Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #1
kirkdavis

Lightbulb Quest for solution to lost poles

I am one year new to kayak fishing in SD and less than that to BWE. I am reading a lot of sad tales of lost poles and tangled up in tethers. I have a few ideas of how to solve the problems, but I need some input (I haven't dumped my yak yet). If my plan works we can be tetherless and care free. Please give me data on the circumstances behind your lost pole.
How deep was the water?
Where was the rod (rod rack, hands, built-in rod holder, etc) when it took the plunge?
Any other circumstances you think might be important.
Depending on the data I get, I might add more questions later.
Thanks for your input.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
Raskal311

i rarely tether now, too much work. I accept the risk and reduce it by launching and landing with the reels removed from rod and in inside the yak. Rods are in the horizontal rod holders. (yah Pro Angler)

But I believe the most often case is flipping during launch and land in shallow water.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
kirkdavis

I think that you are correct on both counts. Tethers are a royal pain, and most sinkers happen on the launch or return in the surf. The goal for my idea is to be cheap, easy, reliable and not cumbersome like a leash.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
Deamon

I dumped a rod in 70' of water. Rigged up some weights, squid rig and a jig. Got it back surprisingly easily by hitting the man overboard button on my ff and cross dragging the spot. A pic of my rig on the link below.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=25850

Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:00 AM   #5
kirkdavis

Good story! One question that might help...Where was your rod just before it took the dive? In a holder, in your lap, in your hand?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #6
taggermike

Straps and leashes are the way to go. But they are a pain in the ass. I got cocky n careless landing on a tiny day. Didn't have any thing secured and lost a rod. Some times I'll leash every thing during launch and landing but leave stuff free while out fishing. When waves are big I'll put every thing under the front hatch.

The most stream lined leash set up I've found is having the clip on the rod and a short leash on the holder. The rod us secure in the holder but leash free and easy to move around when out. Also a leash is short enough it will keep your rods in the holders rather than letting fall loose in a big tangled mess. My yak is long and tippy and a long reach back to the rods so I can't use this style

Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #7
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Straps and leashes are the way to go. But they are a pain in the ass. I got cocky n careless landing on a tiny day. Didn't have any thing secured and lost a rod. Some times I'll leash every thing during launch and landing but leave stuff free while out fishing. When waves are big I'll put every thing under the front hatch.

The most stream lined leash set up I've found is having the clip on the rod and a short leash on the holder. The rod us secure in the holder but leash free and easy to move around when out. Also a leash is short enough it will keep your rods in the holders rather than letting fall loose in a big tangled mess. My yak is long and tippy and a long reach back to the rods so I can't use this style

Mike

Amen to this. Fishing with tethered rods would be too much hassle, but clipping them to the boat before launching and landing hardly bothers. My kayak is particularly tippy and inadequate, so I often come pretty close to dumping it even in 1' ankle slapping waves. Short lengths of paracord with cheap brass clips on the end work like a charm.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #8
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Don't buy expensive gear, buy just what you need to get the job done. It's been proven over and over again that you don't need top of the line rods and reels to catch fish. Stow gear during surf launches or risk losing your gear. If that doesn't work, tie the gear to the boat.

Tags
lost pole, tether