Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #21
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico View Post
That's easily achieved without a rudder system. right foot left foot.
lol

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #22
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Peddle Power for Launch and Landing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post

On the plus side I launch at LJ without ever removing my paddle. The Mirage Drive lets me peddle straight from shore and blast through big waves at times.
-I really tested the hell out of it this week with a BIG Wave over my head.

It was a holy shit moment.lol
Like most Hobie owners I am more than pleased with my choice. The peddle system effortlessly gobbles up the miles and even after a full day of trolling, I am not tired. With a paddle boat, I suspect that it takes a long time to get into the kind of shape needed to spend a day on the water.

That said, Billy's comment about using the peddles for launching, (and I assume landing), interests me. I have always used the paddles and as a result, launching and landing is usually the lowpoint of the trip.

Last week my stock Hobie paddle broke while paddling in at the shores. Ron from Fastlane replaced it under warranty but gave me a puzzled look when I told him the I did not use the mirage drive while launching and landing. I think he thought I was nuts.

I thought that using the peddles in shallow water was a big NO-NO that could seriously damage the drive so I have never done it. Am I the only one who did not get the memo that this is OK?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #23
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Like most Hobie owners I am more than pleased with my choice. The peddle system effortlessly gobbles up the miles and even after a full day of trolling, I am not tired. With a paddle boat, I suspect that it takes a long time to get into the kind of shape needed to spend a day on the water.

That said, Billy's comment about using the peddles for launching, (and I assume landing), interests me. I have always used the paddles and as a result, launching and landing is usually the lowpoint of the trip.

Last week my stock Hobie paddle broke while paddling in at the shores. Ron from Fastlane replaced it under warranty but gave me a puzzled look when I told him the I did not use the mirage drive while launching and landing. I think he thought I was nuts.

I thought that using the peddles in shallow water was a big NO-NO that could seriously damage the drive so I have never done it. Am I the only one who did not get the memo that this is OK?

Bob
No No No... bad peddler! You may do it a few times and get lucky but why chance it?

I have seen more than one drive system trashed from landing or launching with them. There is a whole lot of torque on those fins, and when they strike the bottom, nothing good will happen, unless you uncover some hidden treasure of course.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #24
Mr GreenJeans

Launch/Land

I guess I'm in the minority here. I've been using the hobie drive to launch and land for the last two years without incident (except for the one time the drive failed when the mast came loose, but that is another post). I always launch in water that is thigh deep, and dismount in the same. If I'm not sure, I tuck the fins up against the bottom and take short pedal strokes.
Mr GreenJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #25
erinoo

Same as you GreenJeans....Never a problem here, but it's ok to be over cautious if your unsure of your abilities.
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #26
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GreenJeans View Post
I guess I'm in the minority here. I've been using the hobie drive to launch and land for the last two years without incident (except for the one time the drive failed when the mast came loose, but that is another post). I always launch in water that is thigh deep, and dismount in the same. If I'm not sure, I tuck the fins up against the bottom and take short pedal strokes.
We must have a similar launching technique.

As I walk the boat out into thigh high water I drop the rudder. When I'm sure its deep enough I unhook the mirage bungee cord and wait for the right wave.

-Then hop in and get "On the Peddles".
note--
I don't bother to slip my feet inside, I just place my feet on the peddles which ever way they are positioned and go straight through anything that comes at me.
This works in large or small surf.

Place your yak on a table and take a measurement of the full extension of the drive fins and transfer that measurement up against your body.
Once you are in the water that deep your Good to GO.
-Short stroke if there is any doubt.

------------------------
When landing.....

I always keep the Mirage Drive mounted in the boat, but I Use the Bungee to hold the Fins up against the Hull
-I use the paddle to return through the surf and hop out when I see 2 ft of water and drag it up on shore.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #27
pchen911

Aquachico:

Quote:
That's easily achieved without a rudder system. right foot left foot.
I don't quite understand this but am interested in what you mean.

Do you mean drag the left foot or right foot in water while fighting the fish? Or do you mean using your foot to press on certain parts of the kayak to control the orientation?

I'd like to figure this out if it is going to be helpful.... unless you were just kidding. I've never consciously thought about keeping the fish to one side or the other before but it seems like it could be helpful.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #28
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchen911 View Post
Aquachico:
I don't quite understand this but am interested in what you mean.
Do you mean drag the left foot or right foot in water while fighting the fish? Or do you mean using your foot to press on certain parts of the kayak to control the orientation?
I'd like to figure this out if it is going to be helpful.... unless you were just kidding. I've never consciously thought about keeping the fish to one side or the other before but it seems like it could be helpful.
No I was not kidding. D50 mentions that an advantage of a rudder system is being able to keep a fish on one side of the yak while fighting the fish.

That is probably true - but not necessary.

While the yak is moving I can turn the yak by lowering my foot (13EEE) on either side. I like to keep my fish on the port side of the yak so I drop my right leg out turning it starboard. I can come to a full stop with both legs.

I use this technic while surf landing also - landing is not my strong point so every little bit helps.

BTW: kick ass stories on Jim's board - your father is a lucky dude. Good fish karma coming your way.

Art
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #29
bearlythere

STORAGE

Love mine..but have to agree with Dorado 50 on the fish storage problem...getting to the main hatch is lil tricky and if theres already a fish in there good luck...I have had my peddels pinned by a big fish head at peddels tail over face with fish in la jolla and have had to just paddle back....glad I had the adventure....its ok though whens its the happy paddle
bearlythere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #30
THE DARKHORSE

Good lookin out Art.....

In reference to Pchen911 posts on LJKF, and the multiple successful outings with your father. Honestly, I had a tear in my eye reading them (I'm sure I wasn't alone), and to say I'm envious is a serious understatement, so thanks for sharing!
Old 08-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #31
pchen911

Quote:
No I was not kidding. D50 mentions that an advantage of a rudder system is being able to keep a fish on one side of the yak while fighting the fish.

That is probably true - but not necessary.

While the yak is moving I can turn the yak by lowering my foot (13EEE) on either side. I like to keep my fish on the port side of the yak so I drop my right leg out turning it starboard. I can come to a full stop with both legs.

I use this technic while surf landing also - landing is not my strong point so every little bit helps.

BTW: kick ass stories on Jim's board - your father is a lucky dude. Good fish karma coming your way.

Art
Thanks Art,

Will give that a try next time. I figure it would probably be easier to do on a shorter boat though... I can see it on my old shorter boats like the cobras, but on the P15 I am using now, its pretty hard to swing that thing around.

Luckily, left side or right side, I have no real preference.... but certainly can help when fighting fish with a second line in the water.

Thanks also Josh, but actually your stories are really inspiring to me.... On many levels. First to let me know what the possibilities are and how much further there is to go and learn. Then again with your willingness to share your reports when it seems people aren't reporting much nowadays (compared to years past). Your generousity is very much appreciated.

I'll admit though.... I am still quite a ways from the level of C&R those yellowtail beauties on your other post. When people fish, its feast or famine.... When I fish, its famine or starvation.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote