Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
Navyyak
Junior

WORLD RECORD

For number of times going to the jewel and getting nothing but frickin mackerel. 3 and a half years now of going practically every single weekend. I'm getting pretty tired of lugging all my crap out there for nothing. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love being on the water but at some point you gotta ask yourself Wtf? Right now I'm 2 miles from the launch, Water temp is 68.8. Took me forever to get one Spanish that is now fly lined as I'm drifting back.... when will I get my chance?! Haha
Navyyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
Dillon207
Junior

Crack a beer, better than being at work!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dillon207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Good things come to those who wait.

In the next year or two, you still might catch a fish!

If not, Yanni told me mackerel tastes pretty good, especially the Spanish.

You are doing better than those who can't make bait!

PS - Is this a setup for bringing back another random WSB wandering around at the 120' contour?

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 07-03-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
phisher_man bossin-it
Junior

Where area were you fishing?
phisher_man bossin-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon207 View Post
Crack a beer, better than being at work!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it's not.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

You may need to change up your techniques. Lots of factors come together to get a bite.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #7
NICKWORN

Pm'd sent

NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #8
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
You may need to change up your techniques. Lots of factors come together to get a bite.
Yeah but even a broken clock is right 2x a day. 3 yrs hitting lj w/o a bite is suspect.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:49 PM   #9
Navyyak
Junior

In the 3 years I have had one legitimate hook up with a yt, felt the head shakes i keep reading about but i guess he shook the hook out, didn't have a circle hook that time. I'm running an x factor with an hds 5 second gen. Seagate sgt50 with 65 braid, 35lb leader about 6 ft long. Sometimes I fly line, other times I use a dropper loop. Nothing every single time. I miss lobster season, at least I catch something then haha
Old 07-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #10
Rambo

How often are you going out

I liked to know how often are you going out there and how far of a paddle? Also how many hours are you spending on the water? Your setup seems good enough but the hours you spend on the water matter, also the timing and how far are you out there. These variables makes a different considering if you spent 3 years out there but less than 1 or 2 hours each trip and your travel distance is less than 1 mile then your not getting out there far enough or not spending enough time on the water to get a bite.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:05 AM   #11
Navyyak
Junior

Today I went 2.5 miles from the launch, was out there a good 4 or 5 hours
Old 07-04-2017, 05:32 AM   #12
Slug
Junior

I fished LJ probably 20x over a couple years before getting into my first YT. Once I got one, it seemed infectious. I began scoring pretty regularly. I think back to the days I would get skunked every time and I really don't feel Like I did anything much different then I do these days... just unlucky I guess.

Go out with someone who has it dialed in and just see if your doing things the right way. I'm certainly no pro but if our schedules aligned I'd be happy to show you how I fish LJ. I know it can be frustrating seeing posts of guys getting a YT on the first time out. Used to drive me nuts cause of all the hours I put in to get mine. Certainly they just got lucky or went on the right day. LJ can be finicky and certain days you can do everything right and not be rewarded. Keep pluggin.
Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:46 AM   #13
JohnMckroidJr

There has to be something wrong for such an unlucky streak. Take a trip with a guide, or go out with a very successful experienced angler to find out what you are doing wrong and prevent another 3 years of skunkage.

Last edited by JohnMckroidJr; 07-04-2017 at 07:54 AM.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:50 AM   #14
taggermike

That's a long dry spell. LJ can have great fishing. But those times are interspersed between lots of mediocre and dead periods. Like times when you hit every light green. Or red. Your timing might just be bad.

The tough question is, when you're getting shut out are the people around you getting bit? If not its likely just the day. If so it might be what you're doing. Or not doing.
Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:54 AM   #15
goldenglory18

Maybe its bad karma from the click-bait tread title? LOL
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #16
supaboy1981
Pro @ not catching fish

Take a 2nd rod and troll the bottom for rockfish. Atleast you'll pull something

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
supaboy1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #17
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaboy1981 View Post
Take a 2nd rod and troll the bottom for rockfish. Atleast you'll pull something

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Sorry but I disagree with this. If you want to catch a yellowtail, fish for yellowtail. Any other distraction will not help at all. You are doing the right thing. Have 100% confidence that you will get a bite if you keep doing what you are doing. If possible, try to stay out there till noon.

I also disagree with just sitting and drinking beer. You should be constantly moving and looking. You have HDS, use it to its fullest potential. Don't stop and rest or eat until you are over a huge wad of bait. If you are looking at an empty sonar screen, you are in the wrong spot... move along. When the YT swim through, there are lots of signs. If you're not seeing any signs, keep looking. Sure... people will get lucky "blind" hookups in dead areas. This is NOT what the locals do. You should be hunting, not waiting.

How long does it usually take you to make bait? Do you put a flyline out right after you get the first mack, or do you wait until you're "done" making bait? Already tanked up on bait... Good, you should still look for more. YT will be biting where the bait is.

Don't read too much into "reports"... conditions change by the hour. A report will give you a good starting point, and hopefully some motivation. After that it's eyes up, head on a swivel, and ears peeled. You will get one, and it will feel SO much more satisfying than the guys who hire a guide and get a trophy fish on the first or second trip to LJ. The "one season pros" will keep posting their fish... which might make you feel like you're doing something wrong. Trust me, it's not that easy. You've already put in the work, now's not the time to give up!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #18
NICKWORN

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Sorry but I disagree with this. If you want to catch a yellowtail, fish for yellowtail. Any other distraction will not help at all. You are doing the right thing. Have 100% confidence that you will get a bite if you keep doing what you are doing. If possible, try to stay out there till noon.

I also disagree with just sitting and drinking beer. You should be constantly moving and looking. You have HDS, use it to its fullest potential. Don't stop and rest or eat until you are over a huge wad of bait. If you are looking at an empty sonar screen, you are in the wrong spot... move along. When the YT swim through, there are lots of signs. If you're not seeing any signs, keep looking. Sure... people will get lucky "blind" hookups in dead areas. This is NOT what the locals do. You should be hunting, not waiting.

How long does it usually take you to make bait? Do you put a flyline out right after you get the first mack, or do you wait until you're "done" making bait? Already tanked up on bait... Good, you should still look for more. YT will be biting where the bait is.

Don't read too much into "reports"... conditions change by the hour. A report will give you a good starting point, and hopefully some motivation. After that it's eyes up, head on a swivel, and ears peeled. You will get one, and it will feel SO much more satisfying than the guys who hire a guide and get a trophy fish on the first or second trip to LJ. The "one season pros" will keep posting their fish... which might make you feel like you're doing something wrong. Trust me, it's not that easy. You've already put in the work, now's not the time to give up!

He said "one season pros" ah hahahahhahah, wait a minute i've only been kayaking for 1 full season, I post my catches, hey are you talking about me!!

LMAO
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #19
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
He said "one season pros" ah hahahahhahah, wait a minute i've only been kayaking for 1 full season, I post my catches, hey are you talking about me!!

LMAO
I'm sorry I don't mean to diss anyone. I am more referring to the fact that some people significantly reduce their learning curve, which may lead others to believe that they are doing something wrong by spending time OTW and not catching.

Then again... we all know that guy who hires Josh or Kevin, then the next week they are out there dropping all their cool guy slang and bragging on the beach about how wide open it's been. Then 6 months later they can't figure out why fly-lining over submerged kelp isn't producing 3 fish days.

Everyone has their own style, and some people just don't have the time to fish LJ every weekend for 2 years. The OP has already put in the time. Don't let other people's posts deter you from trusting in what you've learned over the years. You're doing it right, and your fish will come.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #20
FullFlavorPike

time to buy a boat
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote