Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
scisports
Junior

Fish finder options

Hello!
New to kayak fishing, and just bought my PA14, and am wanting to get a fishfinder, preferably Lowrance to use the preenabled transducer connection.

I’ve seen some negative reviews on the hook2 4x or 5x line. Was thinking about the hook2 5 SplitShot, but wanted to get feedback from the forum on this. Split screen capability for chirp/downs an is a must for me (I think). I have zero experience with fishfinders.

I’ve heard that these units are not really waterproof, and that the saltwater environment willl do them in, esp in a rollover situation. I haven’t tipped yet, but I also have yet to venture into LJ.

Any advice is appreciated!
scisports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Bruntoj

I have the first gen Hook5. After a few wet dunkings in the first 6 months of ownership I had to replace it under warranty at West Marine. Since then I’ve always dry bagged it for launch and landing. It’s year 3 now.

I pretty much have given up on the bells and whistles and just leave it in split screen mode with 83mhz (or kHz, whatever) and map mode. Got it tuned the way I like it for color/hardness/clarity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
bolocop

Same thing happened. One trip, rolled and unit was dead. I don't dry bag, I just turn it off when landing and I sealed around the map chip door with silicon caulk.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote