beach -- traversing multiple breaking waves -- was thankful to make it back without flipping in the dark.

Nice that you made it out on the water and caught some fish. Good looking photos -- Thanks.
Damn dude, sounds like an ordeal! Been caught in some sketchy storms offshore here in CA before, but that was in an older center console, not a kayak... And that was bad enough! Glad you made it back to shore safely.