Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
surfisher

Ponto/Leucadia 8/10 - YT

Well, I gave the offshore (technically inshore on a skiff) thing a run today. Headed out at Ponto to ankle slappers. Easy bait making just outside the surf zone. I made it out about 3 miles before seeing way too many hammerheads and not much life, although hammerheads normally point to tuna? I decided to head north and head in and fish for the bonies/cuda on 8lb (the runs they make are extremely fun and worth a try if your bored).

Got slammed by this sucker on my way in. He hit it once, spit it, then came back for it. This YT wasn't very long but it was chunky. Quick photo then released. Worked my way to the kelp at ponto and caught about 20 bones/barracuda up to 3-5 lbs. Fun shit! Go get them.

Name:  G0028068.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  65.9 KB
Name:  G0038176.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  43.2 KB
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

It's not your first one...I think you can keep'm now....

Good job on the release!
Old 08-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #3
kayakfisherman

How killer is that?? Beautiful pictures. Nice fish, all of them.

Where's the gopro vid???
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
EntropyFletch

Nice! Saw you at LJ on Saturday and we talked a few times in passing. Tough at there but looks good for you today!
EntropyFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
YTHunter
Carlisle

Nice report! Like hearing something that is not always LJ (which is where I always fish) and not always YT. Caught a big barracuda the other day (4ft) that was a nice chance of pace. Totally different bite than YT. Similar to bonito... they keep keep chomping down/ attacking your bait until there's nothing left but the head, and then one last bite and its over for them.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTHunter View Post
Nice report! Like hearing something that is not always LJ (which is where I always fish) and not always YT. Caught a big barracuda the other day (4ft) that was a nice chance of pace. Totally different bite than YT. Similar to bonito... they keep keep chomping down/ attacking your bait until there's nothing left but the head, and then one last bite and its over for them.
Yup! I always use the small waxwings or a spoon jig when I fish for them because it's incredibly rad to watch them boil/jump out of the water for the lure! Then the reel starts singing haha always a good time. I always have the trout rod/8lb spin setup stashed inside my kayak for times like that haha

Yanni, no gopro for that one unfortunately. The camera was dying to I just took a few photos in case I hooked up again.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Awesome job Bryan!!! Hopefully we can get out there together to fish those exotics Thursday or early next week. Sorry for the cancel tomorrow but can't pass up the opportunity to try for the big boys outside. GL tomorrow!!!

Nice Work today

Geno
Geno Machino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #8
Dennis

Glassy! Congrats on the fish!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:52 PM   #9
Rav3n805

Nice tail!
Rav3n805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 PM   #10
King Saba

Hot dang! That looks really fun! WTG!
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #11
RK

Killer
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
Dirty Curti

Perfect! I am lovin' the North County fishing posts. Great job.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:14 AM   #13
spicolly

Nice work & pics @surfisher. I need to stop wussing out and just charge it! What part of Ponto are you launching and landing? Any suggestions?
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #14
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
Perfect! I am lovin' the North County fishing posts. Great job.
Yea fun little area for sure ... this season is nice because you don't have to go very far to pull on some quality fish. Wonder how it will turn out for the coming seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicolly View Post
Nice work & pics @surfisher. I need to stop wussing out and just charge it! What part of Ponto are you launching and landing? Any suggestions?
Like Dirty Curti said .... if there is any bit of swell in the water, take a lot of caution. The spot is open to both south swells and north swells and they dredged a lot of sand here over the winter and the launch can get kinda gnarly, not really worth trashing your gear over a fish. But when it's under 2ft it's easy just like LJ.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
spicolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
Yea fun little area for sure ... this season is nice because you don't have to go very far to pull on some quality fish. Wonder how it will turn out for the coming seasons.
Thanks @Surfisher, I can't wait to have flat surf and charge it - that sounds weird.
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #16
Goose1993

Do you fish barradcudas at all in the winter? They would be a fun thing to catch when the fishing slows down.
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #17
FISH11

Congrats Surfisher, nice fish. Look like you're still slaying them. My luck has slowed down last few weeks. I think I need to just go out more than once a week.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #18
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Congrats Surfisher, nice fish. Look like you're still slaying them. My luck has slowed down last few weeks. I think I need to just go out more than once a week.
Fish11 .... My luck went WAY south since the last time I caught a YT (I killed that one a few weeks ago on my skiff). Since then I have only caught rats to probably 10lbs haha ... I finally got a good one after like 7-8 trips.

As for fishing cuda during the winter, I don't think I've ever caught one or tried for one in the winter... It would definitely be fun though.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:12 AM   #19
govomit

bonito

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
Yup! I always use the small waxwings or a spoon jig when I fish for them ... have the trout rod/8lb spin setup stashed inside my kayak for times like that
Isn't 8lb way too light for toothy fish like bonito/barracuda... What kind of leader do you use to protect your lure ?
govomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #20
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by govomit View Post
Isn't 8lb way too light for toothy fish like bonito/barracuda... What kind of leader do you use to protect your lure ?
It sounds light but I have never had problems with it. Most fish don't swallow the lure. **knock on wood**