Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
icelogger

Catch and Release YT and other big game fish

I was reading an good article on how to release fish on bd such as black sea bass, halibut, and bottom dwelling species without harming the fish. The article shows a technique using an upside down hook and 2 lb weight to send down and safely release the fish.

I'm curious to know how you release big game species such as YT, WSB?

I caught my first YT in the 30 to 35lb range last weekend and filleted it up. Man that's a lot of fish to eat and freeze! I'll be good for a while. I would like to learn some release techniques.

Thanks
icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
taggermike

YT are easy to CnR. They are tough and usually tired enough at landing that they don't thrash too much. They also don't bloat and float. Remove hook and sort of torpedo them headfirst and down. WSB are a rather fragile fish and will usually be kinda floaty and require a time to revive. Don't take them from the water , remove the hook, turn right side up, and push them back and forth until they swim off. Halis a the worst in my opinion. They aren't tired and you always have to expect that they are going to freak out. I don't like nets because they tend to tear up the fins and if the hook is in the fish and gets tangled in the net the fish can be out of the water longer than you want. I try to get the hook out with the fish in the water and the just let them sink away. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Cbad Mike

You got one??? SON OF A BITCH!
Congratulations!
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

for rockfish, boats use a crate with 4 weights. put on the corners and a rope tied on the bottom middle. they flip the crate upside down and send the rope down with the fish inside of the upside down crate.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
icelogger

Thanks taggermike. That's great info about WSB. The technique you describe is the same with northern pike and muskie after a long fight. You have to revive them by moving them forward and back right side up. The movement gets their gills working right and gets oxygen flowing. I've had a lifetime of experience reviving fish that way.

I'll keep a few here and there but the majority of the time I'm all about CnR and sustainable yield.

It keeps some fish in the sea for Cbadmike.....

Cbadmike, yes. You will be psyched when you catch one. Keep at it, the day will come.
icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelogger View Post
I was reading an good article on how to release fish on bd such as black sea bass, halibut, and bottom dwelling species without harming the fish. The article shows a technique using an upside down hook and 2 lb weight to send down and safely release the fish.

I'm curious to know how you release big game species such as YT, WSB?

I caught my first YT in the 30 to 35lb range last weekend and filleted it up. Man that's a lot of fish to eat and freeze! I'll be good for a while. I would like to learn some release techniques.

Thanks
you haven't eaten it all yet? had like 5lbs of hiramasa sashimi when i got home and kept at it for 2 days after.

theres a tag and release vid in the reports section.