Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2006, 08:11 AM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Colonet Mexico, Memorial Weekend 2006

It is that time of year again, where I will be heading down to Colonet, baja to camp and fish. I thought I would post this now, to give anyone interested time to plan, and get time off.

This is a great place to get away from civilization with very primitive camping, and over the years great fishing. Colonet has a magnificient coastline, with seemingly never ending high sea cliffs. Surf is normally small in summer 1-2 ft, sometimes occasional 3-4 set, last memorial, I stepped over the waves.

This is an open invite for anyone to join us down to Colonet this year. I hope to get a good crowd, and I am willing to share this spot with those of you who kayak fish. Unfortunately, there are plans to build a large seaport in this area, so it will not be as it is forever.

Fishing includes: WSB, yellowtail, lingcod, rockfish, Calicos, Halibut, and surf perch...

I plan on leaving down mid morning Thursday May 25th, and returning back Tuesday the day after Labor Day, as I plan on making a trip of it... It will be come and go as you please, as we have made this trip on only a couple days, ie Sat through Monday and had a great quick trip.

Just cross the border via I-5, and take MEX HWY 2 to HWY 1 toll roads. (just head towards Ensenda cuato) There are three tolls, each toll is about $2.30 American. Follow HWY 1 to Ensenada. Continue past Ensenada, HWY 1 will now say "San Quintin." Colonet is only 145 miles south of the border, which is 77 miles past Ensenada at KM 126. Once you cross the border, this trip takes 3 to 4 hours depending on traffic, and how fast you drive.

The specific tournoff for Punta Colonet is at the end of town at about KM marker 129ish, you will turn off onto a dirt road on your right with the following sign:

Colonet is a small town, but has plenty of ammenities, including a Pemex recently built with a mini-mart. But instead of sandwiches, they have burritos with a chile in cellophane in their store, as well as, clearly knockoffs of red bull, and gatorade. There are a few small stores as well, which you can replenish your beer, ice, water, and beer. These stores contain plenty of other items, we even found soy sauce for our yellowtail once. My suggestion is to bring all your own food, beer, water with you. Then replenish ice and beer in town, and other minor items as described above.

This is not a sausage festivial, feel free to bring your ladies if they are camper types, some of us are bringing ours. (they need to keep eachother company, while we fish)

We hope you can join us... There will be a $10 Jackpot for Sunday's fishing, excluding sharks, rays, and whales.

If you have any comments, questions, or concerns, please feel free to contact me @ sdholymackerel@gmail.com

Here are some Journals for your reading pleasure: (click on links below)

Colonet Wide Open

Colonet Dos

Colonet tres Amigos

Colonet Memorial Day 2005

Colonet Labor Day 2005

Tres Tails

For your Travelling Needs Courtesy of Froman Limited Americas, Bangladesh, and Taiwan™

Froman's Top 10 Tips for Travelling baja

Colonet Weather link: *courtesy of fishingkayaks.net

Colonet Weather

****Disclaimer: You may or may not catch a big WSB, probably not. I cannot gaurantee that you will have fun, it is up to you and probably how your parents treated you as a child. This is a Free offer, valid in all 50 states, excluded on Sundays in Colorado. Only one coupon per person. Froman is a real person, and you may or may not meet him, if so be nice. Furthermore, Froman will require payment for his appearances, at least one cerveza, he may or may not speak on behalf of sealion's as his opinions sway with the popular current political trends. SD Kayak Fishing is not responsible for any lost equipment, women, or dinero to those puto federales. Furthermore, this is a kayak fishing event not an SDKF event, half the time we don't know why we have a site. If there is a WFO bite of any species please don't post this fishing spot on BloodyDecks forum, otherwise it will be crowded on the weekend like at La Jolla. Please don't be an ugly American. Please no drugs, or guns.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
I plan on leaving down mid morning Thursday May 25th, and returning back Tuesday the day after Labor Day, as I plan on making a trip of it...
Dude, that's a LOOOOONG trip. You must be wealthy or retired.
Ha.

Thanks for putting this up. That's cool of you.

Z
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
PlasticSkipper

I'll be camping near Camalu, at the shipwreck if there is any S/SW swell Friday thru Tuesday. Mostly a surf trip but I'll try to visit Colonet with my kayak. Stop by our camp at shipwrecks for a beer. If there is no S swell we may go further south to Punta Baja to catch the N/W swell.

Anyone kayak fish near the shipwreck? There is an easy launch behind the wreck but I don't know if the area holds many fish. Seems like I remember a kelp bed on the outside which helped calm the wind chop on the sets.
PlasticSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

I have seen kelp there, and it seems fishy. Shipwrecks peels nicely, thinking of bringing my longboard for Colonet, stop by Colonet if you go down.

* photo courtesy of Steamroll Productions
Old 04-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
PEMEX

A panguero told me there is a submarine canyon outside of the shipwreck and it's dungee heaven. They used to sell gallon bags of claws for 10 bucks.
PEMEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
Kevin

There is all sorts of reef and kelp between shipwrecks and Quatro casas (to the north). And I believe there is a fishing village just to the south or in the bay from the ship wreck. So I would imagine the fishing would be good all through out that stretch. Surf wise, ship wrecks need a solid south to work otherwise it is a super slow wave better suited for a long board. Quatros is generally bigger with a little more punch.

Chris, that right where you camp, is that only a winter time break, or does it work in the summer, too?

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin

Chris, that right where you camp, is that only a winter time break, or does it work in the summer, too?

