Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Jimmyz123

Kayak Anchors

O.K. logic tells me that a Kayak anchor can have its + and -. First thing that comes to mind is it will keep you in one place, but with that what happens if it gets stuck? Being in a Kayak you don't much leverage should it get really stuck on something.

Here's my question

Do you all like or dislike anchors on Kayaks?
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
StinkyMatt

Get a sharp knife.....
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Wouldn't a cement bucket be a better idea? Cost less and probably won't get hung up as easy.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
newguy01

anchor

here what i do on mine i have a umbrella anchor that have a tie points on both end. i tie my line on the the bottom and leave some slack and zipped tied on other end. just in case u get stuck the zipped tie would break off and you can full from the bottom of the anchor. the green circle you tie your line here and the light blue one you use zipped tie. the size of zipped tee defend on what you can break hope this help
Attached Images
File Type: png anchor.png (6.3 KB, 298 views)
newguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Jimmyz123

That is a great idea. I have someone who offered me an anchor, I'm not one to usually turn down a gift so, I may have to try this trick.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
steveooo

FWIW, I bought an anchor when I first got in to this. I quickly realized that there is virtually no situation in which I wish I had an anchor out on the water. There are not too many times that I would like to sit in the same place and fish, or drag an extra 5 lbs around with me, that includes the bays, big water, and fresh.

I do know that anchors are pretty popular on the east coast though, maybe its just a different style of fishing?
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
O.K. logic tells me that a Kayak anchor can have its + and -. First thing that comes to mind is it will keep you in one place, but with that what happens if it gets stuck? Being in a Kayak you don't much leverage should it get really stuck on something. Here's my question Do you all like or dislike anchors on Kayaks?

It depends on the anchor.

Like most I bought once a small anchor with 1/4 inch rope and quickly found it was overkill and almost impossible to free if hung up. I still have the anchor but now I use it for a second anchor on my skiff.

I've since made a small stainless weighted grapple style anchor made of 1/8 stock, that I use on a downrigger like rig I created that uses scotty mount and 100 pound spectra instead of rope. That one holds great but when it gets stuck I can still pull it by straightening the hooks on the grapple.

I don't use it much (mostly for freshwater) but it's quick to deploy and retrieve and works great. Maybe I'll post some pics later.

Bottom line even in the worst wind you do not need a lot of holding power to stop a kayak from drifting, most anchors are overkill, and whatever you use think about how you can get it back up if it get's hung.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy01 View Post
here what i do on mine i have a umbrella anchor that have a tie points on both end. i tie my line on the the bottom and leave some slack and zipped tied on other end. just in case u get stuck the zipped tie would break off and you can full from the bottom of the anchor.
That is a standard setup this for larger boats, with Bruce and Claw anchors, but instead of zip ties they use stainless wire.

Many an anchor has been saved by the above method, especially in rocky areas like the islands.

If your going to use a standard anchor with rope that is definitely the way to do it.

Jim
Old 11-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
FWIW, I bought an anchor when I first got in to this. I quickly realized that there is virtually no situation in which I wish I had an anchor out on the water. There are not too many times that I would like to sit in the same place and fish, or drag an extra 5 lbs around with me, that includes the bays, big water, and fresh.
X2.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

I use an anchor in rivers when I'm fishing for salmon or steelhead, but I wouldn't use one in the ocean under any circumstances.
I use a cheapo "round" anchor, if there's too much current, it just slowly bounces or drags across the bottom. I wouldn't use any kind of "claw" type anchors. If they get stuck on a submerged tree or log, you lose the anchor or go in after it.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:25 AM   #11
Jimmyz123

I have a drift sock, which after last weeks captains meeting, I might pick up a second one if I'm really wanting to stay put where I am. There I do like drifting along because that's like having a trolling motor on the yak. However there are times when the drift is way too fast. Like someone posted they use a round anchor that just bounces on the bottom, I like those as well. I like keeping things simple.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #12
Fiskadoro

So here's my little anchor setup, since I wanted to make a new one anyway. I thought I might as well show you a improved version that can be made without welding.

Parts:

So that is a chunk of pipe a galvanized welded ring and two 1/8 stainless rods about twenty inches long.

Construction is simple. Slide the ring on to both rods. Slide the rods down into the tube. Bend the rods out like a grapple.

Here's the completed anchor, along with my little downrigger setup I use for with it.

Put the scotty in a mount, mini rigger in the scotty and you're in business. I already had made the rigger to use as a downrigger but it makes a good anchor system as well.

