Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-03-2019, 06:50 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Strange Bait Fish

My fishing buddy Mark and I visited La Jolla today. It was an amazingly beautiful day on the water. 70 to 72 degrees for both the air and water. Glassy for most of the day until a little wind chop picked up after noon. The fishing unfortunately was not so good. Except for bait, we did not catch a thing.

Speaking of bait, I found a spot where the baitfish were very plentiful but different from anything I have ever seen before. They ranged in size from about 4 inches to a couple whoppers that were more than a foot long. They looked a lot like Spanish Macks but did not have the dorsal fin spikes.

These fish had very soft mouths and regularly came off the sabiki hook before making it to my bait tank. They were mostly silver with some golden bands. Overall they looked like a greenback in shape but had the Spanish big eyes and soft mouth.

Apparently they are not very attractive to the La Jolla game fish as I only had a couple short bites.

I know that my description is probably lacking but I would be interested in knowing what kind of fish this is. Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:34 AM   #2
BenCantrell

Could this be it?

https://www.mexican-fish.com/amberstripe-scad/

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Deca...-muroadsi.html
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
FISH11

I think you got it, that's the way I remember them. They would hit the sabiki, but often fall of the hook before getting on board. Ended up with plenty bait and most released, after a bait tank ride. The Yellows just weren't at La Jolla to play. About the strangest things, no sea lions. They did look like the Amberstripe Scad.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

They could have been Amber Shad. The shape is about right but I do not remember them having much in the way of blue/green color on their backs. Also, the maximum size is reported to be 13 inches. I had two that were at least that size, maybe even a little larger.

Faint golden bands ran along their sides at a downward angle from nose to tail otherwise the prominent color was silver/white. The pectoral fins were quite large as well.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Pacific herring?
Old 10-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #6
FISH11

As far as I can remember, I think the Amberstripe Scad looks like the ones I caught on that trip. I didn't even think they were other than Spanish until Bob mentioned them not having the spikes, that get you often when handling them. I even looked carefully and remember the same moss color on the top and golden sides but a different dorsal fin shape from Spanish. Should be real good bait, since down Mexico they get used for attracting a lot off different trophy fish.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

After looking at Mark's photo, I agree. Amberstripe Shad it is.

Has anyone else run across this bait before in LJ? Maybe the late warm water has brought them up from the south. Could dorado or even wahoo will be next?

That would be fun.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:41 AM   #8
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

I caught some earlier this year. To me, they looked like juvenile yellowtail.
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote