Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-15-2020, 07:44 PM   #1
YellowYaket

Eastern Sierras: May 27 - June 11 (without kayak this time)

Just returned from a relaxing trip to the Virginia Lakes region of the Eastern Sierras. On the way up, I only saw one other RV on the 395. Lone Pine through Bishop were much more quiet than normal. The Forestry Service campgrounds were closed for the duration of our trip, but we found a spot on public land suitable for primitive camping far away from anyone. Since our kids were able to go with us, we left the tandem kayak at home and took my float tube and my 13' Valco with trolling motor instead. The Virginia lakes were relatively quiet until June 1st, when larger fishing crowds arrived. I have no idea where everyone was staying, but the crowds returned day after day. We enjoyed consistently good fishing (and hiking) throughout the trip. I lost what may have been my personal best trout from Big Virginia lake fishing an ultralight heavyweight custom mini jig on 2 lb test. The fish was peeling off line and doing a little aerial acrobatics for the enjoyment of the other float tubers around me. It was fun fight while it lasted, but the 2 lb line eventually succumbed to the pressure. I know people have landed much larger fish than this on 2 lb line, but it wasn't meant to be for me that day. The mini jigs on 2 lb line were the hot ticket for me ... and this was my first time using them with any seriousness. The old trusty red/gold Thomas Buoyant also caught more than its share of fish for my family and me. Over the course of the trip, we fished Big Virginia Lake, Lower Twin Lake, Virginia Creek, Dynamo Pond on Green Creek, and hiked to and fished Moat Lake at 10,580 ft (caught and released a larger Brook trout there on the mini jig). We had mostly beautiful weather, with a few snow showers mixed in for good measure. Overall it was a great trip (we really enjoyed being away from the news for a few weeks). On the drive home (afternoon/evening of June 11), the RV and vehicle/boat/kayak traffic heading north was very heavy since the FS campgrounds opened up on June 12. After one day of work, I am ready to go back for another 2 weeks, but I can't figure out how to make that happen while still collecting a paycheck.
YellowYaket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
tak100
Recruit

That is the only part of a good vacation that sucks. Going back to work!

Those ultralight heavyweights have great action. The bigger sizes work really well in saltwater as well. I use the 5/8 oz size for really good action with the bass.

Thanks for the report.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
Fishon14

Was suppose to be kayaking Silver lake the first week on June, but our camp ground was still closed. Heading up in July with the kayak and some friends to the Bishop. I have been fishing the mini jigs for years, they work great for trout. Thanks for the report.
Fishon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
Saba Slayer

Silver lake surf report

The wind has been howling since noon yesterday...
Slow at Silver so far...couple of rainbows and a Brown for Todd’s son Ryan...
The forecast for the rest of the week looks good...
Attached Images

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
Saba Slayer

Bring a boogie board

Bring a boogie board...
Attached Images

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #6
YellowYaket

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
That is the only part of a good vacation that sucks. Going back to work!

Those ultralight heavyweights have great action. The bigger sizes work really well in saltwater as well. I use the 5/8 oz size for really good action with the bass.

Thanks for the report.
Thanks for the tip regarding their use in saltwater for bass. I will have to give that a try.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #7
YellowYaket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Bring a boogie board...
I hope the wind dies down for you and that you have a great trip! It is hard to beat the relaxation factor in the Eastern Sierras. Best wishes!
Old 06-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #8
YellowYaket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishon14 View Post
Was suppose to be kayaking Silver lake the first week on June, but our camp ground was still closed. Heading up in July with the kayak and some friends to the Bishop. I have been fishing the mini jigs for years, they work great for trout. Thanks for the report.
Bummer about the loss of your June trip, but at least you have a July trip to look forward to. Enjoy!