Kevin
Further south from the spot near we camp, basically Punta Colonet (the point), seen below

the dirt road runs south along the cliffs, and there is a surf camp there. I think it gets different looks and exposure to swell direction. This pic below is looking opposite of punta colonet, and wraps around further south... you can kind of see a peninsula coming off it.

Definately longboard surf, but like my surfing friends, they bring a couple different boards for different surf, you never know. One thing I am confident, is the point where we camp with be mellow for kayak launches.

Chris
Old 04-19-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I think he meant memorial day :!: :?:
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

I can't wait to shoot another movie of Brad! :twisted:

Ken

katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:23 AM   #10
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel

Definately longboard surf, but like my surfing friends, they bring a couple different boards for different surf, you never know. One thing I am confident, is the point where we camp with be mellow for kayak launches.

Chris
Thanks Chris. If there is some good swell, I just may come down and crash sans kayak if thats cool.

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:34 AM   #11
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Thanks Chris. If there is some good swell, I just may come down and crash sans kayak if thats cool. Kevin
Cool, all are welcome to join us! 8)
Old 04-22-2006, 07:47 AM   #12
scwafish

Hmmmmmm....
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:50 PM   #13
scwafish

I have the clearance Clarence...I am in....Wooohooooo!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Sweet!! My cousin from Santa Rosa is heading down for the trip as well, should be fun... 8)
Old 04-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #15
scwafish

Awesome. I'm rollin with PAL...can't wait!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #16
Ventura Yak'r

Caravan?

We're looking forward to making new friends, learning from seasoned pros, eating some great food... and did I mention the beer? Will be heading down there with my wife and good friend. Anticipating leaving early Saturday morning and staying until Monday or Tuesday. Just curious if there will be a caravan down there? Looking forward to seeing ya'll down there!

Eddie
Ventura Yak'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:59 AM   #17
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Eddie, glad you can make it, I will be heading down with a caravan on Thursday, hopefully crossing the border around 10AM, you are welcome to join us, otherwise see ya there,

Chris
Old 05-22-2006, 08:07 AM   #18
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

*****************Bump****************** 8) 8) 8) 8)

I sent out an email to people I knew where coming on this trip, in the event the major port has implications on our camping spot, I don't forsee any, but it is always good to have a backup plan.

email below:

Hi all,

I hope everyone on this email list can make it down! First as you know we will be heading to the point to camp (Punta Colonet)... Turn off at about KM 129ish (after Ensenada) on the right "EJ Morales 13" sign. (as you will see the EJ V. turnoff is when heading down is south at the end of town, going up a hill on the right)

The point looks like this you can't miss it, we will try to put signs leading you there once you get to the coast, just head towards it... Scroll up to my first post on this message for directions to the point.

***Alternate spot info:***

There should be no problemos with this camp spot. However, as some of you may know there is a large seaport that may or may not be built. There is ABSOLUTELY no official word from the Mexican Government about this going through, and even then could take years before construction begins. Some of the land near the point where we camp has been sold, only in the hopes of the seaport going through to make lots of money on resale, so it is just sitting there unused as before. I forsee no problems camping there, but just in case I wanted to offer a back up plan.

I have access to a beach house, just up the road back north at about KM 126ish. We have launched here, and had great success fishing. It is actually a northern entrance towards fishing towards the point, this place is a great second option, and not far from the other. The house is owned by my brother in law, and located at the beach called San Antonio del Mar, again only a couple miles north of the point.

NOTE: This is in the scenario we can't camp at the point as planned!!! Again, I foresee NO problems, but it is always good to have a backup plan, esp in Baja. To get to the house in San Antonio Del Mar, should you not be able to camp at the point, (we will put up a sign, if this is the case) you need to follow these instructions.

1. Head back NORTH on HWY 1 back through the small town of Colonet from "EJ V Morales 13" turnoff. (Turn left from that dirt road onto the HWY)

2. Once you reach the north end of Colonet (small town about 3-4 km long) at about KM 127ish, you will cross over a small bridge, over a dried riverbed, take the dirt road on your left. (Basically you are retracing your steps)

3. You will know this is the correct dirt road because there is a Church at the top of the entrance to it.

4. Follow this dirt road in about 5-10 miles straight in... It will splinter, but stay on the main center road. You will come to some small beach houses.

5. As you go straight in, the road witll end directly at the beach. Look for the one with the Killer whale painted on it to the right. It is right next to a lagoon. You can't miss it, if you follow this road in.

Eddie R, has a spot close from the beach house with great beach access for kayaks, see attached pictures. If you are not caravaning with us, we will check the house periodically, and leave detailed instructions to get to this alternate spot. You do NOT need 4x4 to get to any of these places.

Here are some pics of the Alternate spot... (near the house above)

If you are NOT caravanning with us Thursday AM, please respond to this email with the date & time you are leaving so we can have an idea of when to expect people to look out for you, in the slim event we cannot camp at our first choice. Again, this is a slim chance, but we would like to plan for every scenario, since there are a lot of new people to Colonet, and make sure we all hook up for a great time!

You may want to print this and bring along with you.

If you have any questions, feel free to email sdholymackerel@gmail.com

Chris
Old 05-23-2006, 04:49 AM   #19
scwafish

Me, PAL, and Chefstephano are heading down Sat at 0300. See you there!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:04 AM   #20
'Cuda

For a 15 day forecast, accuweather.com the San Quintin report has always been very reliable for me. Also the bay in front of the La Cueva del Pirata Hotel in Camalu is a known WSB spawning area.
Good luck and good fishing.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote