Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
j mo

Stingrays....

Fished last night and landed at 10:ish to sirens and lights. A PB'er had an artery severed by a rays stinger, according to the Lifeguard I spoke with.

The scene on the beach was not pretty, beached twin engine and allot of blood....Good news was that he was met by the paramedics almost immediately and taken to Scripps. Hope he is ok.

So, for the love of Pete if you hook one, just cut the line, in addition to injuring you i'm certain that stinger could do serious damage to your kayak as well.

Side note- If you are fishing at night make sure you have a deck light or head lamp at the least. The boat above passed us doing at least 20knots on its way to shore. Later when we were helping them get off the sand one of the crew members said "I m glad we saw your light"

Best,
Josh

PS- Sorry for the PSA- I guess having two children is turning me into a danger ranger and I will have to abandon my long standing motto of "safety 3rd"
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
Willy

That's a crazy story! I hope the guy is OK.

Makes me think of the Croc Hunter. Rays are no joke...one wellplaced shot and it's curtains.

Good work on using your lights Josh.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

what a bummer, I don't think thats the kind of blood on deck they were looking for
Old 06-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thanks for the heads up, do you know what kind of ray it was?
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Oh Yeah!
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Jimmyz123

Knowing first hand the pain being stung has with it, I also advise that you cut the line rather than mass with them. I saw the type of stinger that got Steve Erwin and it's no wonder he didn't make it. That thing looked like a knife and then backed up with poison, No way man. Fishing is suppose to be fun.

Oh and about the PSA, I too have been a safety jerk following the birth of my son also. I use to be a little more stupid with thing I would do but not anymore.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
dorado50

Good info Josh! Much more enlightening as too ever present dangers around us than the usual "what color panties do you wear while on the the water"
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Figured it's a Bat ray, had a couple eat my bait in recent weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_ray

Quote:
While the bat ray, like other stingrays, has a venomous spine in its tail (near the base), it is not considered dangerous and uses the spine only when attacked or frightened.
FWIW, I have been shaking the hook loose at boatside with that tail whipping around, now on second thought a hook will rust out.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
Dean Machine

What type of light were you using that the boaters were able to see? Did they say they saw it right away or kinda later than you would have liked?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
PS- Sorry for the PSA- I guess having two children is turning me into a danger ranger and I will have to abandon my long standing motto of "safety 3rd"
"Danger Ranger", love it.

Wait until the kids are old enough to drive and sneak out after you thought they were in bed. Even worse are the times that they just fail to make it home at the agreed upon time. Cars, booze, drugs, sex and all the rest, combined with a teenager's uncanny ability to make unwise decisions can put a lot of stress on a parent.

My wife seldom slept on weekends while my kids were in High School. It was probably payback for all the dumb things we did when we were that age.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
dorado50

Hey Bob you lost me on this one!? So your kids got stung by rays?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #12
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Dorado, Josh is at the stage in his life when everything is focused on protecting the little ones from danger. With every generation parents gets a little more protective. This may be a good thing... maybe not. I grew up in the age when no one wore seat belts or used sunscreen. Kids were shown the way to school a couple times and then expected to make it there and back without a parent's help. We did not wear helmets while riding bikes. There was no bottled water and fast food was considered healthy. Most of us survived the dangers of childhood.

My point was that if he worries about his kids' safety now, just wait a few years. It gets much worse.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
bluesquids

I carry some quick clot in the bottom of my drybag. I never imagined you'd need it for a batray. Don't think they have much of a strike.

My last SCI trip... in one spot there were thousands on the floor elbow to elbow in every direction. They were gently fanning the sand up around themselves. The whole ocean floor looked like bubbling lava.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
Jimmyz123

I think everyone needs to re-thing their thoughts of Rays, they are actually a very calm creature and the only reason they sting is if they are bothered or scared. If left alone they will not seek you out to attack. Those barbs and their slimy skin are all they have to protect themselves.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
dorado50

Thanks for the insight Bob. Parents and kids can be a real problem at times! Perhaps you would share some more kid stories,you got me interested in the different generations now...
Old 06-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #16
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Thanks for the insight Bob. Parents and kids can be a real problem at times! Perhaps you would share some more kid stories,you got me interested in the different generations now...
Dave....you're too funny.

Let me know when you need a good deckhand on your skiff....I promise I won't try to tell you how things used to be.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #17
Johnp

Do Dorados eat their young ?
Old 06-25-2010, 05:46 AM   #18
j mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdvr View Post

Let me know when you need a good deckhand on your skiff....
I call DIBS!
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #19
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
I call DIBS!
Get in line Josh
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote