Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
fishchaser25

Friday 2/27/09

My friend brad and I Headed out to LJ with hopes of yellow. We launched around 4am and paddled out to the light boats. when i got there i relized that the boat was the ULTRA (a bout i used to run deck on) so i pulled up to them and lo-&-behold it was an old friend that i havn't seen for a few months. after some caching up I asked him the golden question ( do you have any live squid?) and of corse he did. after he loaded me up with a full scoop. I tossed him a cupple beers and went on my way. My friend and I headed out to the spot and started getting some good marks on the FF in about 78ft of water. I thought man this might be a really early bite. we droped our live baits down and waited. after about 10 min i see the marks again and my rid gets hit hard. I grabed the rod and wait for the run......Nothing????? I check my bait and it is all mangled but still in one peice. I rebait and drop back down. this tme im holding the rod and when the marks showed up again i would be ready and like clock work they show a few min later and im hit again. this time i stick the fish and its pulling line on my 25# but not like a yellow. so i put the hammer down and pulled up a monster calico. thing had to be about 8 lbs. beautiful fish. turned her loose with thoughts of biger game. moved a little further outside the kelp so i wouldnt get hung up and then got ready again. droped my lines back down and very slow trolled around. then i here my friend yell and i look back to see him hooked up. i went to check on him and the fish was kicking his A$$ on 40# line so i let him fight it and went on my way. after about 20 min i get slamed again on my bait stick and im on. this fish feels HUGE and is towing me around like a kid on a scateboard holdine onto a bus. after about a 45min fight i pulled up a huge BSB. didnt have the camera and was way outside the boat show so i just unkooked her and made a sucessful release. then i kooked over and saw my friend still on his fish???? I paddled over and asked him if he was ever going to land that thing or was he just going to play with it. he looked at me and said i think he kelped me. so after a few more min of playing with it i took the rod and gave it some slack. nothing was pulling, no head shakes and only the weight from the swell pulled back so i said he lost it and pulled untill the ling broke. I decided to play with the bass for a while and landed about 20. all but 2 C&R. i looked over to see my friend finally boat a nice sandy and he asked if he could keep it. i said only keep what your going to eat tonight. we then headed over to boat show to see if anything had poped up in our absence. and of corse nothing but BSB were landed. about 15min later i see a PBer hook up outside the crowd. he landed a monster yellow and that was all she wrote. i then started to head back to the launch when i relized that my keys were not in my front zipper pouch and then it hit me. in all the comotion of the launch i forgot to sto them away.. when i landed i tore my yak apart and found nothing. luckely there was a few yakers on the beach who lent me there phone to call a lock smith. had a new key for my truck and was on my way home. so all in all still a better day on the water than in the office

here is my friend brad with his sandy and my calicos.

P.S. thanks to all who hepled my find a lock smith. I O U BIG TIME.
O and thanks again Matt the bait tank works great and held a full scoop of squid all day with no dead.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
esdees
The Good Clone

Not a problem. Hopefully someone finds your keys for you.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
fishchaser25

Ya. I really don’t care about the keys they are replaceable. I consider that a donation to Davey Jones....... he will repay me some day.
It’s really the ring that is on them. It means allot to me