Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
KirkG.

I've always just used the sprayer that you can get at home Depot for pesticides or whatever. They have a couple different sizes depending on how much water you want to bring. Fill it with water and add 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar to help dissolve the salt and rinse away.

B.A.B.A, Broke Ass Bass Anglers Pro Staff.
SikFishindustries.com Pro Staff.
KirkG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
Dannowar

Get a rinse kit. Carlsbad company. Use mine allll the time. Enough pressure for a minute or so of rinsing

Www.rinsekit.com
Old 08-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkG. View Post
Fill it with water and add 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar to help dissolve the salt and rinse away.
Is this a common practice for cleaning kayaks and fishing gear?

I use vinegar to dissolve rust off of metal overnight. If I forget about it for a few days, it makes a mess out of tools and other things I leave in the vinegar bucket. It's slow acting, but it definitely keeps eating.

I'm wondering if this might be bad for Mirage drive parts, electrical connections, plated surfaces, fish hooks, lures, poles & reel parts?

I would be nervous to get vinegar into areas of moving parts and not getting it all washed back off with fresh water.

If we have to rinse a second time to get the vinegar off, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Maybe your recipe for dilution makes it safe?

I would like a short-cut formula for neutralizing salt, but would like some more confirmation that the acidity of prolonged vinegar contact is not dangerous.