The advantages of this are that you can deploy the anchor instantly, get it up and out of the way fast, and freespool out more scope if you need to move (like your hung up) but do not want to loose your anchor set.

I've used the setup at Castiac for fishing bait. Just drop it down and it hooks in the rocks but when you need to pull it the rods bend out to an extent and it easily comes free. It will work fine with just pipe but I pour lead into mine, which adds maybe six ounces. The whole thing maybe weighs 12 ounces. More then enough to hold me in wind but easy to deploy, use, and retrieve.

The anchor mini grapple itself is so inexpensive and easy to make I sometimes carry them with me even when I do not have the rigger, as I can just tie it to a thirty or forty pound outfit and use it in a pinch. Cast it out, let it hang up, put the rod in the holder and tighten the drag and your anchored, when you want to go pull hard and the tines straighten out. It's just that simple.

Works for me.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 11-25-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #13
Jimmyz123

That is really cool. It will hold you and if stuck allow you to pull it free. Very good creation
Old 11-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #14
StinkyMatt

Jim's "anchor" reel is better than my best fishing reel!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
BT

Nice set up Jim. I may have to ditch my anchor and copy your set up. I am not a huge LJ fisher (I am not a morning person at all) and most of my fishing is during lobster season. I carry an anchor with me while I am hooping because if I want to take a break or shoot the breeze with another yakker while we are waiting to pull another set.

I always check my FF to see what the bottom looks like before I drop it, but I have had a time or two where it hung up and it took me a bit to free it.

Just my .02! I am gonna try making that smaller rig like Jim's. Any weight off my yak while I am hooping is a good idea!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #16
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Mine too.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #17
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Quote:
I have a drift sock
Those don't work that well around here; 35-50mph wind is common, that's a lot of drifting.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #18
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post

LOL... Actually it's pretty cheezy: an old Kencor levelwind. You can get these reels for about ten bucks on ebay. The good part is they are all stainless so they have zero corrosion issues, and have strong gears, but the sideplate plastic is brittle, and the drag is tiny and actually made with a leather drag washer. They work well for what I use them for, but I wouldn't want to fish them for anything other then maybe rockfish.

Jim
Old 12-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #19
805gregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
So here's my little anchor setup, since I wanted to make a new one anyway. I thought I might as well show you a improved version that can be made without welding.

Parts:

So that is a chunk of pipe a galvanized welded ring and two 1/8 stainless rods about twenty inches long.

Construction is simple. Slide the ring on to both rods. Slide the rods down into the tube. Bend the rods out like a grapple.

Here's the completed anchor, along with my little downrigger setup I use for with it.

Put the scotty in a mount, mini rigger in the scotty and you're in business. I already had made the rigger to use as a downrigger but it makes a good anchor system as well.

The advantages of this are that you can deploy the anchor instantly, get it up and out of the way fast, and freespool out more scope if you need to move (like your hung up) but do not want to loose your anchor set.

I've used the setup at Castiac for fishing bait. Just drop it down and it hooks in the rocks but when you need to pull it the rods bend out to an extent and it easily comes free. It will work fine with just pipe but I pour lead into mine, which adds maybe six ounces. The whole thing maybe weighs 12 ounces. More then enough to hold me in wind but easy to deploy, use, and retrieve.

The anchor mini grapple itself is so inexpensive and easy to make I sometimes carry them with me even when I do not have the rigger, as I can just tie it to a thirty or forty pound outfit and use it in a pinch. Cast it out, let it hang up, put the rod in the holder and tighten the drag and your anchored, when you want to go pull hard and the tines straighten out. It's just that simple.

Works for me.

Jim
Have you ever used that to hold you in place? It looks a little flimsy to me. I use a folding Grapnel anchor on my small boats, kayak and inflatable. A 1.5 lb is $12 at WM, takes up little space and weighs, you guessed it 1.5 lb. I could see the need of and good anchor in an emergency, in case of a big fish, injury or gear failure near large breaking waves, or other unseen occasion.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #20
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
Have you ever used that to hold you in place? It looks a little flimsy to me. I use a folding Grapnel anchor on my small boats, kayak and inflatable. A 1.5 lb is $12 at WM, takes up little space and weighs, you guessed it 1.5 lb. I could see the need of and good anchor in an emergency, in case of a big fish, injury or gear failure near large breaking waves, or other unseen occasion.
Honestly I find this post hilarious on so many levels. You not only missed the proverbial boat, but missed the whole ocean.