Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-04-2016, 06:13 AM   #1
iethinker

WOW...the CALICO BITE Is On….Plus SHARK EVENT Footage!

This is a Kayak Fishing Report form Solana Beach on 7/30/2016.

At first light, I made my way out of the river mouth into the surf zone managing to fill the bathtub twice. I definitely did not time this well but punched through fully upright none the less. There was definitely a stronger surf than two days ago.

Today's mission was to catch fresh GBMs for some forthcoming surf shark fishing and then to focus on Bass inshore. Given the inadequate performance of the Kastmaster on GBMs last Thursday I brought a Sabiki Today. Well, the Sabiki definitely hooked-up catching GBMs, Anchovies, Lizzard Fish and Bonito.

For some alternative SHARK entertainment, you can (click to see my shark video here).

I always enjoy a good sunrise while fishing for bait. This is looking back towards the river mouth at Del Mar and edge of Solana Cliffs. The conditions were smooth early on.

Three Bonito on a Sabiki is quite a fight:

The wind and swell picked up considerably mid morning and I caught this cool shot of a fellow Kayaker on the horizon as a swell approached. I wonder who it is?:

OK...let's get to the Bass.

Today, was one of the hottest Calico Bass bites I have ever experienced. I did not count but had to have caught at least 20 Calicos in a relatively short session with 75% easily being legal or well above.

While everything I threw got hit, the champion lure was my green & silver swim bait as shown in my prior report. It landed only legal sized versions again and again and again. (click here for report showing specific lure). This lure ultimately became tattered and torn and then the hook mostly ripped out of it. Fortunately, I had a 6-inch Kaelin's White grub that fit on the same jig head and continued the fun.

I threw the 1-oz Kastmaster (you know I had to) for some smaller Calicos along the inner kelp. I tossed a 5-inch Hot Carl Big Hammer for not so much love being just one catch. Finally, I dropped one of my live GBMs down and hooked up to the final little monster of the day.

Here are some of the highlights:

Smaller Calico caught on a Kastmaster:

Small Sand Bass caught on a Kastmaster shown for variety:

20-inch (measured) Calico Bass from the bottom by a bush on Kaelin's 6" grub:

21-inch (measured) Calico Bass hit my live GBM by a special spot:

The last two photos don't do justice because the fish are curved (shortened perspective) down in my kayak well. Between their size and the wind chop at those moments they were too difficult to capture in full glory by holding them in front of my smartphone. I wish I had a few more opportunities for some on the water shots from fellow yakers as those are the best of all.

Bonus SHARK EVENT Video Here:

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by iethinker; 08-19-2016 at 06:11 AM.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
maquinapescado

It is weird how that spot in particular gets so much Leopard Shark action. It's like guaranteed with an hours time or so when the water is 68 or higher.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #3
carbonbass

cool video, care to share the spinning set up?
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
Dave Legacy

You've ousted the famed secret spot!!! =P
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
Corvina
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
You've ousted the famed secret spot!!! =P
Nah it's still secret Dave........
Corvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #6
iethinker

Spinning Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
cool video, care to share the spinning set up?
Rod = TSAWESS-1142 XH I might go lighter up the chart even to 10.6' if I was to do it again for this (so cal beach sharks) application. I bought my specific rod thinking for South Florida beach sharks. These rods are very parabolic and are made for casting long distances.

Reel = Penn Spinfisher V 6500 LL. I'll go 7500 with 65-lb braid on this rod in Florida/East. Probably 5500 with 30-lb better for the lighter 10.6' Tsunami here.

Don't forget the sputniks and circle hooks.

Matt
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote