Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
shark
Junior

redondo beach

first time out in months since the crash on mtn bike looking for a ggod spot to make bait at redondo harbor since the bait barge is closed. All advice appreciated, testing the wrists paddling tomorrow. Thnx brian
shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
kayachapi

Bait

I usually just hang my sabiki about 15/20' deep in a rod holder in front of me while drifting around outside the harbor. Greenies will cruise by and load up. I cut the flies down to just 3 or 4 because if your not watching closely the bait will wad you up good and your sabiki is done. Good luck. I hope you have healed suffficiantly. Being injured sucks, getting reinjured is worse.
kayachapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayachapi View Post
I usually just hang my sabiki about 15/20' deep in a rod holder in front of me while drifting around outside the harbor. Greenies will cruise by and load up. I cut the flies down to just 3 or 4 because if your not watching closely the bait will wad you up good and your sabiki is done. Good luck. I hope you have healed suffficiantly. Being injured sucks, getting reinjured is worse.
Yea I once spent over 30 minutes on the water unwrapping my one and only sabiki from a mackerel that decided 6 hooks were better than one. What a mess he made of it. I now add at least a 4oz torpedo weight on the bottom and haven't had that problem since then. I usually cut them down to three or four as well.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
shark
Junior

redondo

thanks for the help B
Old 07-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
Vansmack
Junior

Kind of following on the making bait theme, is there a particular style of sabiki that would be recommended? There seems to be quite a variety of style and size.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
shark
Junior

redondo

tried making bait only two 1 appeared to be a mini yt large fork tail but rounded body hooked up off beach outside harbor felt like a hali 20 ft from yak pulled hook i was in 100 ft or less paddled out at 620am saw 2 other yaks they went straight out. The wrists held up fun day, the italian paddle boarder girls were friendly lol
Old 07-09-2014, 06:44 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

bait

Yea...those Italian girls were really pretty and chatty too!
You probably saw Andy/Iceman about 6:30 and myself about 45 minutes later as we left the harbor...you should have followed.
Spanish Macks and Greenies were easy to make on the edge of the canyon. I couldn't connect on a Butt so I went for some Rockfish...delicious ceviche and fish tacos last night.
After the wind picked up I fished inside the harbor for about an hour. The bonito blew up on bait a couple of times by the break-wall in back by the yacht club but they were only interested in the live chovies.
Hopefully Inseine bait and Albie will be opening soon with some Chovies once they get their boat issues fixed.
Good Luck
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote