Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #1
dapHBCM
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
They probably help, but if you get an outback it comes with foam blocks installed in the hull that provide buoyancy in the event that the hull takes on water. I have seen some of the old school guys out pool noodles inside the older hulls to replicate that.

I read somewhere about putting an electric bilge pump into the kayak instead of carrying a hand pump. The logic was that you will get fatigued from the hand pump ---- seems like overkill to me, but are people actually doing this?
dapHBCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapHBCM View Post
I read somewhere about putting an electric bilge pump into the kayak instead of carrying a hand pump. The logic was that you will get fatigued from the hand pump ---- seems like overkill to me, but are people actually doing this?
Many years ago, I installed an electric pump after flipping and losing a bunch of gear offshore on a Pro Angler 14. It was an overkill response to the loss. In reality, the main reason for the loss was that I had taken the front liner out of the fwd hatch, and the early PA's did not have any sealing gaskets, so if the front hatch did not have the liner, it flooded the whole kayak quickly when overturned.

With the gasket-sealed hatches and extra internal floatation, the risk is lower, and now I just carry a hand pump, bailer, and sponge. Since that incident, I always keep the liner in the front hatch of the PA14 for extra safety.

I weigh 200lbs, typically take 4-6 conventional rods, a fish bag with 12lbs of food, water, and ice, 4lbs of tackle, a downrigger with a 5-6lb lead, Fishfinder with a 6lb battery, and the Livewell that depending on which one I use, weighs 68-94lbs when filled with water.

Taking this gear, I have never had issues with capacity on the PA14(rated for 650lbs). Last year, I started using the 2019 Outback(rated for 425lbs). I can carry the same amount of gear without issue provided I practice more catch and release. I did have one trip with the 94lb Livewell when the 75lbs of landed fish could not be stowed in the fish bag without sinking the back end of the kayak. I dumped the Livewell and headed in.

Last edited by JohnMckroidJr; 11-03-2020 at 11:02 AM.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:30 AM   #3
dapHBCM
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
I did have one trip with the 94lb Livewell when the 75lbs of landed fish could not be stowed in the fish bag without sinking the back end of the kayak. I dumped the Livewell and headed in.
I appreciate the info and hope to have to make that same call soon!
dapHBCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapHBCM View Post
I have not seen it. I just carry a big sponge. I did the manual bilge pump for a while but it slides around the inside of the hull to where it was mostly unreachable at times and if could finally reach it, its long and awkward to position it to comfortable pump water from between your legs out over the side. I tried to tie it a few times, and then the line would end up in the way of other stuff I wanted in the hull. The sponge doesn't take up much space and doesn't slide around. I just squeezed it between the bottom of the inside of the hull and the center hatch bucket of the kayak when I was on the wtaer and it never moved and was right where I needed it if I did. It also works great for rinsing stuff off. just dip it in the ocean, and then squeeze it over your legs to get the nasty blood from a flailing fish off.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote