Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

5/25 LJ PM

Launch and landing were the high points. I knew the surf was going to be pretty thumping as the pier was 6 foot at 9 seconds. I stowed all my stuff to launch and land and luckily timed them both well. Launched with Super Dave and saw Tyler and another out there. I could not find a bait so started throwing the iron. First cast was a 7-8 pound Boney, hooked in the eyeball so no ironman sub, as it's gotta be in the kisser. Only other fish for me was a small barracuda, once again not in the pie hole. Nobody seemed to want to land in the dark in that slop. So we were all in safe n sound just after sunset. Dave tried to paddle all the way to his car.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Some nice head high surf. I went with a friend from work. It was his first time out. I told him launch and landing are usually no big deal. When we got to the launch it was thumping short interval and huge sets. I didn't stow my stuff for launch and actually made it out with a dry shirt. I found some bait on the ff and picked up a spanish and never found them again. Dragged the spanish around low and got picked up twice and dropped. I would always like to think it was a wsb, but really who knows. It did get a smashed head and some cool teeth marks. Landed at sunset so I wouldn't have to chance it in the dark. Literally stowed everything that could be put below. I got lucky and made it in dry.

making the dash for safety. Notice the even bigger swell forming in the background.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
lamb

Wow, those waves look pretty bad. They would eat me and spit me out fo sho.

Sorry to hear no reward, there should have been.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:31 AM   #4
aguachico

Cool pics. I feel sorry for the baja launch this weekend.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:35 AM   #5
Lit-up1

LJ

Two nice Bonita and dinky Calico's for me and heart thumping launch and
landing. We have been lucky for the last few months and now I remember why. I guess the surfers have to have some fun or they will all start fishing off jet skis'

Dave
Lit-up1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:15 AM   #6
T-Rex

Nice pics! By the looks of those waves I'm guessing a full wetsuit might be a good call for the weekend.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
Dan

.....I wouldn't be opposed to the bonies hanging around for a while....give my bass stick something to do!!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:04 AM   #8
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

hopefully the swell takes a downer this weekend. CRAZY...as I am writing this, in the background I can hear the newscaster telling people to be careful because of strong currents and high swell..
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #9
cabojohn
PROBATION

Were the launch conditions any better today?
I predict a wet launch Saturday :lol: I'm in...anyone else fishing?

cabojohn
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #10
vellocity

Re: LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit-up1
I guess the surfers have to have some fun or they will all start fishing off jet skis'
Dave
ops: hey :roll: don't give anyone else ideas!! haha!
Dave, you are correct though... if there were waves everyday i would have never started fishing..
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:54 PM   #11
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I almost forgot because of all the surf, I saw a very small mola out there too. I heard this splash next to me and saw a boil. Then again even closer it jumped out of the water a foot. It sure looked like a mola. It was about the size of a medium to small pizza. Very cool. I reached for my jigstick to try and cast an ironm at it for some cool ironman exotic points but no go. I had never seen one from the yak before, and never one that small. All the other ones I had seen were offshore on tuna boats.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #12
bluesquids

Sure it wasn't an Oprah..er I mean Opah...
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42918
Old 05-26-2006, 03:49 PM   #13
DaveC

Nasty conditions, thanks for the conditions reports guys. Tyler, I've seen molas right outside the kelp before and also just outside the surfline up off of black's. Hope the conditions square away for a Monday session.

Dave
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:57 PM   #14
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

It was not an opah. It looked just like a mola, I just had never seen one that small and that active. I also didn't know they came in that close.