Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-04-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
madscientist

LJ 3/4 Smelt attack

Got to the launch early around 5:00am to find Arne already out. Surf looked small as I unloaded so I didn't worry. Ready to launch and some little bangers were crashing. Almost went back to the car for the drytop but decided to take my chances. Found a lull and started cranking when some joker (well, Pat) pulls onto the beach and shines his high beams on. Smelt jump everywhere, and one big one smacks me right in the face. Paddle like crazy to clear the surf and find the smelt is still onboard. Cool, making bait without even trying. That was pretty much the highlight of the day. Good talking with the various crew but nothing except for a couple turds. Even golden boy wasn't golden. Landed around 1:00pm when the wind started getting serious, along with a soggy Dave E. May get up super early tomorrow to hunt the rumored squid.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
lamb

That’s the best “how I made bait today” episode I ever read.

I, for one, was convinced you guys will load up today…

I guess it’s happening tomorrow. :lol:
Old 03-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
Lit-up1

Yard sale-

Well I pressed my luck a little to far inside-Took a set in the head outside of childrens pool area and flipped my dumass into the water ops: ops: . If Brad hadn't seen me coming in all wet I wouldn't have told anybody.
I made it back into the boat in one piece, but everything not tied down went swimming- :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Don't try calling me on the radio for a while.
More dignity lost than anything else-I'm not sure if my camera will make it. Nice to know I can still swim.
I was in close trying out some stuff for Dana Pt. and did get a good Calico
but then Lit-up1 was swimming with the fishes.

Chris, are you diving tomorrow :?: I know a spot where some cool shit is on the bottom :roll:
Dave
Lit-up1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
Aaron&Julie

Dave

Sorry to hear about the :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: experience. Nobody wants that to happen.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #5
aguachico

Shit Dave. What did your FF read before it went vertical? 10ft? 3ft?

At last you were able to get out of the breakers in one piece! If you would have went ashore at the Seal Toilet, al the PETA fucks would have beaten you senseless for disturbing the seals!!!
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Dave, sorry about your loss.

I've had some big swell-low-tide-sleeping-reef-breakers appear out of no where and scare the shizzle out of me as I paddle like a MOFO and escape over the top getting major air and heart palpitations on the back side!! :shock: :shock:

Kind of like a mini Colonet.

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:19 PM   #7
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Re: Yard sale-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit-up1

Chris, are you diving tomorrow :?: I know a spot where some cool shit is on the bottom :roll:
Dave
Damn Dave!! That sucks... :x I decided to fish instead of dive tomorrow, I have a fishy feeling about 48 hours after a rain. Sorry about your loss, once I make it past the surf, I admit, nothing remains tethered on my kayak either.

Hope to see some other guys fishing LJ tomorrow, Fred Hall Long Beach was pretty cool, saw some familiar faces, too many to name, good seeing everyone. Lots of good deals, no sightings of Dan Hernandez though... :P

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:29 PM   #8
slotmachine

I think Im going fishing/diveing tomorrowand be able to look for your stuf. 858 4596848.
slotmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #9
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
If you would have went ashore at the Seal Toilet
That is the perfect name for the place, a shame it's as funny as hell too...

Quote:
no sightings of Dan Hernandez though...
That is a good thing.

C'mon you guys, bring the life back to LJ!
I won't be able to head back out there til a couple weeks, figure by then you will have pulled some figures out of there, and I could cash in on the replenishments... :roll:

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #10
PlasticSkipper

MS, your smelt story reminded me of that flying fish video from Brazil. I've thought about bringing my chargeable spotlight to shine down in the water to attract bait to my sabiki, but why bother with the sabiki?

Sorry to hear about your crash Dave, hope one of the divers can help you. Stop by for a beer at DP, I'll be in spot 15.

I spent 7 hours for nada Saturday. Tried spectra (for the first time) with a knife jig and dancing stinger hooks after seeing DMR's YT this week. The spectra was cool, I could feel the turd rollers or something chewing on some dead squid that I pinned on one of the stinger hooks, I could feel it through the kayak with the rod in a flushmount. They cleaned me out of dead squid on the knife jig and on a salas 6x on a mono rig. I could barely feel them nibbling with the mono.

Is the jackpot rolling over to another day?
PlasticSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:12 PM   #11
madscientist

I was thinking of that video when it happened because that was pretty much what it was like for the second or two after Pat flashed his lights. I think Ken has caught some smelt with his lights while hooping via the same method, though I don't think he's taken one to the face yet.

Dave looke pretty pissed when we landed. That sucks, never cool to lose gear, let alone dignity. Took all of my restraint not to make some bass fishing comment though. :lol: :P

Be careful next weekend at Dana.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote