Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

Question about clothing on the water

Specifically pants. . .

I've been wearing ripstop cargo pants for the longest... I always take one or two over the bow when launching, soak them through, and they dry pretty quick... They get the job done in an elevated seat on my outback. . .

In my scupper, I'm basically sitting in water all day. First day out I just wore some board shorts and it was fine.... But I cook super easy and I'd always rather to have fabric than have to remember to reapply sunscreen every couple of hours. (chances are I just won't)

I noticed NRS and Level 6 make .5mil neoprene leggings specifically meant for paddling, and there are a ton of options for more rashguard type lycra leggings to be worn under some shorts.

I see a lot of people wearing dry pants, but I'm not interested in going that route unless there's a pair that are remarkably cool and breathable.

Warmth isn't really a big deal so much as durability. If anything I'm afraid I'd overheat in neoprene. Curious if anyone has gone this route and has a suggestion.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
GTboosted

You're in a tough spot.

The Vantage seats are a life saver for me. When I started, in a Wilderness Systems kayak that was my main dislike...Having a wet seat.

I dont think theres a good solution for SoCal for me since I go out many miles each trip. The effort to pedal each way is like a workout and the mild weather gets hot quick.. I bought a a very cheap military dry suit that is made of gore tex which is supposed to be breathable. To be honest I never even wore it cause it still looks like you can get hot.

I've been out in calm winter/fall days and sometimes I need to wet my shirt or pants to cool off. A dry suit will not keep me cooler than breathable pants and shirt. Much less a neoprene pants.

Theres people that wear the nice "goretex" stuff but I get hot fast. Maybe buy one from a place that has a good return policy to try out?
Old 07-07-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
Bruntoj

Neoprene, no matter how thin, is going to be a hot sweaty impermeable barrier, prone to stink. I like my NRS breathable waders. On hot winter days I’ll either keep wetting them with a sponge, or take them off. In summer, like you, I favor the thinnest nylon pants I can find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
jruiz
Large Member

My clothing choices are normally based on how warm it is, if I expect to get wet, and the fact that I hate applying sunblock. I never wear any type of shorts unless it's a really short session. I'm always wearing a cheap set of hiking pants and, if I plan to get wet or it's cold, I wear waders over that. If it's cold in the morning and heats up in the day then I just remove the waders.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:10 AM   #5
tak100
Recruit

I use NRS pants but they are not neoprene (NRS H2Core Lightweight Pant). Some blended fabric.

They have held up for 2.5 season so far. They go in the washer but I let them air dry.

They are definitely not waterproof but they dry quickly.

About $50 on Amazon.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #6
ProfessorLongArms

Thanks for the input everybody!

@tak100, Funny enough, I ended up getting a pair of those exact NRS pants last night... I figured where I fish it's pretty toasty right now with a slight chill when it's overcast and windy...

Once we start getting past fall, I can look into neoprene if it's just balls cold, or at that point go with more of a dry pant.

The only thing I wish I could find is a high top water shoe that's more of a breathable, great draining stretch fabric.... I have had the NRS desperados for a year and they just fill up with water when I launch with almost no drainage. I'm looking at a couple other models, but haven't seen anything that isn't just a neoprene boot that holds water in.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
Quansters
Junior

I like the nrs high top for shoes because they keep out debris, sand, and mud mostly. I don’t care about being wet or I wouldn’t be kayak fishing. The water inside the shoes eventually get warm by my own body temp and since it is insulated from the outside, I get to keep my feet in warn water, keeping the foot from getting too hot or too cold. The downside is that the shoes absolutely stink after use so you gotta do something about it.

For now, I just wear dry fit athletic pants and dry fit long sleeve shirt for fishing. It get dry faster than cotton but it is not hot and uncomfortable. Not sure what I will do for winter if I bother going out at all
Quansters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
scisports
Junior

Just got these from Amazon,really like em
scisports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:29 PM   #9
scisports
Junior

Try again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5DF7DD12-2B2B-4A74-8266-4458EEF8B4CD.jpg (44.3 KB, 51 views)
scisports is offline   Reply With Quote