Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
swavings
Junior

First Time - Beach Launch - 3 to 6 foot waves

Where do I start......

I went to bed last night after I made my home made leashes. (some shock cord, velcro, and a few brass hook things). I kept telling myself I will not get wet, I will not get wet.

I arrive to AO about 5:15 and just check things out for a bit, from where I was standing the waves looked small and was easy to time. I get my kayak all setup for my beach launch... everything valuable was on the inside of the yak so all good there.

Again this was my first beach launch, I have done many at the launch ramps and the bays, where I just kinda scoot my big ass into the water.

6 foot 5 - 280 pounds.... Yak is a Tarpon Wilderness 160.

OK so back to the beach launch, I am dragging it into the water, and then realize, that I have never just jumped on my yak before, as mentioned i scoot. So I feel that there is a break in swell, I go to jump on and start paddling, BOOM... first drink.

OK, I think I know what I am doing now.... I think its time, I jump on, get through the first wave, then a second one comes and is a bit bigger, I hold on and omg, I got through that one.. The third wave comes, 6 feet, and try to go over, and BOOM - Drink #2 two..

I try to get through again... Drink 3, 4, 5, and 6. Now I am starting to doubt this, there is no way I can do this...

After the 6th time, I noticed that I am wearing chest I waders.... But when I take my graceful drinks, my chest is in the water too, Now I am soaked, and my waders are full of water and I am water logged.... I give it one more try and sure enough I made it.

By the time I was past the danger zone, my arms where shakey, out of breathe and really just ready to go home. But no.....

I paddle out about a mile to the area and there are other yakers there, ALL Dry mind you, and the fishing begins.... and waiting and waiting.

I am trying to figure out how to stablize and get my bearings, when I decided to try and look behind me, I lose it going to my right, try to over compensate to the left....... Drink #7. Wait, I have never got back up on my kayak in the deep water before. I remember reading these forums, and just grabbed the other side, and wiggled my big ass back up and was ready to fish again.

On this trip No Fish, but that ok it was a learning experience.

Its not over yet...

On my way back I notice that the swells are even bigger with all the surfers trying to fish, Oh great how am I going to do this.... I looked for the best time and place to go for the home stretch, when I accidentally snuck up on a sea lion, it was so close I could have touched it with my hand.. Then it looks at me, and was scared out of his mind and decided to jump, knocking into the yak, but NO DRINK this time...

So I find my spot, catch a wave and then the back end goes out, felt like I was surfing, and then boom drink#8.

What a experience! Cant wait for the next time!!
swavings is offline   Reply With Quote