Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #1
danemorris24
Junior

Fishing Rincon Island

Hello, I am a new member and I am excited to get to know my fellow kayak anglers. I have been stuck in quarantine and I would like to launch my kayak near Rincon Island. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is open right now. I plan to launch from Mobil Pier Road. Thanks!

Tight Lines!

Dane
danemorris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
TJones

little Rincon aka arco island

call up Ventura county sheriff. they patrol that parking lot. I had them roll up on me when I was coming back in late at night. have you launched from there? its pretty treacherous getting over rock barrier, especially with kayak. also surf is pretty much surf pound. somewhat protected and not nearly as bad compared to county line. . place is beautiful on water at night when its peaceful. rip roaring monster at the other end of the spectrum. been out there at night during conditions when I had no business being there.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
danemorris24
Junior

Got it, thanks for the response and info. Ya I have never launched over there before. I normally launch in Malibu but all the beaches by me are closed right now so I was just looking for somewhere to launch. I will contact the Ventura County Sheriffs. Is there any other good places that you know of that are open to surf launch out of now?
Old 05-11-2020, 01:33 AM   #4
Udine219
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danemorris24 View Post
Got it, thanks for the response and info. Ya I have never launched over there before. I normally launch in Malibu but all the beaches by me are closed right now so I was just looking for somewhere to launch. I will contact the Ventura County Sheriffs. Is there any other good places that you know of that are open to surf launch out of now?
+1
Udine219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:25 AM   #5
TJones

getting out

Quote:
since Malibu is still closed, I would say that Rincon will be closed also. the good news is that they have not announced anything about extending the stay at home order. at least, not yet. some places are open down south. I believe dana? not sure where you live or how desperate you are to get out? well. lets see what happens in a couple days. tight lines.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #6
danemorris24
Junior

The Sheriff's said the beach is open if you are constantly moving, it sounds like parking would be the issue. I am hoping this situation clears up so we can get back out there!
Old 07-28-2020, 08:31 AM   #7
TJones

Sent you a PM

Quote:
Hello, I am a new member and I am excited to get to know my fellow kayak anglers. I have been stuck in quarantine and I would like to launch my kayak near Rincon Island. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is open right now. I plan to launch from Mobil Pier Road. Thanks!

Tight Lines!

Dane
let me know if you are still interested? always looking for new kayak Buddys to fish Malibu. thanks. or if anybody else is interested?
Old 07-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
let me know if you are still interested? always looking for new kayak Buddys to fish Malibu. thanks. or if anybody else is interested?
Some cool photos of it on google maps. I am interested, but it's too far away, darn
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
ProfessorLongArms

Rincon's a pretty fascinating spot. I've been there a time or two. Smells like the air you let out of tires.

Alas, it's too far for me to want to go regularly, as for me fishing becomes more about repetition which yields increasingly to convenience

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rincon_Island_(California) Reading about its purpose and history is really fun. Apparently they were shut down after a watchdog group spotted some major problems. It connects to multiple long reach oil wells, and was basically getting ready to be an ecological disaster. After being shut down, of course the company filed for bankruptcy, sticking the gov't with the bill for cleanup rather than handle it themselves.

They're in early stages of decommissioning, so now's a good time to check it out. Might not be there forever, though I'm not sure if they're just going to remove the causeway.

+1 on the access challenge. While I always recommend fishing with a buddy, it's practically a must to get your kayak over the rocks.
You're basically doing some light bouldering while carrying a kayak

Also there's a Robert Field episode where he thinks he's in Malibu, but is actually fishing Rincon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWLkbIzEGkI Probably not a bad time of year to see if a stray WSB or few are cruising through.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #10
ProfessorLongArms

Also that RF episode reminded me of an Outdoor Chef Life I recently saw that was kind of cool.... He might have enjoyed his Pac Mac a bit more if he'd treated it like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loJHLnjbgZU
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #11
domtesta27

Rincon back parking lot

I've fished at Rincon numerous times, besides the flies out near the island which have literally driven us off the water several times I've had a lot of success fishing there! The pylons leading out have great fishing and we've even had large whales roll right up to the island within 30 ft of us! We've caught lots of calicos, sandies, johnny bass, and short WSB there. Its all also great place to bring the flyrod with sinking line!

Yes if you park in the main lot overlooking the ocean you will have to bring your kayak over rocks, however if you look on google maps there is a back parking lot on the other side of the highway. Last I checked they had closed that lot down due to covid, but if it's open, there is a tunnel that goes under the freeway and down a nice little path with no rocks right down to the other end of the beach! all you need is some kayak wheels and you are good to go! I stopped doing the little escapade over the rocks the first time I ate shit there, its no fun.

Good luck out there!!!!
domtesta27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #12
TJones

fishing is pretty solid there

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtesta27 View Post
I've fished at Rincon numerous times, besides the flies out near the island which have literally driven us off the water several times I've had a lot of success fishing there! The pylons leading out have great fishing and we've even had large whales roll right up to the island within 30 ft of us! We've caught lots of calicos, sandies, johnny bass, and short WSB there. Its all also great place to bring the flyrod with sinking line!

Yes if you park in the main lot overlooking the ocean you will have to bring your kayak over rocks, however if you look on google maps there is a back parking lot on the other side of the highway. Last I checked they had closed that lot down due to covid, but if it's open, there is a tunnel that goes under the freeway and down a nice little path with no rocks right down to the other end of the beach! all you need is some kayak wheels and you are good to go! I stopped doing the little escapade over the rocks the first time I ate shit there, its no fun.

Good luck out there!!!!
I hope my old Buddys haven't killed everything there? Anyways, I am sending PM's to you guys. thanks.