Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-01-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
PlasticSkipper

LJ 4/1 AM Report

Checked it out from Bird Rock to Blacks while biking. Only saw maybe 4 kayaker anglers out there, one guy working the boilers at Big Rock. The water looked much cleaner. It was nice at 7:00am but a good wind from the south had picked up by 9:00am. Not much swell, you could have launched nearly anyplace. Most of the kelp was not floating on top but I couldn't see the direction it was flowing, some was floating on the south end. From the Blacks overlook on La Jolla Shore Ln I could see at least a hundred leopard sharks swimming in shallow water inside of the Scripps Canyon buoy. Even with small binoculars I had a hard time with the I.D. until one roller over and showed a flat white belly. I was surprised to see them before the water warms up. Come on warmer water.
PlasticSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I launched around 5:30ish. Water is really clearing up nice and feels warmer. Some spots had 30' vis. Couldn't get bait until 6:50. Maybe the tide, or the fact that by that time drifted into deeper water. Lots of small spanish and some greenbacks in 120-140'. Bait was never balled up tight but scattered. Caught sand dabs and lizards too. Dragged around a greenback low out to the kelp and around the edge for a while. Then came inside the kelp to about 10-30' and drifted over the sandy spots right outside the surf line looking for halibut. A couple of the small spanish got raked good, but nothing stuck (note to self, use trap hooks). Wind sucked. I did get another iron man fish at least. Going to try again tomorrow. There was almost nobody out there today.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Vis looks promising, I will be under the H20 manana... Thanks for the report,

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
Spinal Tap

Tyler,

Which direction was the current going in the early morning? I was walking out there this morning but the kelp off Boomers and the hotel were down. The only kelp was way south.

Thanks,
Nate

Chris,

Where are you diving?
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:13 PM   #5
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

The current was uphill.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote