Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 06:05 AM   #1
PlasticSkipper

LJ Weekend Report

Family fished both days, caught one small bass. On Saturday we didn't catch any bait near the kelp so we used lures trying to work the bass. My 9yr old caught the small one but nothing else was biting after a couple of hours, finally he decides he wants to go home so we reel in and go. We saw dolphins, psyco-pup and his grandpa, and all the views of the coast. My wife came back saying "oh my gosh it is just incredible out there, can we go again tomorrow?".

I upgraded to a prowler 15 and now have the Malibu Two for family and friends. It served me well both solo and tandem.

On Sunday I found a good used Hobie Sport peddle kayak for the kid and bought it. We took it out for a trial run and he just kicked ass. He peddled almost to the NW corner and then all the way back against an offshore breeze. He was doing circles around us, literally. I had a tow rope to pull him back in if he had problems but it could have been the other way around. Caught about eight mackerel very quickly and then fly lined one and put a couple on the bottom. We ran out of time as the sun started to set, another exceptional day on the water, even without fishing success.

Incredibly stable and completely dry inside for a 70lb kid.

I had to really paddle to keep up with him, I saw this a lot.

Some folks in a white cobra tandem. They landed in the dark about the same time as us.
PlasticSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:48 AM   #2
Dennis

Dave,
Nice report. Wow, you got the whole family into it... Can't wait until my little one gets a little older..
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:15 AM   #3
madscientist

I saw your kid motoring out as I was coming in Sunday. He looked ready for action.

Sat night I did the hooping thing for a half dozen. Sunday I launched early and went north for bait, finding plenty of macs in the usual spots. Caught a mini halibut (about 17") on the diamond jig in my bait stick. Headed over to the point and caught sand bass, mini rocks, and a half dozen decent sized whitefish. No other action. Launch remains a lake.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
PlasticSkipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohloe1
Dave,
Nice report. Wow, you got the whole family into it... Can't wait until my little one gets a little older..
You're gonna love it Dennis. My 14yr old likes to surf with me and my 9yr old likes to kayak fish. There is going to be family conflict when we have long period swells and a strong fish bite at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
I saw your kid motoring out as I was coming in Sunday. He looked ready for action.
I'm still surprised how fast he was able to motor around. Did you have any trouble with the lifeguards at the launch? They were warning people to get vehicles off the sand when we were launching.
PlasticSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
madscientist

Yeah, my wife was waiting to pick me up and the lifeguards kicked her out. It was unseasonably crowded there for a moment. There is one asshole lifeguard that seems to get a wild hair up his ass now and then (just ask Mr Easton), but for the most part he can be ignored.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:30 PM   #6
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Truly epic conditions out there this weekend! 8)

Great report and photographs Dave!

I fished up north for nothing that really matters.

I did catch a good workout by paddling back to the launch from the flat rock off torrey pines (4.1 miles on the GPS) in just under one hour, 3200+ paddle strokes. :shock:

It seems that the lifeguards are making the beach safe for :?: one kayak at a time.

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote