Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Islander Mothership SCI 3-31-07

Went to San Clemente Island this weekend on the Islander... If you havent been on the Islander, sign up today! OEX has several trips, and they will fill up fast!
The Islander crew is first rate, and makes you feel welcomed from the second you get on the boat. Good eats: breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

Had a nice sunrise, fished the weather side, nice conditions... First three casts got bit on Calicos... Decided to head outside with PAL to look for some of
the right kind... found big piles of dines, something pushing them up, but couldn't get them to go...

Thanks to Tommy of Unigoop to hook up all the anglers with unibutter for the trip.... Helped with my Plasticman points!

Pretty much WFO calicos, if you like to Calico fish this place is loaded!!! Here are few pics...

Those weren't even the biggest, Dave Easton said he released one about 6lbs, below a nice 4lber... At one point it was a fish a cast...

The crew will bring you beer, bait, water, food on their zodiac, door to door service!

Plenty of nice coastline... with kelp, water blue, endless visibility...

We had a spot of Yellows come up right next to the boat around lunch, of course I was too far away, but one the guys got one on an Iron.

This place is ready to go wide open.. One guy went on a slay ride early, he sawed through kelp, but it came unbutton.

Outdoorscribe writer Paul Lebowitz clean cut!

Thanks to Won magazine, Shimano crew, and the crew of Islander for a fun trip!

Chris

TEST Adi:

Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
reel fishy

Looks like a fun trip Chris. Thanks for the report. Love the zodiac beer delivery service!! That's awesome! Will they bring you a double cheeboyga to? Will definitely have to hook up for an Islander mothership trip.

Too bad the yellows didn't want to play much. San Clemente has some bigguns for sure. Some nice calicos you got there though.

reel fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Mr_PeaCH

Very timely, Chris. I'm signed up for the Islander Mothership leaving 4/27. Hope we end up at SCI. Thanks for the write-up.
Mr_PeaCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Lit-up1

Yes they will bring a cheesburger- they did for me- no need to get on the boat-if you don't want to--No BS 12 straight hours on the water for me- I don't know if my arms are tired from the paddle or from the bass--
Get on one of those trips guys-what a spot-when the water warms up the California slam is a real possibility there.

Dave
Old 04-01-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Nice write up Chris. I can hardly wait. I got one confirmed and two probable trips on the Islander lined up.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
madscientist

I talked to Brent today and he said we need a few more to sail this weekend. I think Chris "Razorback" and I are confirmed pro staff, but you never know who else might show. With LJ stuck in a current-less rut, now would be a great time for an SCI run. The calico fishing is always crazy out there and I get a big kick out of the shephead and toad whitefish. I usually spend the first hour meat fishing in the kelp, and it never ceases to amaze me how stocked that place is.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
scwafish

Looks super fun. Paul said that the crew and boat was dialed. Gotta come down and try it one of these days.
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #8
lamb

Looks like fun trip Chris, nice write up. A big yello' or white would have made it imaculate. At that place, that is always a possibility.

I will definitely be on one of these trips... If you guys will take me.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:32 AM   #9
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Yeah, this place is nice... The JP was a 9 lb Sheepshead... I agree with Dave, this might be one spot that the one day slam can be achieved...

Off Topic: BWE Mod is there a picture limit to posts? I used the [img] [/img] tags for the first pic, when I go to post, it just looks like a URL...?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:09 AM   #10
madscientist

DId you try for the sheeps Chris? I love those things. Did the boat have squid? I've still got a freezer full of humbolt if not. Hope we can get enough people to go. Long range forecast looks pretty good for next weekend.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #11
BWE Moderator
Law and Order Please

Quote:
Off Topic: BWE Mod is there a picture limit to posts? I used the [img] [/img] tags for the first pic
Chris I looked and there is no reason for your first photo not showing, so your conclusion of a limit would seem correct. I am sure Adi will fix this
BWE Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 AM   #12
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
DId you try for the sheeps Chris? I love those things. Did the boat have squid? I've still got a freezer full of humbolt if not.
I really didn't try for the sheeps, I went outside looking for the right kind... as stated, huge bait balls of sardines... The boat had live sardines, that was all the bait barge had... Dines were being chomped by something out there. I also was able to make some nice greenies...

Squid strips would be a good idea for sheephead, rockfish etc...

I was hoping to get a variety of plasticman points, so I didn't use any squid... besides, my swimbait was nailed by calicos each drop!

Adi, I thought you fixed the picture limit!!!

Chris
Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #13
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Hmm, not sure what up with that 1 pic not showing?

It's not the limit on mumbler of pics - see the FT thumbs I added on the bottom.

I just edited your post an added the exact same URL with the [IMG] tags - the pic is now there?!?

I think it may have something to do with the space you seem to have out in your folder name on PhotoBucket - "Islander 03-31-07"... Since you can't have empty spaces in the URL, it gets replaced with the %2... MAybe that freakes it out... somehow? I dunno...

So don't use the space in your URLs...
lambadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #14
steveooo

Looks like a blast, gotta get on one of those trips this summer....
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #15
PAL

Fun times. Sure looked like it could go on the outside. Settled for bass.

After a year off from chucking kayaks around the boat, the Islander crew had it going on. Even smoother sailing for upcoming trips. This mothership season should be the best yet.

Check out this chunk checker Pierpont dredged up. 7.75 lbs on the boga.

PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #16
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
Looks like a blast, gotta get on one of those trips this summer....
Why wait?

Seriously, the fishing can be just as good this time of year as in the summer. Come summer LJ will be poppin, but now is a great time to hit up the islands. The YT are showing as well as WSB, and it is usually all the calico/whitefish/sheephead/rockfish you want. The summer trips are almost full or sold out, but these April trips will sail with as few as 12 people.

Yes, I am shamelessly plugging these trips cause I wanna go, but also because Shane and his crew have really gone out of their way to cater to the plastic fleet. They had custom racks and a custom step made just for the kayaks. I know Brent at OEX and Shane have worked hard to keep the cost minimal, even with the rising fuel prices. If they are able to consistently fill trips, i suspect we'll see more of the boats begin to cater to the kayak nation, which means more opportunities for interesting fishing.

rant over.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #17
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Sounds Awsome! I wanna GO!

I am talking to the wife tonight and gonna show her who's boss!

PlEEEEEEEaze Honey?lol

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #18
madscientist

Damn, just heard they have officially cancelled it. I guess someone forgot it was easter. Next one is April 27th.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #19
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Bummer!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:11 AM   #20
reel fishy

How much are these trips anyhoo?

Is it 1 day or day and a half?

How many yaks/anglers do they take (12-15?)

If they are planning on hitting SCI, and the Navy closes it for bombing or whatever, do you just go to Catalina instead?

Thanks for the info gents, definitely have to get on one of these trips.

Fish caught on these trips are also eligible for WCW / jackpots right?

-Todd
reel fishy is offline   Reply With Quote