Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
Razorback

LJ - 3/24 - YAWN.....

Fished the outgoing tide this morning in a small mixed North and West swell that laid down nicely by 10:00 ish. Tough finding any bait around the kelp so I puttered out NW and metered huge bait balls hunkered down in the mud around 130' - 140'. Mixxed bag of Spanish, Greenies and Lizards. No predators in site except the furbags. Not even a single mark on the sonar. Sure doesn't do much good having High Def screens when nothing appears on the scope. :x

Great morning to get on the H2O for a workout and break in the new Mean Joe Green Extreme.

Water was coooold, murky and had funky brown scum swirls everywhere.

Pray for some current to blow in some fresh warm aqua..

HAWG Out
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
dmr

I was packing it in as you were going out. Same story for me, slow. I did meter big marks mid-column a few times, but they wanted nothing of my iron. I didn't see a water temp above 55 F.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
Afran
fishy

Thanks for the report. water temp.......brrrrrrrrr
Afran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Here is our 60 degree water. I think that 3 days of light winds and sunshine is all it will take.

http://www.tempbreak.com/index.php?&cwregion=nb
Old 03-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
PlasticSkipper

Cool photo Hielo-Hombre, you can tune the guitar but you can't tuna fish.
PlasticSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:42 PM   #6
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

3-24-06 PM Shift

Got out of my work function later than I wanted, made it to the launch 4:30ish.... Talked to another Angler who said it was SLOW!! It was beautiful conditions sunny, light winds, little to no surf 1-2ft, made it out dry. As I paddled out, I could see the bottom to about 10ft. Found some sealions working an area, despite my hatred of them, :P they are a good indicator of bait. Metered big clouds of bait, made 3 greenies one drop, then 3 spanish on the next figured it was enough. Water seemed dark on the outside.

Dragged a fly lined Spanish around for nada, current was weak... Decided to head into the kelp look for Bass points... Just about to give up, when my channel Island chovie FT got hit. Caught this 2.0 Calico.

It was nice out, decided to catch the sunset :P

Surfed a wave in and landed dry. Spoke to a Kayak Diver, who went down to about 90 ft in the canyon. He reported poor visibility. Hope it clears up for my Sunday dives. I will be out fishin tomorrow as well...

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:54 PM   #7
jimbofish
Junior

Chris-
Was the one that past you on your way out- Nice pick-up on the Cali- Glad to see you had a better afternoon. Hope Andy is right on the temp timing-
jimbofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #8
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Whats up Jimbofish. Yeah, last night and this morning for that matter the water was reading 56 degrees, and just felt cold... Cold water can be a brick wall to these pelagics....

Here is the 3/25/06 AM report:

Got to the launch to find Ken setting up his new reel... High tide, no room to park on the beach. Current ripping north. Glassy, surf 1-2 ft. Got out dry. Hailed MS, told me he was on some thick bait balls. I metered heavy clouds of bait 120-130 ft everywhere. Easily made greenies, some spanish.

Got to try out my new liquid fishing tank, works great, nice and quiet too.

You can control the amount of agua coming into the tank, so these baits weren't flooded with water.

Bait popping occassionally, birds looking around. Pero, nada... :? Wind picked up by 9:30AM, decided to hit the beach. A nice day though...

Landed and found a swimbait on the sand, if it is yours let me know and I will get it back to you...

Little to no current in the right direction, water looked brown, thinking of aborting my dive plan tomorrow, poor vis, 5 ft max...

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote