Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
j mo

Gyotaku

Gyotaku (Japanese 魚拓, from gyo "fish" + taku "rubbing") is a centuries old tradition first used by Japanese fishermen to record and preserve their catches. Like a reverse form of wood block printing, ink is applied to your catch then a special paper (rice) with high wet strength is pressed or rubbed onto your fish. Gently peel it off and you have a true one of a kind image. If you’re looking to preserve the fish of a lifetime or If you have a little one, Gyotaku is super fun, easy and a great way to spread the stoke.

Here’s what you need: Sumi Ink (black and white), sponge, brush, rice paper(it comes in rolls or sheets), and your trophy catch/favorite bait …. Cost ~ $12. (Rolls of rice paper make it easy, as you’re figuring out your technique you can just press out images and roll out the paper until you get one you like.): Name:  supplies.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  107.5 KB

Position your catch on dense poster board and make sure it’s as dry as possible taking care to remove the slime and blot up any excess moisture; this ensures the ink will adhere to the paper: Name:  IMG_1118.JPG
Views: 1079
Size:  46.2 KB

Next have your fearless assistant brush on a coat of the ink so it covers all the nooks and crannies, then tell him “there’s a lizard over there..” so as to distract him and when he’s not looking, gently use the sponge to soak up all the excess ink that was slathered on; the sponge will also help you create a mottled look with the ink.: Name:  jt painting squid.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  54.9 KB

Let the ink dry so that there is no more sheen to it. Once dried take your rice paper and gently press it onto your specimen making sure to get the edges. Peel it back and this is what you will get: Name:  Squirt.JPG
Views: 1075
Size:  45.0 KBName:  2 squirts.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  112.9 KB

Stoked! These will make great gifts and will look awesome framed for your home/office. I Wish I could silk screen these would make great T’s. My little guy wanted to "Goku" everything after this hahah.

PS- Wanted to Gyotaku this one, my new PB, but couldn’t find rice paper long or wide enough.Name:  wsb gill rakers.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  67.3 KB

Bye the way Oolie, this is how not to hold a WSB, fingers slipped little too deep, I got the gill rakers and pic was snaped! I guess that toad got the last laugh...

Epic day/week for sure. Rushed out of work to home and loaded up, got to the beach realized I grabbed my bass tackle in haste- no irons, went to turn on my tank, no intake tube-. Got outside “man you should have seen this place at noon.…” Pit in my stomach! I was bummed, thankfully Josh gave me a Zig Zigglar style pep talk and a “lucky jig” and was on his way back to the beach with (another) super stoked client.

Shortly after had this guy on deck and sent one swimming, passed on my bait to a new friend ( who hooked up with it- awesome!)and as Kevin “The Kid” called it giggled like a 13 y/o with his first playboy all the way in. All I have to say is thank God for blind fish!

Last edited by j mo; 06-29-2010 at 01:08 PM.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
fishinkid2010

WOW... all I have to say is wow. Congrats on the pb Josh, i can see what you mean about you freezer being stuffed!

The Gyotaku is also very cool, you're going to have to special order some extra large rice paper to have on hand for when you beat your new PB.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Dan

Great fish!!

The japanese fish printing works out great on Tshirts. Michaels sells silkscreen ink (and blank T's). Dry and paint the fish and then print the shirt onto the fish. when it's dry, heat fix it with a warm iron. Some of my favorite fish are printed and I can wear them like a boater would fly a flag. I did a WSB tail from the waistline up to the neck with the broom up on the collar it looks rad, white on black. Printing a YT to wrap around the shirt looks sick too. People always ask where i bought them. Make matching ones for your kids and then you're even cooler.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Ohana

I have a surfboard by Marshall Madruga that used this technique to create a kelp/calico/sheepshead pattern on the board.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
bellcon

Cool art work and an awesome fish
Way to go Josh
Old 06-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
dorado50

Huge!! That fish barely fits in the picture...good job Josh.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
umtduckhead

nice work! congrats! toad for sure!
umtduckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #8
driftwood

Now that is a classic post! very clever ending.... original- one of a kind post.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
Oolie
Headshots Only

:notwo rthy:
thank you for this post, i will cherish it.

i'm gonna start doing this stuff, i'm just worried, is the ink safe to eat?

don't want to make a print with a fish and not be able to taste it.

that sucks about the gills, that's a bad mistake.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
lamb

very cool,

both Gyotaku and that beaut ghostly piece
Old 07-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
THE DARKHORSE

Finally!

Josh's WSB resume:

As promised, Josh gets the white-hot dope in the first week of March and does what I say, almost perfectly----- ---next time out with hot info------then again--------He's starting to freak out (any man would) and calls me again, saying "what am I doing wrong"?---I tell him " I wasn't there, I have no idea what kind of drag you're using, or what in the hell you're doing wrong so I can't tell you" ---I go on to say: "you shouldn't be farming that many, though"---Josh keeps going and keeps hooking up, but 'ing again and again---I tell him: "you should be stoked that, at least, you're hooking WSB every trip"---"obviously you're doing the right thing at the right time!"---I think that comment kinda' pissed Josh off, but I felt obligated to fuel the flame (someone had to do it )---in between raising a family and earning a living, Josh gets another call saying "get your a$$ out here now!"---The rest is history.

53lbs of purple love!

Congrats, bro!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
Nic D

great fish josh....

Hey Pruit, what am I doing wrong?
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote