Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
DrDirt
Junior

LJ St. Patrick's Day

No bait were harmed to create this message. :cry:

Launched today around 730. Figured that it's been so slow lately, some beginners luck was called for. To that end, I figured I was already a beginner, but to make doubly sure I brought my son (DirtMeister, age 10) for his first day out of La Jolla. Launch was a bit tricky, with long waits for lulls and a couple of waves to the face for both of us. During the paddle out a few big swells, but it calmed down by 9ish. We worked straight out from the launch in 140 to about 210, and from around 930-11 there was lots of fish on the meter. Able to grab a couple greenies and a couple sardines. Meister fished live bait and I tried yo-yoing the iron. Managed a pair of very ambitious macks on the iron, but that's it. Nobody interesting was biting. Water was properly colored in honor of St. Patrick's Day, and pretty trashy near the launch.

Tman - nice to meet you, and thanks for the tips. 8)
DrDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
Dan

Watch out for that Tman guy, he's a bait pimp :lol:
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
PlasticSkipper

My 10yr old digs it out there also. I'm taking him to the boat show tomorrow, he wants to check out the guy who shoots a baby asprin in the air with a bow behind his back. Believing will take seeing. I'm hoping the weather clears for a morning solo run tomorrow but the winds may still be a problem.
PlasticSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:20 AM   #4
JimPat

I want to get my 10 year old out there also. What size/type kayak do you have yours in? My daughter, who actually likes to fish more than my son, is 8 and I really want to get her out there but don't want to get rid of the eXtreme and buy a tandam, so if anyone has a recommendation for a good stable young kid kayak I would appreciate it.

TL,
Jim
JimPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:18 AM   #5
PlasticSkipper

I took my 10yr old out on a half day trip to get him familiar with working the reel and hooking live bait. He picked it up really well so I took him out on our malibu two. He caught bass and had line broken off by bigger fish and enjoyed it so much that I couldn't go without him and I was getting cramped for space on the tandem. Then I found a used hobie sport pedal yak, and he was mobile.

Very stable yak for a little guy and he has the leg power to visit the pier and then pedal to the kelp beds, and go upwind when needed. He bikes with me a lot and has the legs for it. He hasn't been out since early December because of the cold, I'm looking forward to warmer weather and getting him back out there.

I tried going this morning but the break in the weather only lasted 30 minutes. After storming and raining all night, at 6:00am the wind was calm at my house but the wx band was reporting 20mph winds offshore San Diego. I took my dog down to the Shores at 6:30pm and the wind picked up again and it looked like a "victory at sea" video out there. The wind is nearly calm again at 8:00am but the forecast is still more wind.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
madscientist

I have an OK caper for my wife that is a good little kayak for smaller people. I've taken kids out in it and they're fine. I was thinking of selling it since my wife never goes out with me anymore and I'd rather have something bigger for my lard ass friends when they visit. It's got rear rocket launchers, a ram ball/rocket launcher up front, and a bucket with rod holders that bungees in the back and could probably be converted to a bait tank if necessary. PM me if you're interested.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
Hook 1

What advice did he give you? "Hey, don't fish near me. I'm going to catch a big one.....Nap that is." :lol:
If it was about fishing with a kid on a kayak he knows alot.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
T-Rex

My 13 yr old daughter doesn't fish much, but likes to paddle a Scrambler or our Nomad. Not great fishing platforms, but both are light, very maneuverable, and are pretty decent in small surf. The Caper would be a much better fishing platform and an ideal size for a 10 - 14 year old kid.

TL
Rex
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
DrDirt
Junior

DirtMeister was in a Hobie Sport, like PlasticSkipper talks about, which I also picked up used. He takes turns with his 13-yr old brother going out with me on it. They both do really well on it. He had no trouble keeping up with me, and did well in a fairly gnarly launch/landing. It's set up with a couple of rod holders and we have a gear/small fish bucket on the back. I have the bait tank (brand new internal kayatank from anglers yak shack, very cool), so I carry the bait if we need it, and I am available to help with things that might come up. So far, that has NOT included getting a monster fish onto the sport but we all hope it will soon. I read Jim's article about fishing with kids closely and I agree that I get to fish less and have to deal with more to help the boys fish, but I think it's worth it for the companionship. Plus, it's a pretty awesome shared experience with them, plus a great male bonding thing. Last time I went out with my oldest, a big gray whale surfaced about 25 yards from us - he's still stoked about that. They're even becoming comfortable dealing with wriggling bait fish! Meister at 10 seemed to have plenty of endurance and strength to keep up, so I'm impressed with the Sport as a kid platform. I think he probably could have handled it even a year ago or so.

BTW, having the boys go out with me is great as a permission-enhancement device. See, this way it seems like "good parenting" instead of "selfish b_____d always on the water."

Meister did enjoy catching the bait fish, though, so I still think he's hooked. I took a goofy disposable FILM (I know, but they do still make the stuff) camera out with me yesterday, so I don't ahve any pix to show until I get them, gasp, developed ops: but I'll take care of that soon.

The advice we got was more like "this is as boring as it gets out here, I'm going in!" j/k, Tman was cool. He took us to a spot he's ahd good luck with sand bass, trying to help get Meister some action. No joy, but nice of him to help, and lots of good conversation. Some funny fishing with kids stories, also. Good times. good times.
DrDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
Razorback

Malibu Pro Explorer

Here's my 11 year old

Stable
Great fish platform
Tons of storage
Easy to paddle
Tank well large enough for bait tank + fish.

Kids dig it.

Kyle stated with a Cobra Explorer to learn - but it's a lousy fish platform.

Plastic Skip - Great pic of your boy heading out. Looks like he is loving life.
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:04 PM   #11
PlasticSkipper

Someone PM'd me about my kid standing without his pfd, good point I agree. To be honest he wasn't wearing his that day because I wasn't wearing mine, his was on his seat. Since then I bought both of us good ones and I always wear one and insist that he wear one also. We are both swimmers and surfers but I'd hate to see some silly accident turn into something more than silly. Congrats to you guys that are getting your kids out there, special times and memories that will last forever. Dave
Old 03-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #12
scwafish

Boats that would be narrow and "tippy" by adult standards generally work excellent for kids. Boats like a Scupper Pro or a Tourer are great for stronger kids 9-12. Boats in the 31 inch class are generally a little wide for their shoulders and harder for them to paddle efficiently. My kid has been going in his own boat now for about 2 years, he loves it.
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:13 PM   #13
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

My Nephews 13 yr olds... Dos vatos locos...

One on a Tarpon 120, one a Scupper Pro, sold the Scupper Pro to Gotbass, he seems to like it according to his posts, and thinking about selling the T-120, since I really don't have a use for it, same as Brad's situation.

Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #14
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Good meeting you two Doc Dirt, not the best fishing conditions, Cory could definitely keep up though even with the current moving as it was.
One of these better days we'll have to get the boys out there, sure they will have fun. Looking to get one of those Hobie's for Clay, saw one at the show and his exact words were,

"Daddy, how much does it cost?"
"$1200"
"Do you have it in your wallet so we can get it now?"
"Yah, right" :shock:

By the way, don't listen to some of the knuckleheads...guarantee you Twinfin will be calling me in 3-4 years, teaching his boy about kayak fishing...
Hope to see ya out there again.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote