Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #1
Gflann

LJ 1/14

Launched at 0630. Got totally skunked on making bait in the inshore area off pt la jolla. Lots of birds sitting on the water, occasionally moving to different spots. I think they were skunked in the early morning too... With a 0945 high tide, abandoned the bait search and headed to the deep corner with heavy irons. I was about 2.5 miles offshore checking out different areas with no solid marks. But the birds were working probably another mile or so offshore. Lots of circling and diving birds.

I saw alot of bird activity towards the south inshore mlpa border area so I peddled over there to fish the outgoing tide. Figured I would get back on the Hali mission and hit some sandy spots I had marked over the past few months. Switched to a dropshot with a 6” nuclear chicken gulp grub and the Calicos were all over it. Not being the targeted species, switched to a white fluke and still kept getting Calicos. Ended the day with 11 released Calicos. I would have been happier with Sand Bass because then I would at least feel like I was in the right spot for Hali’s but I’m still happy catching something.

I did see a really odd fish swim by. Looked like and Opah but it didnt have a tail. Just a vertical rear end with a top and bottom vertical fin. Any ideas?

Lots of peddling, lots of Calico’s and a beautiful day. If anyone is planning a trip in the near future, I think the southern border of the MLPA is where its at with all the birds working down there. I think there was another report from a few days back mentioning the same thing.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
summers in kuwait

Was it a sunfish/ mola mola?

You will see them from time to time and they can get pretty big.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:49 AM   #3
Gflann

Yup that’s it!
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2021, 09:16 PM   #4
Southwest Kayak Fishing

Still not a bad day, the calicos kept you pretty busy and the weather was great! Thanks for sharing!
Southwest Kayak Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:59 AM   #5
Gflann

Yea I should sound a little more grateful. It was a really nice day, especially for January. And the Calicos were fun. Here are a couple smaller guys at the end of the day.
Attached Images