Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-19-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
larry

bait tanks

Hello yak fishermen,

I'm looking for a bait tank for my prowler 15. Based on my searches on the internet it appears that I have a choice of three tanks.

The tanks are:

1. The Thresher by Liquid Fishing $125.00.

2. The Kayatank by the Yak Shack $269.00

3. The custom tank sold at La Jolla Kayak Fishing $250.00

I'm looking for the pros and cons of each unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm fairly new to kayak fishing, fished Mission Bay a lot last year but nothing yet this year. Hope to hit San Diego Bay and La Jolla kelp this summer.

Have been checking out all the kayak fishing web sites and am really impressed with the great community of kayak fishermen. Looking forward to meeting some of you in the near future.

Thanks in advance for any info on the bait tanks.

Larry
larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
dorado50

bait tanks

LIQUID BAIT TANK IS AWESOME FOR PROWLER 13 HOLDS AT LEAST 10 TO 12 MACS. PREFER BLUE COLOR, VERY SOOTHING FOR BAIT
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
Ryan The Sealion

Re: bait tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50
PREFER BLUE COLOR, VERY SOOTHING FOR BAIT
:lol: :lol: I am gonna be getting 1 of those soon.. I'll make sure I get the blue :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Gettinuglysson
Newb

i've got the thresher tank by liquid also and it fits PERFECTLY into the back of my drifter. the only cons i can think of for it is that it's not round. this gives the bait the opportunity to swim into the corners and get banged up a little more than a round tank. other than, i love it. and i love having a built in storage place for the battery for the tank.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
dorado50

BAIT TANKS

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE BAITS DON'T MOVE AROUND AS MUCH IN A BLUE COLOR EVEN WITH SQUARE CORNERS. PLUS, THIS IS NOT OPEN OCEAN 'TRAVLING TO THE FISH GROUNDS SENARIO. LA JOLLA AND ANY BAY ARE MOSTLY FLAT ANYWAY
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I just made a bait tank from a 9 gallon poly water storage tank that I got at West Marine. I have the same concern about bait going into the corners and getting injured. My solution is to cut a large diameter PVC pipe lengthwise into 90 degree segments. I am going to install the quarter-round section of pipe in each corner using 3M 5200. I'll wind up with a roughly oval shaped tank, but will not sacrifice much of the internal volume.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:44 PM   #7
cabojohn
PROBATION

There are good tanks to choose from...or make your own. Hook1 sells the Retrofish instructional dvd.
I got a custom proto tank from Jason Morton for my Tarpon T160i and I am stoked with it. It's a light weight, low profile & high volume tank...and the hatch is HUGE so getting bait out is easy. No corners so the bait doesn't get worked. (Kept my baits healthy and happy!)
What ever works for you!
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
John M

Bait Tanks

I have a Prowler 15 with the Kayatank inside. The low placement adds to stability and does not take up any space on deck( full use of tank well).
I can still store my rods below deck when the waves are up and the landing may be wet.
Also when catching bait I can drop bait directly into the tank without touching them(the hatch is between my legs when seated).
The tank comes with a battery,battery case and wiring harness for your fishfinder. Get the timer switch and the 7amp battery will last all day powering your finder and tank.
Since it is built in it is real nice to not have rig and unrig the tank each trip. I just flush it out with fresh water.
The cost is a bit more than others but all of the parts are quality and put together the right way.

John
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #9
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

check this out http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/art...ak_Articles=15
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:44 PM   #10
aguachico

There's really only two choices. Buy an internal tank from Kayatank or build your own. Internal kayatanks are the best bait tank for a kayak. The design and concept are leaps and bounds ahead of anything in the yak fishing community. I have owned buckets, tupperware, custom poly, to drop in poly tanks for 8 years. My internal tank is the best tank ever. There's not a person on this planet that has had one and didn't love it - that's right love it. There are a some doubters, but there were doubters for the automobile.

If you think the prowler is the yak your going to keep for 3 years plus. The cost of a kayatank is minimal. If you want an above deck tank for the prowler...
box, battery, switch and pump - build it. Macs can deal with corners, they are bait - not pets.

Also; when you buy any bait tank whether external or internal, you are paying for the years and years of experience, trials, errors and tweaking the manufacturers have put into their products. Making the right decision the first tiime will save you time and money.

AC
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:37 PM   #11
Ryan The Sealion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico
Macs can deal with corners, they are bait - not pets.

AC
quote of the day :lol: :lol:
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:39 AM   #12
madscientist

I'm another one that loves my kayatank. Apart from all the benefits Art described, the guy that makes them is absolutely first class and stands behind his product. All of the workmanship is absolutely top notch. Any of the options out there will work, but I'd never go back to any other.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #13
JimPat

Brad/AC,

I have a ? regarding the Kayatank. I just bought a FF with battery, did you add a second battery, or do they reduce the cost if you have them hook it up to an existing one.

Thanks,
Jim
JimPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #14
PlasticSkipper

Re: Bait Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M
I have a Prowler 15 with the Kayatank inside. I can still store my rods below deck when the waves are up and the landing may be wet.
It seems like my 7' rods would need to slide under the tank on a prowler 15, is that how it works? I was interested in these tanks before but that kind of spooked me. Thanks, Dave
PlasticSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:17 PM   #15
aguachico

Quote:
I just bought a FF with battery, did you add a second battery, or do they reduce the cost if you have them hook it up to an existing one.
I've always used seperate batteries no matter what tank I had. I use a 3amp bait short day, 7amp bait long day. With the Kayatank bait switch it saves a lot of juice. For my FF and GPS I use a 1.5 amp short day and a 3amp long day.

AC
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:55 PM   #16
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Dual batteries for kayak

It may cost and weigh a little more, but using two seperate batteries / circuits can eliminate some problems. Having the bait pump on a seperate battery pretty much eliminates any chance of electrical interference affecting your fish finder or GPS. The pump will generally draw more current than all other loads combined. With a seperate battery for the pump you don't have to worry about killing all of your loads by running the pump too long. This could be important for those who use a combination fish finder/GPS for navigation.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:14 PM   #17
John M

Quote:
It seems like my 7' rods would need to slide under the tank on a prowler 15, is that how it works? I was interested in these tanks before but that kind of spooked me. Thanks, Dave
No problem with the 7' rods. I can store 4 ea 7' rods and reels inside.
You just need to turn the rods so that the guides are toward the hull not the tank. They slide right in.

John
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #18
madscientist

I was going to run seperate batteries for the kayatank and the FF/GPS, but Jim assured me the circuits were clean and so far I have had no problems with them both on the same. I usually take two 7ah batteries for a full day on the water, but that's mainly because my color GPS sonar sucks juice like crazy. The pump would last all day and then some on one battery.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:08 PM   #19
JimPat

Thanks for the info. I plan on getting the Kayatank soon and will probably stay with one battery and only upgrade to 2 if I have problems. Good to know others are running on one without issues.

Jim
JimPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:11 PM   #20
larry

bait tanks

Great info thanks for the advice,

See you on the water, olive green prowler 15, 60ish ex san diego firefighter, rookie yak fisherman, you guys have been a great help.

later,

larry
larry is offline   Reply With Quote