Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
Dennis

LJ 5/10 PM

Lot's of bait.. Launched at 230. There was a slight offshore, but it died off. I thought there were going to be a lot of kayakers fo sho.. Just a couple of us. Overcast, 61 degree water, 1-2ft waves. Made bait at the kelp, a nice fat dine, greenies and spanish. Pinned on a couple and started the troll.. Nothing happening for me, but did see one C-Bass landed. Back on the beach at 730, to a skiff that had 3 Cbass and a yellow (all in the 35+ range). Back at it tomorrow.

Art, did you get?

-Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:59 PM   #2
aguachico

That tin can was on fire.

I didn't do squat. There's a lot of fish, but a lot of bait. I don't want to steal his thunder, but wait until you see the head on this MONSTER WSB caught tonight. It's head's bigger than mine :shock:

Mark?

aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
phreshwon
PHRESHWON

I'll let you post the pics Art! I am computer stupid :? I did not weigh it but it was a brute!!! Pushing 50lbs easy :shock: . Thanks for the photo biochin'
phreshwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
aguachico

Photos added
Old 05-11-2006, 06:44 AM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

NICE TOAD MARK!!! Here's my report...

Looked very fishy... birds, easy bait, current, cleanish water..

Ran into Dave H, we were talking about going in when ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

He ended up with a #43 WSB!

I decided to paddle over that spot... zzzz, then zzz, picked up my rod, line started peeling, felt heavy, put it in gear!! pulled the hook! :?

Stayed around, for nada, then zzz, zzz, zzz again, reel in gear, missed... :? then tap tap, line peeling, reel in gear, BENDO!!!

but not the right kind, a 4 lb calico... Put a tecate can next to it for size... Released....

Landed around 8:30PM to 2 ft surf... Good seeing ya Dave, nice job on the Croaker!!

I will be back tonight!

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
madscientist

Nice! See the PM crew tonight.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:25 AM   #7
dmr

Very nice fish gentlemen.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:53 AM   #8
vellocity

nice one Mark!!!
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
ski

Niiiiice FATTIES!
Good luck to the PM shift tonight. I was going to join ya, but was too tired to load my stuff this morning. Gimmie sumptin to cry about!
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
aguachico

I was on the beach with DaveH before we launched. He said it's been a long long time since he's caught a fish. I told him today was his day. I wish I predict the stock market.

AC
Old 05-11-2006, 02:38 PM   #11
phreshwon
PHRESHWON

Art, you were two for two on the predictions. When I saw you on the beach, I told you I was going to watch you boat another 50lb'er. And you told me it was my turn! :shock:
phreshwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #12
Aaron&Julie

Great work guys on nailing some of those quality whites out there.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #13
aguachico

Mark;
that's right! I was spreadin thee love like a good skipper should. I messed up by not fishing the down. I was on the fly the whole time.
I was too happy just to be fishing and not working on the panga. I was really hoping for the YT.
Again great catching guys. See ya soon.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #14
PlasticSkipper

Thanks for the congrats everyone, and the prediction Art, I'm still stoked. That is a "catch of a lifetime" for me but is just another fish for some of the guys on these boards. I was way too busy at home and work to get out Wednesday night, glad I did it anyway. I was getting ready to clean it that night around 9:00pm and read the rules in the WSB derby, "must be weighed at one of the official stations". So I iced it down and took it to Seaforth early Thursday. They weighed it for me, 46 lbs! But they said they needed the head before I could take the rest. I didn't have knives with me and was in a hurry to get to work so I took it next door to Sportsmen's Seafoods, they set me up real fast. They cut the head off and filleted it while I waited. Packaged up in 2-serving size vacuum sealed bags and covered in ice in my cooler for $.75 lb. I spoke with Mario there who said he prefers to ice down fresh caught fish and let it sit for 18-24 hours before filleting because it is much easier to get clean fillets once it is stiff, rather than mushy. I've always filleted same day but will try this next time. Has anyone found a better way to get it weighed and turn in the head?

PlasticSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #15
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
18-24 hours before filleting because it is much easier to get clean fillets once it is stiff, rather than mushy
I have found this to be very true. I usually have work waiting for me, so I put the fish in a bag and put it in my freezer (I have a 24 foot freezer, doesn't everyone) it is not low temp around 15-20 degrees. After I catch up on work I'll cut the fish and it is way easier, it is not frozen, just nice and firm.

Next time ask Mario if he remembers "the Iceman" I have not talked to him in a couple years.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #16
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Congratulations Dave & Mark!

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote