Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
walrus

The most important fish of a lifetime.

I can’t remember the first fish I ever caught. I was long over fifty years ago, and so many milestones have been forgotten.

I can’t remember ever thinking any fishing trip sucked, including the ones where I caught no fish or got so seasick I couldn’t stand up.

I do have a vivid memory my first store bought fishing pole. It was purchased in Greenville, Kentucky at the Nickel and Dime store when I was eight years old. I can still clearly see it in my mind. It was a cane pole with red and white stripes painted on it, medal sleeves so it could break down into three sections, a short piece of mono line, a wood float, a split shot sinker and small hook. I’m sure it cost a whole nickel. The cane pole did not last long in the hands of an overactive eight year old boy, and no fish were ever caught on that pole.

The reason I remember this so well was because a few days after the pole was purchased, my dad was took my older brother and me fishing for the first time. He wasn’t a fisherman, but he knew we wanted to go fishing. We drove Kentucky Lake and rented a boat. He conferred with the man at the boat rental on the basics of fishing so he could help us. I still clearly remember the details of that day. To keep it short we fished, cruised around, went swimming, and just hung out as guys do.

Why am I writing this? A short time ago I was talking with my grown son and daughter about their first fishing trip. They expressed how exciting it was, while I remembered how proud I was when they caught the first fish. When I look back on what I’ve accomplished over the years I find those fish are more important to me than the largest fish I’ve caught. I relive those feelings every time someone posts a fish report with pictures of smiling kids, and a proud dad. To you guys, Thank You!

Those with kids don’t miss out, take your kids fishing this week, you’ll never regret it. Hey, how about posting a few pics.

If you don’t have kids or you want more of that feeling I encourage you to support “the Friends of Rollo” to give kids a chance that cannot otherwise get to fish.

Thanks for listening.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
PapaDave

I remember my first fishing pole, same time frame. It was a cane pole ith a cork bobber on it. My dad took my brother and I out in the 'glades along the drainage canals. He would use a fly rod to catch bass and huge bluegill while we went down the bank with our cane poles and worms.

I guess it stuck. I am trying to get my grandkids hooked up in the sport these days.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Deamon

What a nice post. I also do not remember my first catch but I do remember my daughter's first real catch. She's now 17 years old and the days have flown by. She never picked up the sport but we both clearly remember and talk about this moment. A real treasure picture for me...
Attached Images

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
DanaPT

yup. . . My son thinks catchin fish is easy.
Attached Images

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

My first rod/reel was purchased from "Blue Chip Stamps" (anyone remember those?) Well that was 42 long years ago and i still have the setup. Can't remember the first fish but I know it was on the same rod, I was five at the time
TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
slobslayer

Nice post... Last week I was going thrOugh my old fishing stuff and found my first fishing pole. Its a chartreuse fiberglass rod with a pushbutton reel. I may refurbish it and try to catch some bass again.
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
YakNutz

My avatar is my daughters first fish, cranked it through the surf all by herself at 2 and a half years old..that's a fish I'll never forget.
YakNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
dorado50

I take kids fishing when the chance arises, no better feeling watching those kids catch a fish! This little boy and girl have gone on to catch dorado and sailfish(mostly on their own) in the last couple of years. The boy here in this pic can actually run my boat now(with alittle guidence of course)......

dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
GregAndrew

No kids of my own, but I love to support both kids and other deserving groups getting out on the water.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
FishNinjaY

I'm close to buying my first kayak, hopefully, a Hobie tandem. Looking for a good fishing yak for me and my son. So far, we've been surf fishing and float tube fishing. My son loves it!

Kids Fishing... awesome!
http://youtu.be/C9IeJPiXsH0

My middle girl (7) is a bit too much of a princess, but hopefully, my youngest girl (5) will grow up with the bug!
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
tomahawk

My dad wasn't a big outdoorsman, but my uncle was. He bought me a rod and reel when I was 7 or 8. Then badgered my dad until he took me fishing. First trip was to campland in mission bay for a weekend. Only thing I caught was an octopus. My parents bought my sister a rod and she caught a 20" halibut. Didn't return to salt water for 8 years. turns out dad gets sea sick. fished lots of lakes all over california. When iwas old enough to go out on 1/2 day boats on my own i was hooked. I started my son fishing when he was 4 or 5, I have a great picture of his first barri on a 1/2 day trip when he was 7. I remember how stoked I was when he caught his first yellowfin all on his own and how happy he was. Fishing with him is and always will be one my great joys in life.
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
Hypnofish
Junior

Here is our recent memory!

Here is a memorable one with my 12 year old son on his lime green mini X. Super Bowl Sunday we changed up our routine and went out Kayak fishing. We meet three dudes that were bigger than any Ravens lineman.

https://vimeo.com/user2958944/review...234/cb5390cc53
Hypnofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnofish View Post
Here is a memorable one with my 12 year old son on his lime green mini X. Super Bowl Sunday we changed up our routine and went out Kayak fishing. We meet three dudes that were bigger than any Ravens lineman.

https://vimeo.com/user2958944/review...234/cb5390cc53
you're gonna need a bigger boat!
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #14
Fish4Fun

I remember mine. Had to saved many weeks to afford a Daiwa casting rod (I was fascinated by the rod having a U offset) and a spinning reel. I remember this well because the first day I used it we had to run from a sudden tropical downpour. In my haste I lost the fastener screw to hold the reel. Luckily the guy at store from who I bought the reel fashioned a a wing nut and a screw for me. So for the rest of many years, I had the most weird looking setup for hey I had so much fun...
Fish4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
wade

Nice look back down memory lane, Walrus!
I remember mine..

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
driftwood

Yup, First impressions last for ever in a kids mind.

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
bellcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
No kids of my own, but I love to support both kids and other deserving groups getting out on the water.
Hell Greg, I have a few you can help support
Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #18
RGB

Great stories! My son just got his first fish last week in Mission Bay (he just turned 3). Just a little Lizardfish that most would consider a nuisance, but i'll never forget it. Hopefully he'll remember it too, if not i have the picture to prove it.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
theluckypig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Hell Greg, I have a few you can help support
ditto!
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
JarrodMc

My pops was never a part of my life but my mom sure did the job well. She took me out to Lake Wohlford and a local old man that always fished the lake, Nick, helped me get us set up on my way to catching my first rainbow trout. My mom and I ended up going more often and Nick was nice enough to even give me an old rod/reel combo he had. Man did I catch some trout on that. And 15 or so years later I'm still fishin. I don't always catch but hey, you don't win the lotto if you don't play.
JarrodMc is offline   Reply With Quote