Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #1
SoCalEDC

Casting Rod Under 7'8"

A few months back I picked up a rod for throwing surface irons. I like it alot but its too long to fit in my new kayak hatch so I guess I need a new one , 7'-8" maximum length.

Any recommendations? I am considering the graftech 7'8" heavy rod, but not sold on it yet. budget is anything under 300 bucks, but hoping I can keep it around 200.

Targeting the usual suspects in our coastal waters.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:32 PM   #2
dapHBCM
Junior

I have a Phenix M1 casting and a Turner's California surf rod (Phenix, but under the Turner's name).

Been pretty pumped by both of them so far. It looks like the Phenix Black Diamond has a few 7'6" options. They are closer to the $300 mark. Heard good things about the Abyss rods as well from them, and the axis looks like they have some heavier options.

If you can find a Californian comparable it will be a little less with a similar warranty. I've seen some writeups saying they break easily, but there seems to be a pretty big following regardless.
dapHBCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapHBCM View Post
I have a Phenix M1 casting and a Turner's California surf rod (Phenix, but under the Turner's name).

Been pretty pumped by both of them so far. It looks like the Phenix Black Diamond has a few 7'6" options. They are closer to the $300 mark. Heard good things about the Abyss rods as well from them, and the axis looks like they have some heavier options.

If you can find a Californian comparable it will be a little less with a similar warranty. I've seen some writeups saying they break easily, but there seems to be a pretty big following regardless.
Sweet. Thanks. I almost bought a trip helix a fewonths back, which I believe is the same blank as the black diamond. They are about 190 if I remember correctly. I'll have to see if they have one in a length I can work with.

I am also curious about maybe just going 8' and maybe taking 2" off the butt and 2 off the top, then I could go with a deckhand rod, but don't wanna mess up the action too much.

Edit:. I called and spoke to an employee at Turner's since Californian is their brand and the tri-helix is the axis blank, not the black diamond. My mistake.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe

Last edited by SoCalEDC; 11-11-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #4
JasonG

There's a guy in Imperial Beach, Charlie's custom rods, that will build you whatever you want very reasonably priced. I just had him build me a rod from a blank very similar to the 8' Graftech and had him cut it down to 7'9". It came out perfect, I got to chose colors everything, and it was under $250. Shoot me a PM if you want his contact info. At least give him a call for a quote.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
dapHBCM
Junior

Updated-

My 9’ Californian broke over the weekend. ~12” of the top flew off in the middle of a cast. I’m assuming something weakened it ahead of time.

Turners gave 50% MSRP credit towards the same rod as expected.
Didn’t end up needing the receipt (thankfully), but I’m going to keep better track of the more recent receipt as they did ask for it initially.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #6
iethinker

Daiwa

I love my Daiwa Proteus Inshore rod for throwing most anything. Swim-Jigs, Tady-C, Tady-TLC, even good with Salas 6x Jr, Etc... Mine is a PRIN76MHFB
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:36 AM   #7
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
There's a guy in Imperial Beach, Charlie's custom rods, that will build you whatever you want very reasonably priced. I just had him build me a rod from a blank very similar to the 8' Graftech and had him cut it down to 7'9". It came out perfect, I got to chose colors everything, and it was under $250. Shoot me a PM if you want his contact info. At least give him a call for a quote.
Cool, thanks for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapHBCM View Post
Updated-

My 9’ Californian broke over the weekend. ~12” of the top flew off in the middle of a cast. I’m assuming something weakened it ahead of time.

Turners gave 50% MSRP credit towards the same rod as expected.
Didn’t end up needing the receipt (thankfully), but I’m going to keep better track of the more recent receipt as they did ask for it initially.
Hrm, wierd that it broke off mid cast, dont think I have ever heard of that uless the lure as just way too heavy or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
I love my Daiwa Proteus Inshore rod for throwing most anything. Swim-Jigs, Tady-C, Tady-TLC, even good with Salas 6x Jr, Etc... Mine is a PRIN76MHFB
sweet, I had something like this in mind.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
Old 11-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #8
dapHBCM
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
Hrm, wierd that it broke off mid cast, dont think I have ever heard of that uless the lure as just way too heavy or something.

I am 99% certain it had been damaged in transport/storage somehow. I was tossing a LC110. If it happens again there may be a problem - hopefully wont come back with another update!
Old 11-24-2020, 10:17 PM   #9
Uncle_Tomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
A few months back I picked up a rod for throwing surface irons. I like it alot but its too long to fit in my new kayak hatch so I guess I need a new one , 7'-8" maximum length.

Any recommendations? I am considering the graftech 7'8" heavy rod, but not sold on it yet. budget is anything under 300 bucks, but hoping I can keep it around 200.

Targeting the usual suspects in our coastal waters.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
I use my Graftech (20-30) all the time. It’s my daily driver. Stiff enough for dropper loop with up to 10oz and I am also using it to fly line. Even on sport boats. It’s just not great caster which is to be expected.
Paired with Penn Fathom it’s a great combo. Especially for the price. I have seen them at Turners for ~ $130 if I remember correctly.
Uncle_Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #10
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Tomas View Post
I use my Graftech (20-30) all the time. It’s my daily driver. Stiff enough for dropper loop with up to 10oz and I am also using it to fly line. Even on sport boats. It’s just not great caster which is to be expected.
Paired with Penn Fathom it’s a great combo. Especially for the price. I have seen them at Turners for ~ $130 if I remember correctly.
Cool, thanks for the info. I have yet to get down there and check them out, but maybe on black Friday
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe