Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
steveoh

Hobie Bait Tank Problem

I've been having problems with my bait tank lately. As I paddle out, I will turn it on to fill it before making bait, but every once in awhile it will turn on...fill the tank, then turn off. Or it won't turn on until I keep turning the switch on and off many times.

First off, my battery is fully charged and I check that before I leave the house.

Secondly, I checked all the wire connections from switch to pump and battery, and there is nothing I can see that would cause this.

So I'm thinking it might be the switch?

If anyone else is or has had this problem, how did you fix it? I lost a full tank of bait the last time I went out, because I didn't pay attention to when my tank turned off, the water drained out, and my bait started flopping around....so I decided to let the bait go since I couldn't get the pump to turn back on.
steveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Billy V

It sounds like a bad switch.

They are about $10 for a replacement. It helps if you use dielectric grease liberally on - and around the switch knob.

Be sure to use shrink tube butt connectors with adhesive when connecting the new switch wires. You want it sealed up good so water doesn't corrode the connection.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Billy's right. I had the same problem. The tank has a 1 year warranty so if yours is less than a year old, the switch should be covered. Contact your dealer or Hobie directly.

When replacing the switch you should pick up a couple new pins for the connector plug by the battery as they are very difficult to remove from the old wire. Alternatively, you could splice the wire with a butt connector or waterproof wire nut and not mess with the pins.

As for the problem of the water draining out of the tank when the motor fails, as they say, "there is an app for that". Check the Innovations thread for a simple solution. Basically, you attach a 90 degree PVC angle connector to the pump and attach a piece of pipe to that. This routs the water input to the top of the tank and makes it so the water will not drain out through the motor.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
roby
CEO of Team Roby

I would go with the advice given above since they have owned Hobie's for quite awhile but...

I had the same problem about a month ago. The manual for Hobie is incorrect or I'm reading it incorrectly. For the battery on the tank to be fully charged it needs to start blinking. When it's blinking then it is fully charged and is now in "trickle mode." The manual does not read like this. The second simple solution is to make sure the intake tube is pointing in the right direction when it goes through the scupper hole. It can twist about a 1/4 inch either way sometimes.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoh View Post
Or it won't turn on until I keep turning the switch on and off many times.

i went out last weekend and b/f i did i checked my switch on my hobie tank. it didn't turn on. i rechecked my battery and verified that it was fully charged using a volt meter. then i looked to see the wires were connected and not hanging.
once i did these checks i started to fiddle around with the pull switch on the outside of the tank. i noticed that if i pulled it out fully it would not turn on. but if i pulled it out gently and partially it would.
i know that there are issues with this on the hobie tanks with corrosion but i spray everything down with fresh water after each time i go out and apply electrical grease on the switch, but it seems that the problem in further inside the switch where i can't reach.
in the mean time i am able to use my tank by pulling the switch out partly and making sure that i don't bump into it while fishing. i have to remind myself that if it is too quiet on the water then i better check on my bait tank. last sunday i had to restart my bait tank a couple of times.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

Try soaking your switch in vinegar for about an hour. I had the same problem and the vinegar did the trick.

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski
Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
tagyak

hi ken,

how do you take off the switch? i had tried to unscrew the chrome knob but it won't give.
what is it that i am missing to do?

tim
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
steveoh

Thanks for everyones input. My switch is doing the same thing....if I fiddle around with it and pull it halfway, then the pump will work (sometimes;( ) and if it's pulled all the way out (like it's suppose to) then nothing happens. My tank is about 2 years old and I haven't used it that much and I wash it down with fresh water and grease everything I can...I guess I have to pick up a new switch. Has anyone put a different switch on their tank, as I don't want to keep replacing it if Hobie's switch design sucks.
steveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
mtnbykr2

as everyone has said the switch is the culprit, the contacts inside rot away, thus allowing you to get it to run in certain positions. it will runn on and off in this condition, West Marine has the new switch usually in stock, at this point it is futile to do anything with that existing switch, time to replace...mine lasted about two years as well and it was well rinsed every outing...just wear and tear of the saltwater....b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
Nic D

JUST went through this with both my tank and my fathers tank. I bought new switches at West and was able to fix my dads tank. My pump had already gone south which was really weird.

You can always take it to OEX and let the boyz fix ya up.
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
mike m
Junior

hobie switch

Your problem is the switch. They are the weakest part of the system. I had the same problem, thought it was the battery, bought a new battery and still had the problem. I changed the switch and the problem went away. The only other problem I have had is sometimes kelp can get caught in the pump and stop it. If this happens you have to clear the pump.
mike m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
TCS

Hobie, are you listening?

There have been a lot of threads about this switch. Hobie is pretty good at improving thier products and backing them up, but what's up with this? And if its a known issue, then back it up for more than a year. In detroit, this would be called a recall.

I'm just about to buy a bait tank and I like the hobie cause it fits well in my adventure, its also pretty pricey at $250. This just seems like a huge pain in the ass.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Tom, you make a good point. I suspect that Hobie has been listening. When I went to the factory to pick up a replacement switch, I was told that a newly designed bait tank is on the way.

This is a good thing, but I agree with you. Guys like us on highly visible forums such as BWE help sell products through our praise or, by our condemnation, cause folks to follow another path. With that in mind, someone from Hobie should step up and admit that they may have put something out there that is not as good as it should be.

Hobie makes great products. From my experience, they also give excellent customer service. My recommendation to anyone who believes that they may have been sold a substandard product, is that those folks contact Hobie and ask for some help. I would be surprised if the response was anything other than positive.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote